Obama Chews Gum, Chinese Internet Goes Ballistic

BoQ77

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
Obama Chews Gum, Chinese Internet Goes Ballistic

BN-FM275_Obama_G_20141111011045.jpg

U.S. President Barack Obama (R), in traditional Chinese-style outfit, is greeted by China’s Vice Foreign Minister Li Baodong, as he arrives at Beijing National Aquatics Center, or the Water Cube, for the APEC Welcome Banquet, in Beijing, November 10, 2014. He was chewing gum.
Reuters
President Barack Obama has gone to some lengths to make nice with China as the Asian nation hosts the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum, its most star-studded power conclave since the Olympics.

But he didn’t count on the gum haters.

As the organizers wrapped up the business end of the conference in Beijing on Monday and prepared to kick off its political leg, they had to ferry dozens of leaders and their spouses from a convention center to the Water Cube, the Beijing Olympic swimming venue that was set up to host an APEC dinner for the politicians.

That’s where Obama’s image got all gummed up. First, he didn’t take a ride in one of the official Hongqi cars that China is marketing as a luxury marque and provided especially for the dignitaries, choosing instead to hop on a U.S. State Department limousine.

Second – even worse for some Chinese – he was chewing gum.

This didn’t please many among China’s microblogging commentariat, who were closely watching the live proceedings. “This is in the American manner and humor, but in traditional Chinese culture, it is immature and not serious behavior!” one blogger thundered.

I guess such a meeting is very normal to US, as they have too many important meetings.
So Obama feel very comfortable to do everything he want.

Remember, he's a democratic.

I guess such a meeting is very normal to US, as they have too many important meetings.

How do you know? What do you mean by "important"? Other countries do not have important meetings? And how much Obama is busy with hosting 20 something heads of state? On a daily basis?

Everybody does whatever they want. I did not see Mr. Putin behaving like not Putin. Obama has done what he is best for, so has everybody else.

What is "Obama democratic" that we need to remember?

How do you know? What do you mean by "important"? Other countries do not have important meetings? And how much Obama is busy with hosting 20 something heads of state? On a daily basis?

Everybody does whatever they want. I did not see Mr. Putin behaving like not Putin. Obama has done what he is best for, so has everybody else.

What is "Obama democratic" that we need to remember?

Democratic party fight for democracy, in order to do as many thing as they can.
So chewing a gum is free to them everywhere, of course

Democratic party fight for democracy, in order to do as many thing as they can.
So chewing a gum is free to them everywhere, of course

Did your parents teach you what is social manners ? :fie:
why Obama didnt shit in his pants while meeting President Xi when he has absolute freedom to do so as a democrat :bad:

Manners are important in democratic Europe. When ex-Chancelor Kohl recently said that Merkel doesn't have proper table manner (she does not know how to use the cutlery properly) that was big news in Germany.

When applying for a senior position in a reputable company, one is always invited for a private dinner before any further serious discussion happens. The dinner is called the knife-and-fork-test. Guess why!

Did your parents teach you what is social manners ? :fie:
why Obama didnt shit in his pants while meeting President Xi when he has absolute freedom to do so as a democrat :bad:

You are starting to person attack, aren't you?

China could ban social media as their will, but you cannot ban the facebook, youtube usage of other nations.
If someone want to wear mask or have a beard, don't try to reveal to look at their face or shave their beard out of their will.

USA is more open than even European, so that's an acceptable, unless Obama spit his gum onto your floor. As I heard when Chinese go aboard , they eject their saliva everywhere. Is it social manner ?

The Shenzhen campaign, which concludes tomorrow, includes lectures, posters and a scroll of vignettes about the faux pas of Wu Li, an imaginary Chinese traveling abroad whose name sounds like “no manners” in Mandarin.

The campaign follows several embarrassing incidents by overseas Chinese travelers in recent years, including Chinese youth who drew graffiti on a 3,500-year-old Egyptian temple and reports of tourists in the Maldives faking marriage licenses to get honeymoon discounts. More recently in April in Hong Kong, just across the border from Shenzhen, the sight of a two-year-old Chinese child relieving himself on a local street went viral, sparking impassioned discussion.

Through Mr. Wu, Shenzhen residents are told in campaign literature not to cut in line, use cell phones in theaters, pretend they don’t know what a tip is (tipping isn’t common in China) or harass animals in public. Travelers also are advised to respect the personal space of others, and foreigners in particular. Specifically, they’re advised to stay a half-meter away from close relations, a meter and a half from acquaintances and up to three meters away from strangers. Helllooo, can you hear me over there?.”

Last edited:
You are starting to person attack, aren't you?

China could ban social media as their will, but you cannot ban the facebook, youtube usage of other nations.
If someone want to wear mask or have a beard, don't try to reveal to look at their face or shave their beard out of their will.

USA is more open than even European, so that's an acceptable, unless Obama spit his gum onto your floor. As I heard when Chinese go aboard , they eject their saliva everywhere. Is it social manner ?

Ridiculous! what attacks are you talking about? I am just asking a question

Is Obama the head of states of USA? what is the behaviour that he is representing which is different from a commoner on the street like the ill manners of the people of your country? You need more education which is obviously not provided in your country. :bad:

Ridiculous! what attacks are you talking about? I am just asking a question

Is Obama the head of states of USA? what is the behaviour that he is representing which is different from a commoner on the street like the ill manners of the people of your country? You need more education which is obviously not provided in your country. :bad:

He's head of states of America, not your servant, so you could say what's proper behavior to him.
You said No, but you are insulting others.

He's head of states of America, not your servant, so you could say what's proper behavior to him.
You said No, but you are insulting others.

I am giving you what national etiquette should be like:bad:
NO-ONE is chewing gums like what Obama did while attending ceremonial events based on " freedom" as you said which is totally ridiculous and unacceptable :fie:
This is simple manners which are taught at kindergartens and NO-ONE would expect a head of state to act like what Obama did! :dirol:

I am giving you what national etiquette should be like:bad:
NO-ONE is chewing gums like what Obama did while attending ceremonial events based on " freedom" as you said which is totally ridiculous and unacceptable :fie:
This is simple manners which are taught at kindergartens and NO-ONE would expect a head of state to act like what Obama did! :dirol:

Obama is an attorney in USA.
He knows how to behave properly while keeping his own rights.

Of course, he wasn't taught in China kindergarten.
In China kindergarten they have been teaching English and some Western stuff like Glenn Doman, Montessori, or Shichida ... maybe someday they would teach them the right to chew gum in a meeting.

Obama is an attorney in USA.
He knows how to behave properly while keeping his own rights.
Of course, he wasn't taught in China kindergarten.

an attorney so what? this is a disgrace to the American people for their "President" 's not observing a simple "national etiquette" which even kindergarten kids can do properly and comply so easily. That is something your country is missing in education at a very early age :dirol:
He is not your president afterall why you are trying hard to defend for his foul manners :bad:

an attorney so what? this is a disgrace to the American people for their "President" 's not observing a simple "national etiquette" which even kindergarten kids can do properly and comply so easily. That is something your country is missing in education at a very early age :dirol:
He is not your president afterall why you are trying hard to defend for his foul manners :bad:

You could punish your kid in China in such a way freely, that American parent could be arrested if applied to their kids.

china-father-disciplining-son-preview.jpg

chinese-mom-dangles-son-over-balcony.jpg

I support Democracy and human right, you forget?

Do you mean American, especially Mr. Obama also missing in education at a very early age? by do something alien to Chinese view ?

Back
Top Bottom