Nuclear safety policy in Iran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollon

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Greece
I think thats quite an interesting question and i would like to know how this is handeled in Iran.

In Greece our government decided that nuclear power is not an option for Greece. We have enormous seismic activity, active volcanos, Tsunamis and so on. There is no place in Greece that would allow the save operation of a nuclear power plant.

Iran shares this burden with Greece, Iran too as enormous seismic activity. Its reactors are of an older design and in case of a massive earthquake, the system is prone to fail.

Are there plans what to do then? The plant in Busher has no core catcher. If the reactor fails entire Bushher would have to be evacuated. The persian gulf is right nearby and the devastating effects would affect the entire region. Even Bahrain would have to be partly evacuated. If you overlap the Fukushima evacuation zone on Bushehr, Bahrain would be fully within the zone.

So i would like to know is there security debates and what must be done in case of emergency? Is the population aware of the chances but also risks involved?

Are there ideas to invest more in soldar energy? The area of Bushher could produce gigantic amounts of energy through solar power.

Iranians should answer this

But Iran is not a small country like Greece or bahrain.they obviously know these things so can install their reactors in relatively safer place.and no such incident has happened in Iran until today afaik.

Iranians should answer this

But Iran is not a small country like Greece or bahrain.they obviously know these things so can install their reactors in relatively safer place.and no such incident has happened in Iran until today afaik.

The thing is, are iranians willing to sacrifice large areas of their country in case something goes wrong?

I think thats quite an interesting question and i would like to know how this is handeled in Iran.

In Greece our government decided that nuclear power is not an option for Greece. We have enormous seismic activity, active volcanos, Tsunamis and so on. There is no place in Greece that would allow the save operation of a nuclear power plant.

Iran shares this burden with Greece, Iran too as enormous seismic activity. Its reactors are of an older design and in case of a massive earthquake, the system is prone to fail.

Are there plans what to do then? The plant in Busher has no core catcher. If the reactor fails entire Bushher would have to be evacuated. The persian gulf is right nearby and the devastating effects would affect the entire region. Even Bahrain would have to be partly evacuated. If you overlap the Fukushima evacuation zone on Bushehr, Bahrain would be fully within the zone.

So i would like to know is there security debates and what must be done in case of emergency? Is the population aware of the chances but also risks involved?

Are there ideas to invest more in soldar energy? The area of Bushher could produce gigantic amounts of energy through solar power.
Bushehr has been constructed to tolerate earthquakes up to magnitude-9 on the Richter scale. Earthquakes over magnitude-8 are incredibly uncommon in history of the region (the Iranian plateau), let alone magnitude 9.

And pressurized water reactors are one of the safest designs, if not the safest.
The thing is, are iranians willing to sacrifice large areas of their country in case something goes wrong?
The thing is you should learn to research instead of asking idiotic questions. Obviously state-level nuclear scientists understand as much as a 19-year old kid without a university degree (if I remember your age correctly).

The thing is you should learn to research instead of asking idiotic questions. Obviously state-level nuclear scientists understand as much as a 19-year old kid without a university degree (if I remember your age correctly).
I do not know why people ask such questions when no such incident has occurred ever.

I do not know why people ask such questions when no such incident has occurred ever.
He has probably recently watched the Netflix series "Chernobyl" which is almost a propaganda movie to disrepute the Soviets and show their life-saving sacrifices as incompetence and mismanagement and cast those heroes who saved lives of millions of Europeans as zombies that were misinformed by the Soviet state and did not know that their lives were in danger.

The movie is so wrong and poorly made about so many details that makes it more like a fantasy movie made by a bunch of makeup artists than a documentary.

Nuclear Safety Policy in Iran?? Seriously ! :cheesy:

Bushehr has been constructed to tolerate earthquakes up to magnitude-9 on the Richter scale. Earthquakes over magnitude-8 are incredibly uncommon in history of the region (the Iranian plateau), let alone magnitude 9.

And pressurized water reactors are one of the safest designs, if not the safest.

Fukushima was a pressurized nuclear water reactor as well. Its an old system, developed in the 70th. Bushher lays 8 meters over sea level. The persian gulf is a flat sea, prone to tsunamis.

I assume from your answer that there are no evacuation plans ect.

So you say Fukushima, Harrisburg have never happened?

Fukushima was a pressurized nuclear water reactor as well. Its an old system, developed in the 70th. Bushher lays 8 meters over sea level. The persian gulf is a flat sea, prone to tsunamis.

Fukushima was damaged in an earthquake over magnitude-9 which is completely an oddity by all standards and it consisted of several boiling water reactors (learn the difference first, kid).
The incident was a black swan which is extremely rare in the history of the world. We have never recorded an earthquake over magnitude-8 in the recorded history of earthquakes in Iran and Bushehr can tolerate up to magnitude-9 earthquakes.
The largest confirmed earthquake in Iran happened in 2013 in Sistan and Baluchistan of Iran, its magnitude was 7.7 and fortunately it didn't affect the area much because it isn't densely populated (only 35 people died and 117 people were injured).

The Fukushima nuclear incident had nothing to do with the safety of the reactor itself. Go fact yourself. How many people died in the Fukushima reactor incident because of nuclear safety issues? Only one death was confirmed to be related to the accident itself. 6 people developed leukemia in the area, and 2 workers were treated with overexposure to radiation. Compared to the earthquake itself, if anything, that is a strong reason for the safety of the reactor itself.

And the Persian Gulf is not prone to tsunamis. Stop writing nonsense.

Last edited:
sleepy joe is weak president iran should just test nukes and not give a sh1t

There are some small different between possible tsunamis in a sea with average depth of less than 30m with an ocean with average depth of more than 3000m . Well it is my theory but some people may disagree with me

Fukushima was damaged in an earthquake over magnitude-9 which is completely an oddity by all standards and it consisted of several boiling water reactors (learn the difference first, kid).
The incident was a black swan which is extremely rare in the history of the world. We have never recorded an earthquake over magnitude-8 in the recorded history of earthquakes in Iran and Bushehr can tolerate up to magnitude-9 earthquakes.
The largest confirmed earthquake in Iran happened in 2013 in Sistan and Baluchistan of Iran, its magnitude was 7.7 and fortunately it didn't affect the area much because it isn't densely populated (only 35 people died and 117 people were injured).

The Fukushima nuclear incident had nothing to do with the safety of the reactor itself. Go fact yourself. How many people died in the Fukushima reactor incident because of nuclear safety issues? Only one death was confirmed to be related to the accident itself. 6 people developed leukemia in the area, and 2 workers were treated with overexposure to radiation. Compared to the earthquake itself, if anything, that is a strong reason for the safety of the reactor itself.

And the Persian Gulf is not prone to tsunamis. Stop writing nonsense.

Wrong, Fukushima did not get a scratch from the earthquake. The tsunami damaged the electrical grid. After that the cooling system was offline. You had a perfectly unscratched nuclear power plant, melting towards desaster.

And of course is the persian gulf prone to tsunamis. It appears you have no clue how tsunamis work.

Im actually quite shocked about your absence of knowledge.

japan had a tsunami wave hit there nuclear plant on there coast technicians there and workers safely dealt with it . You are talking about 3rd world countries poor procedures and staff to deal in a nuclear crisis good luck

There are some small different between possible tsunamis in a sea with average depth of less than 30m with an ocean with average depth of more than 3000m . Well it is my theory but some people may disagree with me

I study geology at university and the persian gulf is prone to even megatsunamis. Its topography works like a refraction mirror. The indian oceans depth is in average 3800 meters deep, in the arabian sea its even on average 4500 meters. Any strong earthquake in that area can trigger an earthquake. The waves with travel northwards unnoticeable and then push into the persian gulf. There the wave will rise to enormous sizes. Analysis shows that up to 85meters are possible. If you want see a similar scenario, read about the Doggerland Tsunami.

But when i read some comments from some iranians in this topic, i understand that security and precaution is not an issue there and i assumed so.

In the end thats Irans business and not ours. I see the problem that we could see when chernobyl blew up, it speed up the collapse of the USSR. In that case it would be up to Greece to block iranian refugees, when large areas of their country become uninhabitable.

Its exactly for that reason why Greece dismissed nuclear power. Its not save to handle in an area prone to earthquakes and tsunamis.

P.s. i saw now on google maps that the power generators which power the cooling system are directly located at the shore and have zero tsunami protection...

Bushehr-nuclear-power-plant.jpeg

This is not a bad question to ask since UAE has already 4 units..iran has one for 15 years and building 2 more and Saudis plan for 6 or more..so the area will be full of nuclear reactors..

As for Iran..the answer is...we the public do not have that kind of information, how ever I can answer the question indirectly...Iran has an industrial scale nuclear program from mines to Enrichment for over 30 years..the extent of plants used to have such level is huge...many nuclear processing sites...and not a single significant accident..(significant accidents can not be hidden due to IAEA and US monitoring )..

So in the absence of information (absence does not mean it is not there)... I would say Iranians know the risks and they are competent enough to figure out plans...what concerns me are countries with no nuclear knowhow in the southern Persian Gulf operating these reactors..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom