What's new

New US chip export controls wreaking havoc on Chinas chip industry and causing industry wide decapitation

High cost to produce? Or perhaps a high defect rate?
There is the 'yield per wafer' figure. Every new product, including established products but on a new lower node, have a lower yield per wafer figure. If there is 100 dies per wafer, a successful commercial product would require at least %75, or 75 good dies, to sell. This is just a guide, not hard numbers. If I am shopping for a CPU, I would not buy a from a product line that has %50 yield per wafer.

Now, assuming a constant defect density of 0.2 defects per square millimeter, that same calculator tells us that of the 472 total chips produced per wafer, 372 of them will be usable.
Applying this to the larger hex-core Coffee Lake die, I get 286 good die per wafer for a yield rate of 74.8%​

Of course, different products will have different acceptable dies per wafer yield that are considered acceptable to contract. Edge dies are those that are literally at the edge of the wafer are not yielding dies because they are %99 partially created, in other words, incomplete dies, so they are not functional. If there are 100 dies on the wafer but only %10 are good dies, most customers would not contract that product. It means there are serious process flaws. Edge dies are immediately discarded, so why are the rest not functional when they are fully formed dies? So what is wrong with the processes that only %10 of fully formed dies became functional CPU, or DRAM, or NAND, or whatever product? So it is not high defect rate as you alluded but most likely yield per wafer related. Or too low good dies per wafer to be profitable. We do not know.

So you cannot innovate so you forced foreign companies into joint ventures to steal their ideas...

Nothing wrong with that. I guess that conditioning to obey the State did make it to the genetic level in China.
So you do agree US and China is same same? I thought US was better? Hahaahahha hahah. Omg.

According to China's plan, 70% of the chips can be made on their own by 2025. Now it's 27%.
Does the 70% include all the chips stuffed on Apple iPhones, Dell computer, Cisco networking gear ?

See https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/01/column_7nm_chips_china/

Looks like it was a 'Prestige' project. Not a repeatable process. Interestingly, I am curious about their better known Loongson processor, but somehow it is never sold anywhere. I don't understand how they can make a successful product but not sell.

a lot of good technical products are commercial failures

Does the 70% include all the chips stuffed on Apple iPhones, Dell computer, Cisco networking gear ?
In 2025, Chinese mainland will supply 70 per cent of the chips needed for Chinese production.

In 2025, Chinese mainland will supply 70 per cent of the chips needed for Chinese production.

A simple question - Does the 70% include all the chips stuffed on Apple iPhones, Dell computer, Cisco networking gear ?

Shouldn’t Emperor Xi be celebrating?
But comments from his bots indicate a burning smell. That says it all.
Nobody is happy about being inconvenienced, but that's what this event is in the long term.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom