What's new

Obama: US to leave 8,400 troops in Afghanistan

Slavery? :) it is all about interests my friend, AF and US interests converge and thus we welcome their stay in AF for as long as its needed.

How do you describe PAK-Chinese relationship, one of equals ? What has chinese communist have in common with a Pakistani muslim? Nothing but here you are taking pride whenever the word China is mentioned :)

Your smarter than this :)

Yes but the chinese are investing in Pakistan not bombing us or sending in their soldiers. Thats the difference between being a slave in case of AF-US and strategic partner in case of Pak - China. USA is an occupying force in afghanistan that has killed thousands of afghans by bombing them . I think you should listen to your media where they feel helpless infront of US because everything frm your goverment policies to soldier salary is paid by US. I call this master - slave relation:)

Reasoned with ? Why is Pakistan not reasoning with TTP ?

Because TTP is finished and dismantled in Pakistan :)

They used to have the same argument back when the PDPA government was in place, the argument used by the so called Mujahideen was that if the Soviets leave AF then the Mujahideen will make peace with the PDPA because they are fellow Afghans. The Soviets left but the Mujahideen ( so called) never stopped fighting the PDPA, the PDPA actually kicked their butt in the Jalalabad battle and others ( Hamid Gul ISI chief lost his job because of it ) but of course Soviet Union collapsed and one side lost.

We are not fools to believe this argument, the NUG will make the ANSF and its institutions strongest, if the Talis wants to make peace, accept the constitutions then fine, if not then the ANSF will defeat them in the battlefield like the Sri Lankans did to the Tamils.

Simple case!!

Some points for thoughts:
1. How long did the Sri Lankan civil war take?
2. How large is Sri Lankan compared to Afghanistan
3. Can the Sri Lankan insurgency re-emerge
4. Did the Sri Lankan insurgency have current support of a state that borders Sri Lanka (Hint Hint)
5. How does Sri Lanka compare with Afghanistan as a state -- GDP, connectedness, quality and quantity of education, etc. etc.

Why even bother at this point? You can't win in Afghanistan. All you can do is keep violence contained, but eventually you will lose that fight too.

It's hopeless, the best thing to do is leave Afghanistan to it's own devices and let them choose what to do. Foreign intervention is a waste of time, most of them don't like it, and those that do are just as bad (if not worse) than the Taliban.

Americans are going now where , taliban and its backers will just keep throwing money into the drain.
End result status quo.

Its good that USA will maintain few bases in Afghanistan for long time....No doubt that USA and Afghan govt are here to stay.

Slavery? :) it is all about interests my friend, AF and US interests converge and thus we welcome their stay in AF for as long as its needed.

How do you describe PAK-Chinese relationship, one of equals ? What has chinese communist have in common with a Pakistani muslim? Nothing but here you are taking pride whenever the word China is mentioned :)

Your smarter than this :)
China did not invade Pakistan and then create the post invasion government and state institutions and then be "patron" to an "independent" Afghanistan after the great effort she went to in invading and state building.

Apples and oranges.

Those who control the US have their interests which conflict with Pakistan's and the interests of the NATO created Afghan state post 9/11 are converging with the principal invader in NATO, then therefore NUG's interest conflict with Pakistan's. This means more conflict unfortunately.

So you are telling me that just because AF did not agree with Pak admission in the UN 1947 then it continues to do what it does in 2016 :D not buying this one ;)

May AF is funding the TTP ( personally I don't agree with funding any terrorist group) but have you wondered why? Because I think it is very simple, you fund my enemy and I fund your enemy!

Not just not accept Pakistan in the UN in 1947; but then fomented insurgencies in the Western border regions of Pakistan, taking succor from other nations who were not exactly friendly to Pakistan. Afghanistan then did this at a time when Pakistan was very unstable and weak and the state could not even fully defend herself. (Praise Allah for the Tribal Pukhtoons during that time who helped Pakistan in these grave issues).
Now once Pakistan had stabilized herself, she did what she had to do to defend herself from Afghanistan's interference. It was Afghanistan who drew "first blood" so to speak. This is very important!!
How can Pakistan forget this? (Forgive of course is possible) This is not simply the case that Afghanistan offered her protest in a non-aggressive way at the UN but she actively sought to sabotege and foment rebellion inside Pakistan with the help of other unfriendly nations. The difference between them is like the difference between heaven and earth.

Oh I see troops outside of walls and camps. Wow that debunk your BS.

Does the Taliban able to move freely without fear? Nope.
599x430

18mag-afghanistan-master1050.jpg

u.s._troops_in_afghanistan.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/taliban-control-afghanistan-highest-u-s-invasion-n507031
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...2213e8-9cfb-11e5-9ad2-568d814bbf3b_story.html

over and out_________________________

That all you can do? That is nothing.

That was a different reason. This is different. We all know that this so called war on terror and the action taken under its title has spawned terror like never before.

Afghanistan strategic location provides an ideal outpost to keep an eye on the region. This area is also called 'heart of Asia'. Its a great geographic location. The thing is how long can America sustain such an expensive adventure.

Really? Could have fooled me if the U.S. had really taken an interest in that region enough to send forces in during the Soviet-Afghan war and stay there permanently.

This is very significant shift as it signals long term commitment to AF security, and it also attaches how important of a strategic partner AF is to the US.

@pakistani342 : Your thesis that the US has already left is disapproved as I always maintained that the US is here to stay for a very very long time, decades to come. This latest move is just one indicator in that direction and also the recent tweets from GHQ declaring that they will now allow anyone from Pakistan to destabilize AF is probably also taken because GHQ now knows that the US is here to stay for a very very long time and is fully invested in the security of Afghanistan.

http://thehill.com/policy/defense/286638-us-to-leave-8400-troops-in-afghanistan
Good decision, but I’m not surprised. In the first place, Obama administration should have never floated the zero option strategy, it demoralize the Afghans and encouraged Taliban/AQ terrorists. And I’m glad that in 2013 I was one of those who criticized the zero option strategy:

https://defence.pk/threads/why-zero-is-not-an-option.265438/#post-4549430

Pakistani342, as an American taxpayer, trust me, I fully understand your frustration, but the problem is if we prematurely cut our losses and run, then all the human and financial sacrifices we have made so far will go in the drain and top of that the US will lose all its credibility, it will give a tremendous boost to our enemies, (especially the Global Jihadist) the consequence of that will be more chaos in South Asia, Africa and Middle East, keep in mind, most of the oil supplies of the West comes from these regions.

Anyone who has been following Afghanistan war knows its security forces alone are not capable in defending their country from the Global jihadist onslaught, they will need our support in intelligence, logistics, air support and especially we need bases for our drones, which I genuinely believe are terrorist killers.

Now the important question is, to achieve these tasks, how many troops should we leave behind, the US military wants around 20,000, on the other hand, before floating the zero option the Obama administration was considering around 6000.

Note, currently we have around 60,000 troops and our budget for Afghanistan is around 100 billion dollars for the year 2012-2013.

Just remember my friend, the last time we abandoned Afghanistan (and Pakistan), Afghanistan ultimately ended up as international terrorist hub from where the Al Qaeda planned, trained and executed attacks on our embassies in Africa and the September 11 attacks.

Our minimum goal should be to leave the country stable enough that it does not plunge into yet another civil war, which can also severely threaten the stability of nuclear Pakistan.

Just watched in news, Nato to stay in Afghanistan for long too... probably they'll keep around 8000-10000 forces too.

Good decision, but I’m not surprised. In the first place, Obama administration should have never floated the zero option strategy, it demoralize the Afghans and encouraged Taliban/AQ terrorists. And I’m glad that in 2013 I was one of those who criticized the zero option strategy:

https://defence.pk/threads/why-zero-is-not-an-option.265438/#post-4549430

Pakistani342, as an American taxpayer, trust me, I fully understand your frustration, but the problem is if we prematurely cut our losses and run, then all the human and financial sacrifices we have made so far will go in the drain and top of that the US will lose all its credibility, it will give a tremendous boost to our enemies, (especially the Global Jihadist) the consequence of that will be more chaos in South Asia, Africa and Middle East, keep in mind, most of the oil supplies of the West comes from these regions.

My brother @RabzonKhan, forgive me for the curt response but your argument's weight is, give or take: zero.

Let me unpack that for you again (as I believe our previous discussions followed the same lines of logic):

There are several follies that the human mind has not evolved to comprehend. For example:
1. The Gambler's folly: since I lost the last 4 hands, my luck must be about to turn: NOT, I end up loosing my shirt
2. Naive physics: if I jump of the third floor, say a atop skateboard and just a few feet off the ground, I again jump off, this time the skateboard onto terra-firma, I'll be fine: NOT: the best case is I'll end up in the emergency room with every major bone in my body fractured
3. But my favorite (and one that US senators and the Pakistani common man seem to suffer from a most is): Sunk cost: I've spent $1,000,000 to build a house that I don't need and no one else will buy spend a $100 dollars for. But let me spend another $1,000 to finish it so my existing $1,000,000 investment does not go to waste: feels right doesn't it -- but is also sheer-stupidity. Your argument falls in this category

Now if we go by the current Afghan narrative (which I believe to be largely accurate), specifically the one Ghani sab has been able to enunciate (not the US or Pakistani public narratives): Afghanistan is fighting an undeclared war imposed on Afghanistan by Pakistan. Or in other words the Pakistani GHQ is using an unlawful means of war to achieve policy objectives in Afghanistan. What are these policy objectives: that Afghanistan should accept Pakistani *guidance* (euphemism for control) over its foreign and defense policies. This is totally acceptable to me as a US taxpayer and is inline with US interests and spending a single taxpayer earned dollar or two drops of blood of our servicemen's and women's blood is an outrage.

Sovereignty means being able to pay your bills (the same argument applies to Pakistan, and all the other good sovereign nations of the world), Afghanistan cannot be a sovereign country if its government's salaries are footed (including those of our brother @A-Team) by my tax dollars and 10% of its population lives in its principal enemy county (Pakistan) -- If Afghanistan is not a sovereign country and is unwilling to either foot the bill from its own coffers, it should accept the *Jurnails* terms, they are are reasonable.

The *Jurnail sahiban's* terms are actually very good for me as a US citizen (and for the common Afghan citizen, and believe it, even for the Afghan elites), if securing their strategic depth, makes the *Jurnails* sleep better at night, it makes them less twitchy and thus less likely to unholster their nukes in their next confrontation with *Chappan-inch-ki-chatti-wala*, the last one was in 2008 so the next one is sadly overdue according to the clock. If the *Jurnail-sahiban* are less twitchy it makes it more likely that they will allow the civilian government to promote trade with India and encourage people to people contacts. If there is decreased tensions it may even allow *Chappan-inch-ki-chatti-wala* to reciprocate.

The Afghans elites don't have a case. 10% of their population lives in Pakistan. Their poor masses (not select few elite) come to Pakistan for health needs, education and trade. Let's be serious: Afghanistan in its current form, absent my hard-hard earned tax dollars is the 5th province of Pakistan -- if you want to be *proud Afghan* (as brother Saleh is so fond off) then put you dollars where your mouth is -- not my dollars please. I you want to be a proud sovereign Afghanistan, display your pride by leaving Pakistan and going back to build your country: Afghanistan. Further, if the 15 Afghans want to get their legs waxed and skin exfoliated so they can wear those short-short *eskerts* (skirts) please do it with your own dollars and not my hard-hard earned tax dollars [who knows maybe our brother @A-Team is actually our sister @A-Team -- makes no difference to me].

Just remember my friend, the last time we abandoned Afghanistan (and Pakistan), Afghanistan ultimately ended up as international terrorist hub from where the Al Qaeda planned, trained and executed attacks on our embassies in Africa and the September 11 attacks.

Our minimum goal should be to leave the country stable enough that it does not plunge into yet another civil war, which can also severely threaten the stability of nuclear Pakistan.

My brother, again, I cannot find a kinder word for this, above, piece of yours, other than: sheer stupidity. The horrendous crime of 9/11 was actually planned in Hamburg and a major part of it was executed in Florida and 17 or 19 Hijackers (the numbers may be off by 1 or 2) were Saudi citizens. As I get older my memory has been failing more and more, but I don't remember that we sent an invasion force to Florida or flattened Hamburg or sanctioned Saudi Arabia till Saudi women can bathe nude on the corniche of Jeddah.

The sad reality of this form of post modern conflict is that it can come from anywhere, and if the unthinkable were to ever happen again it will most likely happen from areas that are closer to us and where the people are more economically mobile and educated: Syria, Iraq, the greater Levant and North Africa.

Further if Afghanistan is to accept the *Jurnail's* terms, the instability in Afghanistan will subside and we can focus on curing the real afflictions of Islamic extremism and not the cosmetic ones. If 3,000,000 Afghans refuse to go back to their country despite the harassment they receive in Pakistan, perhaps the remaining 27,000,000 Afghans will be better off as a Pakistani citizens (even if: as second class citizens, hey I was a second class citizen of Pakistan and it was tolerable, if not desirable) -- [note emphasis on better off -- I advocate nothing less of than equal citizenship under a loose federation]

----

Post script

I think it was either *Prince Saraj Ali* or *Generaail Wardak* who mused to his American counterpart that he would love to go riding atop a tank in downtown Kabul (meaning our tax dollars should buy him a cute Tank so it's cannon's barrel can add to his *length*) -- to which his American counterpart responded: do you know how much a Tank costs? [best bitch-slap I know off]

Post Post script

Plus a mutually sovereign Afghanistan and Pakistan must have Ghani sab is the next chief of Pakistan Army staff, etc. etc. -- I think *Jurnail Ghani* with his temper won't need that bamboo reed/crop that *Pakistani Jurnails* need to appear *ghabru-javun*. And, we can have our brother @A-Team as the spokesman [or spokes woman] for the Pakistani foreign ministry. He is much better at authoring and orating language that uses words such as "Partnership", "International Partners", "Gender equality", "Brotherhood of Man", "Cure of Cancer" and last but not least "Integration"

Last edited:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom