What's new

Next-Gen S-500 to Defend Russia Against Hypersonic Weapons and ICBMs

WarFariX

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The next-generation S-500 Prometey surface-to-air missile system, also known as the 55R6M Triumfator-M, will allow Russia to protect large areas from the most lethal offensive weapons, including hypersonic weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles, defense analyst Victor Murakhovsky told Radio Sputnik.

Murakhovsky described the S-500 as an advanced, unified, multi-purpose, integrated anti-aircraft and anti-ballistic missile defense system, which is meant to replace the S-300 and complement the S-400 complex. "This is the next step. These are air defense capabilities on operational and strategic levels," he said. The S-500 "allows us to protect entire regions from intercontinental ballistic missiles and other advanced weapons, including hypersonic glide vehicles currently under development in the United States."

The analyst added that the S-500 will also be capable of hitting targets in near space, including satellites outfitted with electro-optical surveillance systems.

Murakhovsky further said that the S-500 has canceled out multi-billion dollar advanced weapons programs which the United States has pursued. The S-500 has "displeased" the Pentagon since the US Department of Defense "has spent so much on creating the so-called Prompt Global Strike (PGS) initiative, as well as hypersonic glide vehicles and cruise missiles," the analyst said. "All of this has gone down the drain. We are talking about hundreds of billions of dollars!" In addition, Russia's newest air defense system "has made Americans nervous taking into account that the S-500 is a purely defensive system and the fact that the United States unilaterally withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty," he observed.

Washington decided to withdraw from the ABM treaty in 2001, rendering one of the key international arms agreements void.

The S-500, designed by Almaz Antey, is said to have a range of 600 kilometers (more than 370 miles). The system can simultaneously intercept up to ten ballistic and hypersonic missiles traveling at a speed of 7 kilometers per second. The Prometey is capable of engaging targets at an altitude of up to 200 kilometers (more than 120 miles). The system is capable of intercepting aircraft and UAVs, as well as destroying low-earth-orbit satellites, space destruction devices and orbital weaponry.

The S-500 will be a major upgrade to the state-of-the-art S-400 complex that is already in service.

"It is clear the S-500 is intended to serve as a high-altitude antiballistic missile system for home defense, and that its very long range could make it useful for anti-access/area denial and antisatellite tasks. It is also evident that it is designed to be mobile and hard to detect or hack into, so as to resist air-defense suppression strikes," Sébastien Roblin wrote for the National Interest. The analyst added that it remained unclear when the S-500 will become fully operational and whether it would "live up" to its stated capabilities.

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/military/201611121047367251-s500-ballistic-missile-defense/
reported by sputnik
c33292196d8f08ed5b8cb5792bb16c9c.jpg

WHAT AN ACHIEVEMENT MADE. WISH IF HAD SUCH SYSTEMS, WELL DREAMING NOW, WILL INSHALLAH COME TRUE. SOONER OR LATER..

The next-generation S-500 Prometey surface-to-air missile system, also known as the 55R6M Triumfator-M, will allow Russia to protect large areas from the most lethal offensive weapons, including hypersonic weapons and intercontinental ballistic missiles, defense analyst Victor Murakhovsky told Radio Sputnik.

Murakhovsky described the S-500 as an advanced, unified, multi-purpose, integrated anti-aircraft and anti-ballistic missile defense system, which is meant to replace the S-300 and complement the S-400 complex. "This is the next step. These are air defense capabilities on operational and strategic levels," he said. The S-500 "allows us to protect entire regions from intercontinental ballistic missiles and other advanced weapons, including hypersonic glide vehicles currently under development in the United States."

The analyst added that the S-500 will also be capable of hitting targets in near space, including satellites outfitted with electro-optical surveillance systems.

Murakhovsky further said that the S-500 has canceled out multi-billion dollar advanced weapons programs which the United States has pursued. The S-500 has "displeased" the Pentagon since the US Department of Defense "has spent so much on creating the so-called Prompt Global Strike (PGS) initiative, as well as hypersonic glide vehicles and cruise missiles," the analyst said. "All of this has gone down the drain. We are talking about hundreds of billions of dollars!" In addition, Russia's newest air defense system "has made Americans nervous taking into account that the S-500 is a purely defensive system and the fact that the United States unilaterally withdrew from the Anti-Ballistic Missile (ABM) Treaty," he observed.

Washington decided to withdraw from the ABM treaty in 2001, rendering one of the key international arms agreements void.

The S-500, designed by Almaz Antey, is said to have a range of 600 kilometers (more than 370 miles). The system can simultaneously intercept up to ten ballistic and hypersonic missiles traveling at a speed of 7 kilometers per second. The Prometey is capable of engaging targets at an altitude of up to 200 kilometers (more than 120 miles). The system is capable of intercepting aircraft and UAVs, as well as destroying low-earth-orbit satellites, space destruction devices and orbital weaponry.

The S-500 will be a major upgrade to the state-of-the-art S-400 complex that is already in service.

"It is clear the S-500 is intended to serve as a high-altitude antiballistic missile system for home defense, and that its very long range could make it useful for anti-access/area denial and antisatellite tasks. It is also evident that it is designed to be mobile and hard to detect or hack into, so as to resist air-defense suppression strikes," Sébastien Roblin wrote for the National Interest. The analyst added that it remained unclear when the S-500 will become fully operational and whether it would "live up" to its stated capabilities.

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/military/201611121047367251-s500-ballistic-missile-defense/
reported by sputnik
c33292196d8f08ed5b8cb5792bb16c9c.jpg
Can be compared to Israeli Arrow or American Thaad

It's can't, for many reasons. One of them is that Thaad has a kinetic interceptor and can't intercept manoeuvres targets.

Also, Israeli air defence - it's a piece of sh@t.
loled, remind me how many syrian sams Israel shoot down

loled, remind me how many syrian sams Israel shoot down

so how many?

Or do you consider shooting down simple Qassam missiles which is flying at low speed and with simple ballistic trajectory as a great achievement?

the last time i checked israelis failed to intercept slow speed uav.

IDF fails 3 times to bring down drone over Golan

Apparent air-to-air strike and two Patriot missiles couldn’t take out UAV that flew into Israeli airspace from Syria
http://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-we-tried-and-failed-3-times-to-bring-down-drone-over-golan/

so how many?

Or do you consider shooting down simple Qassam missiles which is flying at low speed and with simple ballistic trajectory as a great achievement?

the last time i checked israelis failed to intercept slow speed uav.

IDF fails 3 times to bring down drone over Golan

Apparent air-to-air strike and two Patriot missiles couldn’t take out UAV that flew into Israeli airspace from Syria
http://www.timesofisrael.com/idf-we-tried-and-failed-3-times-to-bring-down-drone-over-golan/
Last time I checked, Syrian sams failed to shoot down Israeli's UAV and Fighter jet in Syria.
and btw, that UAV was IAI made uav, cause Russia buy Israeli drones...

Last time I checked, Syrian sams failed to shoot down Israeli's UAV and Fighter jet in Syria.

The last time Syria successfully intercept the Turkish jet flying close to strategic positions.
As an Israelis being absolutely scum , they are attacking unarmed syrians which is fighting pretty much against half of the world.

Still mad about how the Syrians kicked your *** in last wars?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Turkish_F-4_Phantom_shootdown

and btw, that UAV was IAI made uav, cause Russia buy Israeli drones...

What makes you think it was Israeli drone? Because you fail to intercept your own design? :enjoy:

The last time Syria successfully intercept the Turkish jet flying close to strategic positions.
As an Israelis being absolutely scum , they are attacking unarmed syrians which is fighting pretty much against half of the world.

Still mad about how the Syrians kicked your *** in last wars?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Turkish_F-4_Phantom_shootdown

What makes you think it was Israeli drone? Because you fail to intercept your own design? :enjoy:
Because IAI drone factory produce so many drones in Russia

Calm down guys, no need to escalate.

@DavidSling
Russian ADS such as S-400,S-500 are top notch & one of the best,if not the best,.
The systems Syria have are mostly outdated/obsolete (they still work though & shoot down as Barmaley mentioned.)

@Barmaley
No system is perfect , so cannot be expected from israeli one but they are pretty good if you see.

As you probably be already aware that these systems are made by different country according to their threat perception and needs so no point in comparing because they are made according specific requirement & all servers those requirement very well.

Calm down guys, no need to escalate.

@DavidSling
Russian ADS such as S-400,S-500 are top notch & one of the best,if not the best,.
The systems Syria have are mostly outdated/obsolete (they still work though & shoot down as Barmaley mentioned.)

@Barmaley
No system is perfect , so cannot be expected from israeli one but they are pretty good if you see.

As you probably be already aware that these systems are made by different country according to their threat perception and needs so no point in comparing because they are made according specific requirement & all servers those requirement very well.
What makes you think that Russian systems are better than American but propaganda

What makes you think that Russian systems are better than American but propaganda
I never said something like that if try to read above post again with a clear mind.

but you mentioned Syria, so as they mostly have older systems i mentioned you because they are obsolete but newer Russian ADS are pretty good.
What makes you think they are only propaganda?

PS: If you are biased against something then i have no answer for any question.

I never said something like that if try to read above post again with a clear mind.

but you mentioned Syria, so as they mostly have older systems i mentioned you because they are obsolete but newer Russian ADS are pretty good.
What makes you think they are only propaganda?

PS: If you are biased against something then i have no answer for any question.
I don't say that russian air defenses are less good than the U.S, but out of your comment it would seems that u'd say that Arrow is inferior to S500 which isn't the case at all

I don't say that russian air defenses are less good than the U.S, but out of your comment it would seems that u'd say that Arrow is inferior to S500 which isn't the case at all
If comment is presented to you as such, it was never my intention i

I just said those systems are made to fulfill specific need of specific countries (yes they can be employed elsewhere) .

Back
Top Bottom