What's new

North Korea Attacks South Korea - Latest Update

What is shameful here is the obvious willingness of a person to submit to his government's opinions. And people call Americans 'brainwashed'.

Which opinion of my government have I submitted to?

Bearing in mind I completely disagree with many Government decisions?

Hopefully gambit you are not just stereotyping again with the typical "Chinese are brainwashed" comment. Can you tell me which government opinion I have submitted to and which ones I have not?

You are assuming that both will lose. A war incurs losses to all sides. But to lose that war is to say that one side incurred a loss so great that it could no longer field any resistance. Do YOU have any credible analysis to say that South Korea, let alone Japan included, will lose such a war?

As a nuclear Vs conventional scenario it can never be a win win game for anyone.What i'm saying is that Japan won't like to indulge physically till provoked and S.Korea isn't in a position yet to balance conventional versus Nuclear equation.

You are assuming that both will lose. A war incurs losses to all sides. But to lose that war is to say that one side incurred a loss so great that it could no longer field any resistance. Do YOU have any credible analysis to say that South Korea, let alone Japan included, will lose such a war?

that's a difference between
1/ they will loose the war
2/ they have much to loose in a war, which means that a war is as you say damaging a country/economy...

There is a politician here (Attali) who said "the country which doesn't have the conflict on his land will have much to win".

Whoever claimed that North Korea would "win" any war?
Good...Then you admit that North Korea has very good odds of losing? I have no problems asserting that South Korea will, not merely can, but WILL win a fight.

The bottom line is the Seoul is too close to the North Korean border. Any causalities resulting from conventional or nuclear attacks on Seoul, would be unacceptable to South Korea.

Remember that the Seoul capital area contains HALF of the South Korean population (around 25 million). North Korea, if losing the war, would not hesitate to use their nuclear weapons. If Kim Jong-Il knows that he will soon lose the war (and face execution), then what will stop him from using nuclear/conventional weapons on Seoul?
A nuclear conflict in Far East Asia will have adverse consequences throughout Asia, from economic to military to environmental. All the more reasons that China should support a military strike to preemptively take out North Korea's nuclear sites, no? After all, you admitted that there are no longer any worthwhile ties between China and North Korea.

A nuclear conflict in Far East Asia will have adverse consequences throughout Asia, from economic to military to environmental. All the more reasons that China should support a military strike to preemptively take out North Korea's nuclear sites, no? After all, you admitted that there are no longer any worthwhile ties between China and North Korea.

Whether North or South Korea "wins" is not important to me. What matters to me is the negative outcomes of such a war.

Just tell me, if Kim Jong-Il is losing the war (and facing the prospect of execution), what will stop him using nuclear/conventional weapons on Seoul? And causing unacceptable civilian casualties?

I've made my position clear, I don't want there to be a war, I don't want there to be an economic collapse. China has enough to worry about, without some insane guy launching nukes at one of the most populated cities on Earth (Seoul).

Everything China has done so far has been in an attempt to "calm down" the situation and to prevent such a horrific scenario from taking place. "Don't poke a mad dog with a stick", as I believe the saying goes.

What makes North Korea think to make this kind of move in the first place.What they will achieve by doing this.If South Korea does not retaliate strongly this time than in the coming days it will have a really hard time.

US can do something. It's not in the interests of the US to do so. The costs are incredible up to and including the nuclear end of the world and the benefit is almost zero. Unlike most people I realize that countries make decisions in a cold, rational way, and do not run by emotion. Even if the country is made up of people with emotions, the entity as a whole does not have them.

What can the US get out of invading north korea? There are no natural resources, the strategic value of the location has gone down, it may strengthen south korea enough to force US occupation to leave and for US to give up control of south korean military, and worst of all, north korea can hit back, unlike Iraq which was the opposite: alot of oil, high strategic value between Iran and Israel at the mouth of the Gulf, attacking it would further increase dependence of middle eastern states on US, and it can't hit back.
What can China get out of keeping North Korea? The Korean people is the one with the most to gain. Given how much the Chinese boys here have claimed that China is no longer 'communist'...:rolleyes:...May be China should do the right thing and let North Korea go. After all, a prosperous Korea would economically benefit China and the rest of Asia, no?

Whether North or South Korea "wins" is not important to me.
Now that is a laugh...:lol:

What matters to me is the negative outcomes of such a war.
Without China's military support North Korea will lose and China will lose international prestige. Unless China is willing to publicly abandon North Korea.

Just tell me, if Kim Jong-Il is losing the war (and facing the prospect of execution), what will stop him using nuclear/conventional weapons on Seoul? And causing unacceptable civilian casualties?
Who knows? But all the more reason that China should support a preemptive strike against North Korea's nuclear sites.

What can the US get out of invading north korea? There are no natural resources, the strategic value of the location has gone down, it may strengthen south korea enough to force US occupation to leave and for US to give up control of south korean military, and worst of all, north korea can hit back, unlike Iraq which was the opposite: alot of oil, high strategic value between Iran and Israel at the mouth of the Gulf, attacking it would further increase dependence of middle eastern states on US, and it can't hit back.

from a purely US standpoint, it would be in their interests for the reunification of north and south

however on the ground, there is much hatred and animosity; though at the same time people have family members and friends on both sides of the border

Without China's military support North Korea will lose and China will lose international prestige. Unless China is willing to publicly abandon North Korea.

China is in difficult place....they remember vividly what happened during Korean war when millions of N Korean refugees came in, en masse.

That is one reason why it would be in China's interests to have an economically or even militarily strong NK. China is just looking after her own interests, as all countries try to do.

Who knows? But all the more reason that China should support a preemptive strike against North Korea's nuclear sites.

All the more reason not to "poke the mad dog" in the first place.

The lives at stake here are South Korean. Ask them if they are willing to risk a nuclear attack on Seoul, and millions of dead brothers and sisters.

In my perspective, I would prefer to keep everything calm, at least until Kim Jong-Il passes away.

All the more reason not to "poke the mad dog" in the first place.

The lives at stake here are South Korean. Ask them if they are willing to risk a nuclear attack on Seoul, and millions of dead brothers and sisters.

In my perspective, I would prefer to keep everything calm, at least until Kim Jong-Il passes away.
More rhetorics to cover up what you really want -- South Korea remain passive so the mad dog North Korea can poke away all they want.

Good...Then you admit that North Korea has very good odds of losing? I have no problems asserting that South Korea will, not merely can, but WILL win a fight.

Undoubtedly South Korea (with a bit of US help) can win the war, but you probably know as well the stickler here is cost. We don't live in the 1940's anymore (thank god), and no one involved here is going to go for total war lightly.

More rhetorics to cover up what you really want -- South Korea remain passive so the mad dog North Korea can poke away all they want.

well by the same token, why arm and do 'posturing' in SK?

there is no doubt that China & US role would be crucial in damping the conflict --though it boils down to those 2 neighbours and what actions are taken next

North Korea seems to be employing a dangerous and very irrational policy

Back
Top Bottom