What's new

Notify PAF Aircraft Crashes

Indeed a grat loss and a sad day, especially considering its the defense day! May Almighty showers His Blessings on departing soul and give enough courage to the family of deceased!
Please can anyone tell me is there going to be any airshow in Isb/Rwp area tomorrow? If yes where ? timing ? and how can we get in?

PAF has lost 8 F-16s over its operational cycle of 32 years. 4 accidents are confirmed and we dont have much info on the other 4 accidents(?). some sources claim these a/c were not accidents but were cannabalised by PAF for spares during the embargo/sanctions period.
kindly shed some light on this subject.
PAKISTAN AIRFORCE WRITE/OFFS
TOTAL = 8
CONFIRMED = 4 (3 ACCIDENTS AND 1 SHOT-DOWN BY OWN A/C)
UN-CONFIRMED OR NO INFO = 4
DOES ANYONE HAVE FURTHER INFO ON THESE 4 W/O’S

Found 8 F-16s, displaying 1-8 [Sorted by Date]
Date Status Local S/N FY/n AF/Unit Version Info Details
18 Dec 1986 [w/o] 85609 81-1504 38 TW
F-16B Block 15U Details

The aircraft took off from Sargodha AB and hit a wild boar causing the two pilots to eject.

02 May 1987 [w/o] 85720 81-0918 14 sqn
F-16A Block 15S Details

Shot down by Squadron Leader Amjad Javed and Flight Lieutenant Shahid Sikandar Khan ejected safely.

04 Sep 1989 [w/o] 84712 81-0910 38 TW
F-16A Block 15Q Details

If anyone has more info on this crash, please let us know.

16 Jun 1991 [w/o] 85723 81-0921 38 TW
F-16A Block 15T Details

On a night training mission with one other F-16. Returning to Kamra AB to land suffered an engine failure forcing Squadron Leader Syed Hassan Raza to eject.

28 Oct 1991 [w/o] 85725 81-0923 14 sqn
F-16A Block 15U Details

Crashed in Attock, Pakistan after it suffered an engine failure during a dogfight training mission with the pilot, Squadron Leader Nadeem Anjum, ejected safely.

10 Nov 1993 [w/o] 84607 81-0937 38 TW
F-16B Block 15N Details

If anyone has more info on this crash, please let us know.

17 Mar 1994 [w/o] 85721 81-0919 14 sqn
F-16A Block 15S Details

Crashed near Sargodha, Pakistan.

22 Oct 1994 [w/o] 82701 81-0899 11 sqn
F-16A Block 15E Details

Crashed near Sargodha, Pakistan

Hi

You have given details , I will give the numbers. Total 8 F-16 lost since induction.

1. F-16B---Wild Boar Hit , both pilots ejected
2. F-16 A---Crashed after hit by own missile.,pilot ejected
3. F-16A---Engine Flame out , pilot ejected
4. F-16A---Engine Flame out , pilot ejected
5. F-16A---Spatial Disoreintation, pilot embraced shahadat.
6. F-16A---G-Loc, pilot embraced shahadat.
7. F-16B---Bird Hit, pilots ejected
8. F-16A---Flame out , pilot ejected. It happened in 1994 , since then ,PAF did not have a major accident on F-16 (mashallah)

x_man - thx for establishing the fact that PAF has lost 8 a/c. do u have names of the unfortunate pilots

* First was Sqn Ldr Zafar from 9 sqn and crashed in sept,1989. During a night interception mission he got disorientated, went into a steep dive and never made any attempt to recover. Before impacting, he gave repeated calls about his disorientation.

* Second pilot to receive fatal injuries was Sqn Ldr Nasir in Apr, 1994 from CCS. While flying a dissimilar aircomabat mission, during merge he experienced G induces loss of conciousness ( G-Loc) and hit the ground .

These are the only two fatalities on F-16, rest everyone ejected safely.

x_man, good info. What is G-Lock by the way?

g-induced Loss Of Consciousness (abbreviated g-LOC) is a condition where a person loses consciousness because g-forces primarily acting along the length of the body move the blood away from the brain to the extent that consciousness is lost.

These conditions are linked to astronauts, pilots of fighter planes and pilots of aerobatic aircraft.

Incidents of acceleration-induced loss of consciousness have caused fatal accidents in aircraft capable of sustaining high-g for considerable periods such as the BAe Hawk, F-16 Falcon and F/A-18 Hornet.

g-LOC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* First was Sqn Ldr Zafar from 9 sqn and crashed in sept,1989. During a night interception mission he got disorientated, went into a steep dive and never made any attempt to recover. Before impacting, he gave repeated calls about his disorientation.

* Second pilot to receive fatal injuries was Sqn Ldr Nasir in Apr, 1994 from CCS. While flying a dissimilar aircomabat mission, during merge he experienced G induces loss of conciousness ( G-Loc) and hit the ground .

These are the only two fatalities on F-16, rest everyone ejected safely.

Retd Air cdre Shabir ( Angle ) he son Rashid died in a Mirage over the sea Night Flying same problem Disorientation he died, My memory might be hazy it was 1995 or 96 but I can find out by calling angle.

One of my older threads pasting .

LOC, pronounced 'Gee-Lock', is an abbreviated term meaning G-Induced Loss of Consciousness. Not many simulations have been able to model this phenomenon effectively. Most people refer to it as "blackout," including the simulation companies. Because of the incorrect use of terminology, many believe that when you pull high G's, the only symptom you get is the tunnel vision and eventual blackout / simulated loss of consciousness. There is nothing further from the truth.
What does a pilot have to worry about during a high G maneuver?

First off, there is the amount of concentration involved in preparation of and then the actual "grunting" done while in the maneuver. No game has been able to model this. As you sit in your comfy chair, you have none of these factors to deal with. Already you are at an advantage.
Second, there is shear physical pain involved in pulling high G’s. To me the pain during a high G maneuver is excruciating. Anyone that has ever experienced any type of pain knows that it is extremely difficult to think of anything else while in severe pain. Training can overcome some of this, but nowhere near all of it. Concentration is difficult to maintain while in pain. So again, as you sit in your comfy chair, sipping on a soda, you are at a serious advantage.
I have heard jokes from pilots about the new guys that come out of a training exercise with their necks twisted in pain. They tried to look around in a high G turn. Of course, there are ways to help overcome some of this, but the effort and gyrations you must go through makes it a difficult task. I also need to point out that there is a distinct difference between grey / blackout and G-LOC. The first time in F-86 I experienced a 5+ G pull out during the war I was lucky that day, I greyed felt like I was getting a headache and started to lose field of view (in that order) only a few seconds of pulling out at the bottom of a dive. This isn't G-LOC since I didn't actually go nighty-night but I lost control of the plane and went into a dive which actually helped save my *** that day.
To have a pilot state that they can "pull high G’s as long as they need to" is understating the importance of proper preparation and physical fitness. These comments completely discount and downplay the difficulty that fighter pilots must overcome every day. It just is not as easy as they were making it sound. If this were indeed the case, why would there be a need for G-suits or "speed jeans?" The other question is just exactly how long is "as long as I need to?" In a true life or death situation, the human body is capable of amazing feats, but rarely has anyone in a situation like this ever been hooked up to the proper equipment to get an accurate idea of just what really can be done.
Some may argue that it is a well-known fact that the Blue Angels do not wear G-suits. A short analysis will show that the Blue Angels pull sustained G’s in a controlled, gradual onset (gradual may be quick, or slow, but a build up, as opposed to a sudden jerk to 9 G's) environment. They also do not make many high G maneuvers without periods of rest. Ever wonder what Angels 5 and 6 are doing while 1, 2, 3, and 4 are showing off? Or vice versa? The shows are designed to allow the pilots to perform high G maneuvers without risk to the pilots or audience. Do not take this as an insult to the Blue Angels or their abilities. On the contrary, I regard them as some of the finest pilots in the world, even more so for their understanding and recognition of their own physical limitations. Their reasons for not wearing G-suits are based on precision control, not on physical reasons. They brace their arms on their legs to help maintain precise movements of the stick. The pumping up and down of the G-suit would cause their arm to move which in turn would cause movement in the stick. The Thunderbirds, on the other hand, do not have to worry about this since their sticks are on the side (F/A-18 vs. F-16).

Next, folks will quote the myth that the Russians do not wear G suits either. These guys are also known to drink hydraulic fluid when they are out of vodka. Does that mean it is right? But seriously, Russians DO have G-suits. Pretty darn good ones, too. While it is my understanding these are optional at the pilot’s discretion, most do wear them.

The G-LOC fatigue factor is such an important and integral part of combat flying that development of the Combined Advanced Technology Enhanced Design G-Ensemble (COMBAT EDGE) is in progress. While a normal G-suit provides passive protection to about 5.5+ G’s, anything beyond that requires active participation from the pilot. Even up to 5.5+ G's, pilots are using their "grunting," CTFB ("crap the football"), or L1/M1 (anti-G straining) maneuver. The COMBAT EDGE will enhance the pilot’s ability to tolerate sustained G's as well as assist in proper breathing rhythms for maximum tolerance.

There is also the "HOOK" maneuver that the Navy is researching. The word "HOOK" is used as a mnemonic aid to help the trainee accomplish the anti-G strain properly. Vocalizing "HOOK" causes voluntarily closing of the glottis (the vocal apparatus of the larynx, consisting of the true vocal cords and the opening between them), which is an important part of effective anti-G straining. U.S. Navy experience shows that this method is more effective than the "grunt" and L-1/M-1 techniques used before. If fighter pilots could already "pull high G’s as long as they need to," none of these improvements or this research would be necessary.
But on the serious side, pulling 9 G’s in a simulator with no need to control an aircraft or deal with combat issues is entirely different than pulling 9 G’s while trying to maintain control of an aircraft.
In addition, most modern centrifuge seating is adjustable. It has been proven in a centrifuge that an 80 degree recline can allow sustained G tolerance of up to 15 G’s. It would be a bit difficult to actually see out of an aircraft at this angle. The F-16's 30 degree recline or SU-25M's 35 degree recline is about as far as is practical at this point. These angles allow an increase in G tolerance of about 1 additional G.
I have never lost a dogfight to human or AI due to blackout limitations, but from my own mistakes. The fatigue factor comes in the more high G maneuvers you make in a row, the sooner G-LOC will set in. If you take a rest between maneuvers, body recovers its self .

Dear Sir Murad K

The night crash that you mentioned above was actually happened in early 2002 , pilot was Wg Cdr Mazhar Warsi ( 7 sqn Masroor , 85th GDP). While converting towards an F-16, his aircraft went into sea. Todate , the wreckage or his body have not been found. Cause of Accident : Spacial Disorientation.

We also lost a Mirage DP in 1996, weather was cloudy with lo level stratus ( typical masroor weather), just after takeoff, ATC received the call about disorientation from pilot and aircraft crashed after few minutes. Both pilots received fatal injuries. Front occupant was Flt Lt Haroon, rear accupant was Sqn Ldr Parvez if i remember correctly). Cause of accident : Spatial disorientation.

Air Cdr Shabbir Angle's son Flt Lt Rashid crashed during day during his chase mission. After take off his Mirage caught fire, despite confirmation of fire and repeated calls from his leader and ATC to eject, he continued to head for runway to land. On finals ( masroor runway 09), his aircraft went out of control, Rashid did not have time to eject and he recieved fatal injuries.

I was in RNDC when Angles Son Died sorry to here it again, well we should never forget our sons and heros who have died for our country.
They are the real heros.
Mod lets start a thread for these kids who died I will get there intial info like a bio data plus a photo from AHQ and some photos from there course mates. but on this thread only a few can write only for viewing.

MK

IAF crash report (little old but interesting)

acede1dbedb6e840fc28f505e83da3e6.jpg

PAF fighter jet crashes

ISLAMABAD: A Pakistan Air Force fighter jet crashed on Saturday near Samundri, Faisalabad, but no casualties were reported, a PAF statement said.

The Chinese-built F-7 came down during an operational training mission, the statement said, adding that the pilot of the aircraft ejected safely. nni

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Glad the pilot is safe. :)

Back
Top Bottom