What's new

No need for 126 Rafales: Parrikar

wolfschanzze

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
NEW DELHI: Terming the UPA's proposed deal for 126 Rafale fighter jets as "economically unviable" and not required, Defence minister Manohar Parrikar has said the NDA government will buy only 36 of the French aircraft, to be used for strategic purposes, and no more.

Parrikar also raised questions on the tendering process initiated by former Defence minister AK Antony and said his predecessor had "hammered" the tender in such a way that the Rafale deal would have never seen the light of the day.

Rejecting criticism from the Congress that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had bypassed the Finance Ministry and the Defence Acquisition Council, the apex body of the Defence Ministry that takes the call on military projects, Parrikar said "the deal is yet to be inked" and they should hold their horses till the process was complete.

He expressed confidence that the Committee, that has been set up to work out the contract, would complete the task in the next 2-3 months.

The Modi government has scrapped the over USD 20 billion deal for 126 Rafales more than three years after Dassault was declared the lowest bidder under UPA's tenure.

READ ALSO: Congress assails Modi govt over Rafale deal, downsizing of attack corps along China border

During his visit to France last month, the Prime Minister announced the decision to buy 36 of these jets in a fly-away condition under a government-to-government (G2G) contract. Parrikar underlined that the decision to acquire 36 Rafales came in view of the "urgent requirement" of Indian Air Force.

"We are not buying the rest. We are only buying the direct 36," Parrikar told PTI when asked what will happen to rest of the requirement.

He said that the UPA deal for 126 Rafales was way too expensive and it would have hampered other modernisation plans of the Indian military.

The deal would have required around Rs 1.3 lakh crore over a period of 10-11 years, he added.

"Would there be any money for any other work?" he asked. "I also feel like having a BMW and Mercedes. But I don't because I can't afford it. First I can't afford it and second I don't need it. So, 126 Rafales was economically unviable. It was not required," Parrikar said.
No need for 126 Rafales: Parrikar - The Times of India

First "Top Officials of IAF" told NDTV this: Another 5 Years wait for Indigenously-Built Tejas

And within twenty four Hours Mr.Parikkar refuses further purchase then said numbers of 36 of Rafales.

Its seams IAF wanted to put pressure on DM and MOD and here DM has made clear WHO IS THE BOSS.

Now it is upto IAF better live with 36 Rafales and rest numbers either Tejas or SU-MKI.

No choice provided by DM and GOI.

NEW DELHI: Terming the UPA's proposed deal for 126 Rafale fighter jets as "economically unviable" and not required, Defence minister Manohar Parrikar has said the NDA government will buy only 36 of the French aircraft, to be used for strategic purposes, and no more.

Parrikar also raised questions on the tendering process initiated by former Defence minister AK Antony and said his predecessor had "hammered" the tender in such a way that the Rafale deal would have never seen the light of the day.

Rejecting criticism from the Congress that Prime Minister Narendra Modi had bypassed the Finance Ministry and the Defence Acquisition Council, the apex body of the Defence Ministry that takes the call on military projects, Parrikar said "the deal is yet to be inked" and they should hold their horses till the process was complete.

He expressed confidence that the Committee, that has been set up to work out the contract, would complete the task in the next 2-3 months.

The Modi government has scrapped the over USD 20 billion deal for 126 Rafales more than three years after Dassault was declared the lowest bidder under UPA's tenure.

READ ALSO: Congress assails Modi govt over Rafale deal, downsizing of attack corps along China border

During his visit to France last month, the Prime Minister announced the decision to buy 36 of these jets in a fly-away condition under a government-to-government (G2G) contract. Parrikar underlined that the decision to acquire 36 Rafales came in view of the "urgent requirement" of Indian Air Force.

"We are not buying the rest. We are only buying the direct 36," Parrikar told PTI when asked what will happen to rest of the requirement.

He said that the UPA deal for 126 Rafales was way too expensive and it would have hampered other modernisation plans of the Indian military.

The deal would have required around Rs 1.3 lakh crore over a period of 10-11 years, he added.

"Would there be any money for any other work?" he asked. "I also feel like having a BMW and Mercedes. But I don't because I can't afford it. First I can't afford it and second I don't need it. So, 126 Rafales was economically unviable. It was not required," Parrikar said.

Well it's not as if India is facing imminent war.

well you may hate this guy, but in my opinion he made a sensible decision.

Buy 2019 india will get all 272 Mki with 2 squadrons rafale and 1 full operational Squadron of LCA mk1

Told you so, there is no money, ennun kainday nain bund'ch goon na kawan no saintan
what does the troll gang has to say now?

Told you so, there is no money, ennun kainday nain bund'ch goon na kawan no saintan
what does the troll gang has to say now?
If there is no money why they are buying 36 rafale which will still cost around 6 billion $ including 50% offset investment

what going o some of your renowned journalist are telling after getting 36 another 100+ will be produced in india ???????????????????????????/

The tendering process was wrong, no question about that. But India needs more capable birds in numbers.

The tendering process was wrong, no question about that. But India needs more capable birds in numbers.
I think 36 Rafale +49 m2k = 85 are good number to full fill needs of Iaf another 8-10 years Multirole requirements

Buy the time we get options available in LCA mk2 and FGFA
2024-25 time frame

Stop counting your chickens before they hatch, please. Indian defense establishment has been counting the addition of LCA Tejas since 1990s. And how does that played out?

Stop counting your chickens before they hatch, please. Indian defense establishment has been counting the addition of LCA Tejas since 1990s. And how does that played out?
There are various reasons for which it delayed mostly due to sanctions after 1998 tests after that UPA negligence in statergic matters . hopefully new MOD cleared bottlenecks in rafale deal now we can see rafale in IAF service within 2-3 years which was looking impossible uptill now due to poorly drafting done in Mmrca contract . Hopefully now we are on right track by saving almost 15 billion in this needless deal we can pour it increase our indigenous capabilities. There many other options available in the market in form of EF and SAAB

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom