What's new

Obama: US to leave 8,400 troops in Afghanistan

A-Team

Reaction score
Country
Afghanistan
This is very significant shift as it signals long term commitment to AF security, and it also attaches how important of a strategic partner AF is to the US.

@pakistani342 : Your thesis that the US has already left is disapproved as I always maintained that the US is here to stay for a very very long time, decades to come. This latest move is just one indicator in that direction and also the recent tweets from GHQ declaring that they will now allow anyone from Pakistan to destabilize AF is probably also taken because GHQ now knows that the US is here to stay for a very very long time and is fully invested in the security of Afghanistan.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/286638-us-to-leave-8400-troops-in-afghanistan

Wow congratulations on eternal slavery :)

Slavery? :) it is all about interests my friend, AF and US interests converge and thus we welcome their stay in AF for as long as its needed.

How do you describe PAK-Chinese relationship, one of equals ? What has chinese communist have in common with a Pakistani muslim? Nothing but here you are taking pride whenever the word China is mentioned :)

Your smarter than this :)

This is very significant shift as it signals long term commitment to AF security, and it also attaches how important of a strategic partner AF is to the US.

@pakistani342 : Your thesis that the US has already left is disapproved as I always maintained that the US is here to stay for a very very long time, decades to come. This latest move is just one indicator in that direction and also the recent tweets from GHQ declaring that they will now allow anyone from Pakistan to destabilize AF is probably also taken because GHQ now knows that the US is here to stay for a very very long time and is fully invested in the security of Afghanistan.

:-) playboy or penthouse?

The 8000 is a mere token presence -- it's primary purpose is so that US lawmakers cannot simply ignore Afghanistan.

On the GHQ -- yup trust the GHQ -- I also have a bridge I'd like to sell you ;-)

As long as US forces are in Afghanistan Taliban will see Afghan Govt as a Puppet of US and any Peace negotiations will not work. These troops are only to protect US interests in Afghanistan and non of these will be in combat role except Drone strikes.
In a country like Afghanistan with its current scenario Peace negotiation is the only option but unfortunately the Warlords,ANA and Northern alliance are only interested in themselves just like the rest of 1.5 billion south asians.
Niether US nor Afghanistan has the manpower and resources to defeat Afghan taliban, Even if this job was handed over to Pakistan Army they would have failed to.

As long as US forces are in Afghanistan Taliban will see Afghan Govt as a Puppet of US and any Peace negotiations will not work. These troops are only to protect US interests in Afghanistan and non of these will be in combat role except Drone strikes.
In a country like Afghanistan with its current scenario Peace negotiation is the only option but unfortunately the Warlords,ANA and Northern alliance are only interested in themselves just like the rest of 1.5 billion south asians.
Niether US nor Afghanistan has the manpower and resources to defeat Afghan taliban, Even if this job was handed over to Pakistan Army they would have failed to.

Even if the U.S. forces were out, the Taliban won't accept the current govt. unless the Taliban is in control itself. Course there will be many Afghans that will fight the Taliban like last time and it be like the Afghan Civil War all over again anyways.

Even if the U.S. forces were out, the Taliban won't accept the current govt. unless the Taliban is in control itself. Course there will be many Afghans that will fight the Taliban like last time and it be like the Afghan Civil War all over again anyways.

They used to have the same argument back when the PDPA government was in place, the argument used by the so called Mujahideen was that if the Soviets leave AF then the Mujahideen will make peace with the PDPA because they are fellow Afghans. The Soviets left but the Mujahideen ( so called) never stopped fighting the PDPA, the PDPA actually kicked their butt in the Jalalabad battle and others ( Hamid Gul ISI chief lost his job because of it ) but of course Soviet Union collapsed and one side lost.

We are not fools to believe this argument, the NUG will make the ANSF and its institutions strongest, if the Talis wants to make peace, accept the constitutions then fine, if not then the ANSF will defeat them in the battlefield like the Sri Lankans did to the Tamils.

Simple case!!

If there was any way that we could finish off these talibans than i would be the first person to support this, but there isn't atleast in the coming decade. Also this fact should be considered that Afghan taliban are not like ISIS or Al qaeda they can be reasoned with, i know some of there demands could be harsh but for now we could give something up today and slowly bring them into mainstream so they could learn how to live in a civilized world.
White house also has admitted that Afghan taliban is a political reality in Afghanistan.

They used to have the same argument back when the PDPA government was in place, the argument used by the so called Mujahideen was that if the Soviets leave AF then the Mujahideen will make peace with the PDPA because they are fellow Afghans. The Soviets left but the Mujahideen ( so called) never stopped fighting the PDPA, the PDPA actually kicked their butt in the Jalalabad battle and others ( Hamid Gul ISI chief lost his job because of it ) but of course Soviet Union collapsed and one side lost.

We are not fools to believe this argument, the NUG will make the ANSF and its institutions strongest, if the Talis wants to make peace, accept the constitutions then fine, if not then the ANSF will defeat them in the battlefield like the Sri Lankans did to the Tamils.

Simple case!!
300,000 soldiers from Nato and US with all sort of weapons and tech/Air power could not do it in 15 years, How do you plan on doing this with 600 Armoured vehicles?

If there was any way that we could finish off these talibans than i would be the first person to support this, but there isn't atleast in the coming decade. Also this fact should be considered that Afghan taliban are not like ISIS or Al qaeda they can be reasoned with, i know some of there demands could be harsh but for now we could give something up today and slowly bring them into mainstream so they could learn how to live in a civilized world.
White house also has admitted that Afghan taliban is a political reality in Afghanistan.

Didn't you guys already tried that with the Pakistan Taliban?

Reasoned with ? Why is Pakistan not reasoning with TTP ?

Didn't you guys already tried that with the Pakistan Taliban?
We did give them chance for negotiations but didn't worked out due to continous US drones strikes on leaders we were talking with.
But we had the ability to take them to the cleaners unlike US and Afghan and we did. Thier is not a single inch in our tribal areas where TTP has presence, Most of them are dead(80%) while the rest have fled to Afghanistan.
Yesterday US senator Mccain visited those tribal aras himself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom