What's new

Nobel laureate's wife detained

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Nobel laureate's wife detained - Asia-Pacific - Al Jazeera English

Liu Xia pleads for help via Twitter as Chinese authorities place her under house arrest after husband's peace prize win.

The wife of Liu Xiaobo, the Chinese dissident who won the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize, has said she is being held under house arrest at her home in Beijing.

"Brothers, I have returned home. On the eighth [October] they placed me under house arrest. I don't know when I will be able to see anyone," a message posted on Liu Xia's Twitter account on Sunday said.

She said she was placed under house arrest when she returned from visiting her husband in a prison in northeastern China, where she told him he had won the prestigious award.

"My mobile phone is broken and I cannot call or receive calls. I saw Xiaobo and told him on the ninth at the prison that he won the prize. I will let you know more later. Everyone, please help me tweet. Thanks," she said in her message.

Liu Xia's treatment since her husband won the prize has drawn the ire of international human rights organisations.

'International focus'

Catherine Baber, the deputy director of Amnesty International Asia Pacific, said on Saturday that the Chinese authorities must immediately disclose the whereabouts of Liu Xia, amid reports she had been detained by police.

"The Chinese authorities may want to play down the international focus Liu Xiaobo’s Nobel Peace Prize has placed on the thousands of prisoners of conscience held in China, but the harassment of Liu Xia is certainly not the way to achieve this," she said.

"It is outrageous that Liu Xia be harassed just because her husband has received international recognition for his work for human rights. Her whereabouts must be disclosed immediately with confirmation that she remains a free citizen," she said.

"The Chinese authorities would have far greater impact if they used this as an opportunity to release all those currently held in China for peacefully expressing their views and stopped harassing innocent citizens."

Larry Siems, of the PEN American Centre, a literary and human rights group, told Al Jazeera that the house arrest was typical of treatment meted out by Chinese authorities to political dissidents.

"These are conditions that they have been living under for two decades. They have often been under house arrest," he said.

Since Liu Xiabo won the prize, authorities in Beijing have been desperately trying to suppress coverage, implementing a media blackout and blocking websites.

On Saturday, Chinese security personnel blocked roads around the prison in the city of Jin Zhou where Liu is being held.

In Beijing, his lawyer, Shang Baojun, said he believed very few people in China were aware that Liu had been awarded the peace prize because all websites and media in China were censoring the news.

Shang added: "Of course I wish that winning this prize would help him obtain an earlier release from prison. However, I don't have high hopes of this happening because the government is not giving signs of this happening."

Liu was awarded the prize after spending years advocating peaceful, gradual political change rather than confrontation with the government, unlike others in China's highly fractured and persecuted dissident community.

The Nobel committee cited Liu's participation in the Tiananmen Square protests in Beijing in 1989 and the Charter 08 document he recently co-authored, which called for greater freedom in China and an end to the Communist Party's political dominance. After the document was published, Liu was given an 11 year prison sentence for subversion.

<ノーベル平和賞>劉暁波氏が妻と面会 場所などは不明
毎日新聞 10月10日(日)16時54分配信

【錦州(中国遼寧省)鈴木玲子】ノーベル平和賞受賞が決まった中国の民主活動家、劉暁波氏(54)が10日午前、妻の劉霞さん(49)と面会した。香港の人権団体「中国人権民主化運動情報センター」が明らかにした。面会場所が劉氏が服役する中国遼寧省錦州市の刑務所内だったのかを含め面会の詳細は不明。

劉氏は、国家政権転覆扇動罪で服役中。同センターによると、霞さんに同行している霞さんの弟が同日午後、面会について電話で家族に伝えた。霞さんは定期的に劉氏と面会してきたが、8日の受賞決定後は初めて。

霞さんは公安当局の監視下にあり、受賞について報告できたかどうかは不明。霞さんの携帯電話はつながらず、外部と連絡が取れない状態が続いている。霞さんは受賞決定後の8日夜、公安当局者に連れられ、9日に錦州に到着していた。

◇外国人記者を警官取り囲む

一方、刑務所周辺は10日早朝から厳重な警戒態勢が敷かれ、びっしりと警官が張り付いた。一部で車両の通行も規制された。刑務所手前約1キロ付近で十数人の警官が車両を止め、トランクを開けて荷物を調べる徹底ぶり。また、刑務所正門への道は手前で封鎖され、もう一カ所の面会者用の門付近には数十人の私服、制服警官が張り込んでいた。

記者が車でその前を通ると、警官が行く手を遮った。外国人記者だと分かると、「カメラを出せ。動くな」と命じ、十数人の警官らが取り囲むなど、海外メディアの取材に神経をとがらせていることがうかがえた。

Not a good thing too excited, Indians, you should worry about your those farce.

How much trouble can she be in when I just saw her in an interview with BBC worldnews.

What a shame. Apparently they even summoned the Norwegian Ambassador and gave him a dressing down.

It really looks like you are willing to shallow s*** in any form as long as it is bottled and labelled as human rights.
So, what do you suggest should be done ? Bear-hug any Commie who walks down the street and sing Hallelujah. Now, try to put yourself in a dissident's shoes and go on a Flag-burning protest in Canada and in China(try burning the respective flags of the country, of-course) and see where you are given freedom and where are you caned and put behind bars. Then you might understand what rights should be corked, bottled and labelled as human rights whether it be China or Canada.

So, what do you suggest should be done ? Bear-hug any Commie who walks down the street and sing Hallelujah. Now, try to put yourself in a dissident's shoes and go on a Flag-burning protest in Canada and in China(try burning the respective flags of the country, of-course) and see where you are given freedom and where are you caned and put behind bars. Then you might understand what rights should be corked, bottled and labelled as human rights whether it be China or Canada.

You think we like India, lack of law? You still have to worry about the Maoists, we will see what action you have to the "dissidents".

You'll last in this forum.

Seems a bit odd. His wife was still allowed to visit him in prison and tell him that he had won the Nobel Peace Prize, and even though she's under house arrest she can still tweet.

Does Liu Xiaobo enjoy any support within Mainland China, even secretly? Come to think of it- if an Indian won the Nobel Peace Prize, I would be proud even if I didn't agree with his views.

Seems a bit odd. His wife was still allowed to visit him in prison and tell him that he had won the Nobel Peace Prize, and even though she's under house arrest she can still tweet.

Does Liu Xiaobo enjoy any support within Mainland China, even secretly? Come to think of it- if an Indian won the Nobel Peace Prize, I would be proud even if I didn't agree with his views.

I bet you'll feel a bit different if he won a Nobel for saying the British should come back and recolonizing India for 300 years.

Do you think we do not know the idea of the West? CCP should have been very skilled and know how to respond to provocation? At the same time, it also means a more open China. The law is the law, but some humanitarian action can be allowed.

Someone else has asked this and the answer is no.

(this is where the question was posed by jayron)
http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...ot-award-peace-prize-chinese-dissident-9.html

He is not a popular figure in China. His claim to fame is his belief that Chinese culture and beliefs are backwards and need to be totally abolished through "300 years of western colonialism". What he basically represent is a total rejection of the Chinese identity and the western endorsement doesn't represent an olive branch, it represents their desire to see China adapt western values over its own. Colonialism 2.0

To tell you the truth I am kind of glad to see the Nobel prize go to him, because many people in China who haven't been to the west still believed that they have China's best interest in mind, by encouraging and celebrating someone who can really be accurately described as an appalling anti-Chinese racist of the red guard generation, more people will realize how the west really see the Chinese people.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom