What's new

Northern Cyprus: The new destination for Turks fleeing Turkey

I find it disturbing that there are fanatics like Crimsonfury, no pragmatism what so ever.

Even if the reunification is bound to fail it's wrong to wish the worst for your own brothers in TRNC. I believe it is filth like Crimsonfury and his ilk that the woman is writing about.

Even if our Pakistani brothers or anyone else came to visit Turkey and they didn't see any mistreatment, it doesn't mean it's not there. There are many wife killings in Turkey, unfortunately we have problems that overshadow such things. And since RTE controls the media, the focus on these important everyday life are reduced to nothing.

You can tell a countries development from the type news that make headlines. compare Denmark, Norway with Turkey. There are some similarities, but the debate in the political climate is missing.

imo.

I find it disturbing that there are fanatics like Crimsonfury, no pragmatism what so ever.

Even if the reunification is bound to fail it's wrong to wish the worst for your own brothers in TRNC. I believe it is filth like Crimsonfury and his ilk that the woman is writing about.

Even if our Pakistani brothers or anyone else came to visit Turkey and they didn't see any mistreatment, it doesn't mean it's not there. There are many wife killings in Turkey, unfortunately we have problems that overshadow such things. And since RTE controls the media, the focus on these important everyday life are reduced to nothing.

You can tell a countries development from the type news that make headlines. compare Denmark, Norway with Turkey. There are some similarities, but the debate in the political climate is missing.

imo.
You and that woman can rot in hell. Worry not when the going gets tough all enemies both external and internal will be purged

You and that woman can rot in hell. Worry not when the going gets tough all enemies both external and internal will be purged

You are dense, seriously. Your reaction is very stereotypical.

If you refuse to see how many women are beaten, raped or even killed in the country than I dont know what else to say. Just imagine your sister being beaten by her husband or worse.

You are dense, seriously. Your reaction is very stereotypical.

If you refuse to see how many women are beaten, raped or even killed in the country than I dont know what else to say. Just imagine your sister being beaten by her husband or worse.
Lmao you think I'm defending violence against women? Not at all. I just have a fight to pick with retards that are willing to throw away national interests in the name of "brotherhood" (hence the whole argument about Cyprus). Otherwise ofcourse I don't condone violence against women (unless they scratch my car, they do that and I'll scratch their faces off). Fair enough ?

Yeah and when the Greeks massacre them it's the "beasts of Istanbul" that along with all those rude and barbaric people from the mainland that ride in to save them. Next time, and with that spineless Akinci it's almost a guarantee, the Greeks mount a massacre we should let them do it completely before we kick their sorry Enosis infected asses again. Arpalari fazla gelmeye basladi bu donme itlerin. Kaltak kari, sevmiyorsa siktirsin gitsin ama kolay degil tabi parayi Istanbul da kazaniyorken. Kaltak

The greeks can't mount a massacre on them, even if they wanted to(i am a greek), the forces they have on the island as a guarantor power are much smaller than the turkish occupying forces. And greeks propose to completely remove both greek and turkish military forces and the UN(that exists for decades already acting as a buffer zone) militarily and the EU politically(since it is already a member state of the EU) can guarantee their protection.
On top of that, it is much easier for Turkey to send forces there if you take a look at a map, since the turkish mainland and thus their land, naval and air bases, are much closer to Cyprus, than the greek mainland is, there is a bigger security problem for Greece if Turkey doesn't implement this proposal, than for Turkey.

I love Northern Cyprus. but, lets be brutally honest here, Turkiye is much better place to live.
Great place for holidays though.

What I understand about Turkish Cyprus....they want reunification but they don't want Turkey to retire all his troop of Cyprus.
They prefers to be Cypriot but don't trust the Greek Cypriot 100%.

What I understand about Turkish Cyprus....they want reunification but they don't want Turkey to retire all his troop of Cyprus.
They prefers to be Cypriot but don't trust the Greek Cypriot 100%.

Which is a shame for both sides. Cypriots should show the world that Muslims and Christians, Greeks and Turks can coexist.

I never knew women's safety was an issue in Turkey.

Having visited and stayed in the country for over 2 weeks in 5 different cities, I never once came across any negative news against women.

In fact, people were very polite and courteous towards women wherever I saw.

And no they weren't just shopkeepers but general people walking around.

These types of social issues are most common in conservative central Anatolia, which is where i am from. The Western/Coastal regions rarely have these types of social problems. I experienced Western Turkey last summer and its so much then anything you experience in Central Anatolia. I'm actually planning to buy a house in Western Turkey at one point in my life because of this(Maybe even N.Cyprus as the article suggests :) )

These types of social issues are most common in conservative central Anatolia, which is where i am from. The Western/Coastal regions rarely have these types of social problems. I experienced Western Turkey last summer and its so much then anything you experience in Central Anatolia. I'm actually planning to buy a house in Western Turkey at one point in my life because of this(Maybe even N.Cyprus as the article suggests :) )

Wouldn't you need to get a N.Cypriot citizenship ?

The political climate atm and in the future is shaky and if you buy a house or apartment you risk that investment unless you have a TRNC citizenship. This doesn't mean the problem will disappear though, just lessen.

The greeks can't mount a massacre on them, even if they wanted to(i am a greek), the forces they have on the island as a guarantor power are much smaller than the turkish occupying forces. And greeks propose to completely remove both greek and turkish military forces and the UN(that exists for decades already acting as a buffer zone) militarily and the EU politically(since it is already a member state of the EU) can guarantee their protection.
On top of that, it is much easier for Turkey to send forces there if you take a look at a map, since the turkish mainland and thus their land, naval and air bases, are much closer to Cyprus, than the greek mainland is, there is a bigger security problem for Greece if Turkey doesn't implement this proposal, than for Turkey.

Naah i was just joking around. Northern Cyprus, despite being a wonderfull place to live no doubt cannot beat the Anavatan :)

Sub Categories: » HOMEPAGE / OPINION/ BARÇIN YİNANÇ

Thursday,February 16 2017, Your time is 3:02:44 PM

412.jpg

BARÇIN YİNANÇ

barcin.yinanc@hurriyet.com.tr

Northern Cyprus: The new destination for Turks fleeing Turkey

Send to friend »
Turks call northern Cyprus baby land, a term deriving from motherland. Whenever there is some progress in peace talks among the divided communities of the island, some in Turkey start talking about the threat of losing the “babyland.” “We should not lose at the table what we gained by our blood,” they would say. Giving compromises in peace talks would be considered politically controversial and sensitive, resulting in consequences at the ballot box on the mainland.

So you would think those living in Turkey would be knowledgeable about northern Cyprus. On the contrary: I was very surprised to hear that many in Turkey did not know where Cyprus was located and were ignorant of facts such as the language that is being spoken and which currency is used in the northern part. That was the sad truth which surfaced from a survey conducted by the north’s Tourism Ministry.

But some mainland Turks know Cyprus so well that they are now even migrating to the northern part. There is a serious rise in the number of Turks who are settling or buying property, according to Turkish Cypriot officials. This is not surprising in view of the fact that a serious number of people who feel their lifestyle is threatened by the current administration have been looking for ways to emigrate.

While they would not say it on the record, Turkish Cypriots do admit that Turks come to northern Cyprus to flee the oppressive atmosphere of Turkey.

It is not just about the political environment which, in contrast to Turkey, is devoid of tension. I think Turks are also attracted by the many attributes of “civilized” life in the northern part.

I realized that while in traffic in northern Cyprus. I took part in a visit organized by daily Hürriyet to promote tourism on the island. Due to some separate interviews I conducted on the island, I had to catch up with a crowded group of journalist and travel agents which were travelling by bus. Each time I got in the car in a hurry, the drivers always did their best to get me the fastest to where I wanted to go – albeit always without violating traffic rules. But not only that: They would also give way to pedestrians. And unbelievable as it may seem to mainland Turks, they would also give way to cars at intersections.

Running late, I was getting a bit anxious. How was I going to catch the group if we were going to continue like that?

But after a while, I realized that I was acting like the “beast I was in Istanbul’s jungle.” Their attitude was the normal one; mine was wrong.

That’s when I realized better why some Turks chose to come settle there. The civilized concepts like “tolerance, courtesy, respect for others,” which had long been a source of nostalgia for us were part of daily life on the island. People had smiling faces, and they were nice and polite to each other.

That again made me realize something else. Our prejudice that “Turkish Cypriots live a comfortable, nice and easy life thanks to money coming from the mainland,” had led to confusion in our minds about the characteristics of the Turkish Cypriots. We confused slow work and joie de vivre with laziness.

Indeed, Turkish Cypriots do have the same attributes as Mediterranean people. Their work pace is slow, they are fond of good food, drink and music. But in addition to these, there is also respect for differences. There are many divisions in political life, but it is devoid of tension and conflict. Violence, from domestic violence to the terror attacks that have become part of our lives in Turkey, is non-existent in northern Cyprus. Women can walk alone at any time of the day and night without fearing for their lives. There is gender equality.

I expect many more from Turkey will continue to go to northern Cyprus to breathe in not just the fresh air but also the fundamental freedoms and attributes of a normal civilized life that we have been longing for.
February/16/2017
The article is correct to some extent,but I believe it exaggerates about about Turkey.
Having been to Turkey(granted it was about 6 years ago or so) I can say that it's a very open, liberal and welcoming country, especially for a Muslim country with a Muslim population of upto 98% yet the country is democratic, secular, unitary, and a constitutional republic. I saw that people are very modern and allowed to live in whatever way they want to. The people even have the right to mass protests(which is usually done peacefully ) against the government which is unlike in many Muslim dominated countries,I even witnessed one thing my time there.
Women are allowed to participate in any sport with no dress/uniform boundation unlike many Muslim dominated countries in the region and I never really witnessed people being disrespectful towards women there. Women there seem far more free to dress as they wish, watch football match with their male counterparts side by side and do whatever they desire without much issues, same can't be said of many majority Muslim countries .etc etc.
So I will say Turkey is quite Open and liberal compared to many countries in the region. However, Cyprus being a European non Muslim country, you will expect them to be more liberal than Turkey which I believe it's the case(even though I have never been to Turkey Cyprus, jut the Greek side, but I believe the Turkish side of Cyprus will be as open and liberal as the Greek side). So it's not like Turkey is oppressive or conservative per second, just that Cyprus is more liberal. :)

The article is correct to some extent,but I believe it exaggerates about about Turkey.
Having been to Turkey(granted it was about 6 years ago or so) I can say that it's a very open, liberal and welcoming country, especially for a Muslim country with a Muslim population of upto 98% yet the country is democratic, secular, unitary, and a constitutional republic. I saw that people are very modern and allowed to live in whatever way they want to. The people even have the right to mass protests(which is usually done peacefully ) against the government which is unlike in many Muslim dominated countries,I even witnessed one thing my time there.
Women are allowed to participate in any sport with no dress/uniform boundation unlike many Muslim dominated countries in the region and I never really witnessed people being disrespectful towards women there.
Women there seem far more free to dress as they wish, watch football match with their male counterparts side by side and do whatever they desire without much issues, same can't be said of many majority Muslim countries .etc etc.
So I will say Turkey is quite Open and liberal compared to many countries in the region. However, Cyprus being a European non Muslim country, you will expect them to be more liberal than Turkey which I believe it's the case(even though I have never been to Turkey Cyprus, jut the Greek side, but I believe the Turkish side of Cyprus will be as open and liberal as the Greek side). So it's not like Turkey is oppressive or conservative per second, just that Cyprus is more liberal. :)
Normally,i would see the underlined part as an insult because that is the way my country was for the last 90+ years,we dont know it any different from what you described it to be,but i know what you meant.

One word to both Turkiye and Turkish Cyprus,

Was

The liberalism of Turkish Cyprus is as history as it is in Turkiye.
Many things have happened in KKTC(Turkish Cyprus) and not in a good way,for instance,they have built many many new mosques,Erdogan is turning the liberalism into Islamism.
Off course some fanboys will deny this but we know better.

Back
Top Bottom