What's new

New Zealand soldier killed in Ukraine while on leave from NZ Defence Force

Reaction score
Country
Canada

A New Zealand soldier on leave from the armed forces has reportedly been killed in Ukraine, the New Zealand Defence Force (NZDF) said on Wednesday.

Key points:​

• A New Zealand soldier has been killed in Ukraine while on unpaid leave, according to the NZDF
  • New Zealand has no troops deployed in Ukraine, though 150 soldiers are stationed in the UK to train Ukrainian soldiers
  • The conflict in Ukraine has been ongoing since Russia invaded on February 24

"The New Zealand Army will work closely with the family of the soldier to offer support at this deeply sad time," the NZDF said in a statement.

"At this early stage, there is still more information to be gathered in order to understand the circumstances fully."

The soldier was on leave without pay and was not on active duty with the NZDF.

No further details have been made available, including whether the soldier was taking part in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia when they were killed.

New Zealand's Defence Minister, Peeni Henare, expressed his condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the soldier on Twitter.

"I've been advised the NZ Army are supporting the soldier's family through this difficult time," he said.

I express my condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the NZ soldier who is reported to have died in Ukraine while on leave from the Army. I’ve been advised the NZ Army are supporting the soldiers family through this difficult time. https://t.co/NAjZV9MXzw
— Hon. Peeni Henare MP (@PeeniHenare) August 24, 2022
While the NZDF does not have soldiers deployed in Ukraine, it does have about 150 troops stationed in Britain helping to train Ukrainians in frontline combat.

A number of New Zealanders, estimated by a veterans group at about 100, are taking part in the conflict of their own accord, with a small portion of those involved in direct fighting.

New Zealand media is reporting the soldier was normally based at Burnham Military Camp, about 28 kilometres south of Christchurch.

News of the soldier's death broke on Ukraine's Independence Day, which is also six months to the day since Russia invaded the Eastern European nation on August 24.

@White and Green with M/S @F-22Raptor @Oldman1 @UKBengali @gambit @Ich @jamahir @jamal18 @Hack-Hook @Vergennes @Song Hong @Ali_Baba @bobo6661 @KAL-EL @thetutle @925boy @FuturePAF @mazeto @CAPRICORN-88 @sammuel @Wood @nang2 @Messerschmitt @mmr @Philip the Arab @Apollon @Philip the Arab @Hassan Al-Somal @Viet @Get Ya Wig Split @A.P. Richelieu @letsrock @PakFactor @RescueRanger @ZeGerman @zartosht @Paul2 @Corax @mike2000 is back @Broccoli @oberschlesier @MeFishToo @Gomig-21 @Foinikas @aziqbal @libertad @Akritas

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom