What's new

New Sri Lankan Air Chief Was Trained By PAF !

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Air Vice Marshal Sudarshana Pathirana appointed new Air Force Commander
30 October 2020

1604171980594.png

Air Vice Marshal Sudarshana Pathirana has been appointed as the new Air Force Commander.
Pathirana, born on 30th December 1965 is a product of Dharmaraja College Kandy. He joined the Sri Lanka Air Force on the 2nd of July 1985, where he completed his Basic Ground Training at SLAF Diyatalawa securing the award for the Best Cadet of the 14th Officer Cadets Intake. He was one of the three pilots who were selected for advance flying training in Pakistan Air Force and secured the award for the Best Allied Flight Cadet by the Pakistan Air Force. He received his commission on the 2nd of January 1987 to the rank of Pilot Officer, in the General Duties Pilot Branch.

PAF pilots who go on training in the US also become heads of PAF but we never word it like US-trained pilot became chief of PAF. Four years of training in Pakistan vs his life time training in SLAF. do not disrespect the person.

Sri Lankan airforce has around 7 mig27, 2 Israeli kfir and 2 or 1 f7(mig21).
I guess he trained in the paf f7.
Around 10 trainers.
And 140 odd helicopters.

Advantage of not having immediate threats, you can divert most resources to development.
4000 usd per capita vs 2000 for India.

Around 10 trainers.
And 140 odd helicopters.

Advantage of not having immediate threats, you can divert most resources to development.

i believe all mig-27s have been retired

PAF pilots who go on training in the US also become heads of PAF but we never word it like US-trained pilot became chief of PAF. Four years of training in Pakistan vs his life time training in SLAF. do not disrespect the person.
Apples and Oranges.....put it this way, what would make the headlines, US supplying F-16s to any country or Pakistan selling JF-17s to say Sri Lanka.....there's a reason his training in Pakistan is mentioned in his itinerary.

I understood that angle but again any acquisition decision would be made by the civilian government, not by the chief of air staff. Their civilian government backed out of a similar deal earlier.

Apples and Oranges.....put it this way, what would make the headlines, US supplying F-16s to any country or Pakistan selling JF-17s to say Sri Lanka.....there's a reason his training in Pakistan is mentioned in his itinerary.

Around 10 trainers.
And 140 odd helicopters.

Sirilankan per capita has nothing to do with their small armed forces. Their population growth was in a state of constant decline between 1960s till 2012. Only after the got rid of Tamils Terrorists their population saw a boost meaning higher per capita bcz of being blessed with lower population. India is one of the biggest threat to every neighbor a fact realized by Bangladesh, Nepal and soon Sirilanka will also follow the same path. Even Bangladesh didnt bother to boost its forces untill they got Modis foot on their face.

Sirilankan per capita has nothing to do with their small armed forces. Their population growth was in a state of constant decline between 1960s till 2012. Only after the got rid of Tamils Terrorists their population saw a boost meaning higher per capita bcz of being blessed with lower population. India is one of the biggest threat to every neighbor a fact realized by Bangladesh, Nepal and soon Sirilanka will also follow the same path. Even Bangladesh didnt bother to boost its forces untill they got Modis foot on their face.
What about Pakistan, Myanmar ,china and Bhutan ? Dont play favorites.
Just checked, you are right , from early 70s , Sri Lanka had dropped below the 2.1 % annual growth required to maintain your population.
And in the late 90s it had reached a 0.5 % annual growth figure.
A lesson for us all.

Last edited:
.there's a reason his training in Pakistan is mentioned in his itinerary.

What does this mean ? The SLAF Chief is obliged to mention his stay in Pakistan each time he travels ?

Is this such a serious warning sign , having a Pakistan connection ? I was unaware of this.

Does he have to declare that he once spent time in Pakistan in each and every travel itinerary ?

Surely this is a discrimination against Pakistan of the highest order !

Back
Top Bottom