What's new

New Russian Altius-M long-range Unmanned Aerial Vehicle spotted at the airfield in Kazan

Actually, it does mean Altius can't.

The highest altitude ever recorded by a piston engined propeller aircraft is held by the Boeing Condor at approx. 67,000 ft.

condor2.jpg

For the Altius-M to be able to reach those altitudes is ludicrous since it has a shorter wingspan and higher weight because of operational requirements like communications and surveillance equipment. In any case, this sort of altitude is overkill anyway. Most propeller driven UAVs don't have a ceiling above 30,000 ft, and don't fly at that altitude regularly anyway, chiefly because the sensors are not powerful enough to be able to accurately conduct their mission from that altitude. Even the Altius cannot carry the very heavy equipment that is required if you plan to fly at that altitude.

Thanks for the expert opinion but you haven't have a clue of the wingspan or weight of the Altius-M, just as important is the engine performance which again, you haven't have a clue.

I'm not sure why Iranians are so cocky now when it comes to drones, even claiming you have surpassed Russia. I wasn't aware that Iran overtook Sukhoi overnight. When can we expect an SU-30 or pak-fa equivalent?

Thanks for the expert opinion but you haven't have a clue of the wingspan or weight of the Altius-M, just as important is the engine performance which again, you haven't have a clue.

I'm not sure why Iranians are so cocky now when it comes to drones, even claiming you have surpassed Russia. I wasn't aware that Iran overtook Sukhoi overnight. When can we expect an SU-30 or pak-fa equivalent?

Come on, there is no way the Altius is going to reach 65,000 ft. We can take estimates of the wingspan by looking at the satellite imagery. The Boeing Condor, the record holder for this category had a 60 metre wingspan. Thats more than a Tu-95 bomber. Furthermore, the Altius is a military UAV optimised for stability, endurance, low cost and good payload, not for breaking altitude records. As such, it will be heavier due to carrying reconnaissance/attack payloads, sophisticated comms equipment and will be made from easier to produce materials (I am not saying the Altius will be made from low quality materials. Only that it does not need to be made from high grade materials, given its role).

In any case, such an altitude would be a waste considering the Altius' role, which is a MALE UAV. Propellor driven UAVs do not need to have a ceiling much above 30,000 ft, since they are generally designed to be cheap reconnaissance/counter-terrorism platforms.

Don't put words in my mouth. I did not say Iran's aviation industry is better than Russia's. But in one very specific area, which is UAVs, Iran is currently ahead of Russia considering operational capabilities. This is due mostly to Iran's greater experience in the area, given than Russia's very very (very) large size gives it limited uses for typically short ranged UAVs. I have seen some of the concepts that Russia has put forward and they look promising, but Russia does have a habit of cancelling such projects due to numerous reasons, primarily budgetary. Meanwhile, Iran also has promising prototypes, like the RQ-170 reverse engineering program.

Last edited:
Come on, there is no way the Altius is going to reach 65,000 ft. We can take estimates of the wingspan by looking at the satellite imagery. The Boeing Condor, the record holder for this category had a 60 metre wingspan. Thats more than a Tu-95 bomber. Furthermore, the Altius is a military UAV optimised for stability, endurance, low cost and good payload, not for breaking altitude records. As such, it will be heavier due to carrying reconnaissance/attack payloads, sophisticated comms equipment and will be made from easier to produce materials (I am not saying the Altius will be made from low quality materials. Only that it does not need to be made from high grade materials, given its role).

In any case, such an altitude would be a waste considering the Altius' role, which is a MALE UAV. Propellor driven UAVs do not need to have a ceiling much above 30,000 ft, since they are generally designed to be cheap reconnaissance/counter-terrorism platforms.

Don't put words in my mouth. I did not say Iran's aviation industry is better than Russia's. But in one very specific area, which is UAVs, Iran is currently ahead of Russia considering operational capabilities. This is due mostly to Iran's greater experience in the area, given than Russia's very very (very) large size gives it limited uses for typically short ranged UAVs. I have seen some of the concepts that Russia has put forward and they look promising, but Russia does have a habit of cancelling such projects due to numerous reasons, primarily budgetary. Meanwhile, Iran also has promising prototypes, like the RQ-170 reverse engineering program.

This might come as a shocker to you but the wings of an aircraft are not the only thing that generates lift. A wing can generate lift based on leading edge thickness and design, and it goes beyond length and width, 'cant' and even winglets all play a role in lift.

Moreover, even the fusalage provides lift, I am talking length and with as well as the geometry, equally as important is the fusaleges shape, just as a leading edge of a wing generates low pressure for lift so can a good fuselage. Then there are the V-tail (again length with and cant all determine lift). And another major component of lift is the narcelles. They also provide lift.

And of course engines are highly important to operating at high altitude. There is no question that the Altius has the potential to reach over 60,000 feet especially with twin 500 hp engines.

Operations at 60,000+ feet also increase survivability.

Thats sweet

But, I want to see some goodies in my lifetime. By that, I am referring to the achievements not belonging to USA and theirs satanic circle

Thanks to China and their steady progress I can contemplate about the world in an era following USA domination and terror. Chinese drones are the present, and Russian are uncertain future. Im deeply disappointed by the russian level in unmanned and other crucial tech

Altius and russian UCAV will maybe be induced in five or more years. When I am dead and gone, that is not going to mean anything

p.s Does Russia has the acces to the german aero diesels now with sanctions and everything ?

Where are the russian diesels and small turboprops ? How can Russia serially build advances drones without those ?
Russia is still ahead in overall defense tech, talents. She may lag in drones, but given her mighty aviation industry, All she need is money to return to the glory.

This might come as a shocker to you but the wings of an aircraft are not the only thing that generates lift. A wing can generate lift based on leading edge thickness and design, and it goes beyond length and width, 'cant' and even winglets all play a role in lift.

Moreover, even the fusalage provides lift, I am talking length and with as well as the geometry, equally as important is the fusaleges shape, just as a leading edge of a wing generates low pressure for lift so can a good fuselage. Then there are the V-tail (again length with and cant all determine lift). And another major component of lift is the narcelles. They also provide lift.

And of course engines are highly important to operating at high altitude. There is no question that the Altius has the potential to reach over 60,000 feet especially with twin 500 hp engines.

Operations at 60,000+ feet also increase survivability.
I remain skeptical. The wings are still the main lifting component in an aircraft, and estimates of the Altius' wingspan put it at less than half of the Condors. I don't exactly see any large differences in width of the engines, nor do I see any obvious lifting body elements.

Since you mention the engines - do you actually know what make/model the engines are?

I remain skeptical. The wings are still the main lifting component in an aircraft, and estimates of the Altius' wingspan put it at less than half of the Condors. I don't exactly see any large differences in width of the engines,

I never mentioned width of engines. I said the engine narceles provide lift. The reason why Mig-29 and SU-30 have narceles as aposed to a flat fuselage is because it provides more lift.

nor do I see any obvious lifting body elements.

That is because you are ignorant, I don't mean that in a rude way, I mean you don't know any better. The entire aircraft from the wings, fuselage, narceles to V-tails is a lifting body.

Even if we ignor wing design which I can go into great lengths and talk about leading edges, blending and so on and how that effects lift; we still have the fuselage and the entire aircraft as a whole, and how the airflow creates low pressure, vortexes and so on which contributes to lift.

Simply put, it goes well beyond 'just wings'.

Since you mention the engines - do you actually know what make/model the engines are?

The prototype appears to have German Turbo diesel RED A03 / V12 diesel engines, engines with a 500hp output each.

I never mentioned width of engines
Sorry, I made a mistake. I meant the width of the wings.

That is because you are ignorant, I don't mean that in a rude way, I mean you don't know any better. The entire aircraft from the wings, fuselage, narceles to V-tails is a lifting body.
I don't mean that. I know that a fuselage, nacelles etc all contribute to lift. By lifting body elements I meant specific techniques like LERX. Although it's not applicable in this design, another element is the "tunnel" between the nacelles on the F-14 which generated quite a bit of lift. As you said, this is also applicable on the Fulcrum and Flanker family.

The prototype appears to have German Turbo diesel RED A03 / V12

Aha.

The Maximum Operating Altitude of that engine is 25,000 ft.

PDF spec sheet below.

Attachments

• EASA_E_150_TCDS_REDA03_issue 01_20141219_1.pdf
    26.8 KB · Views: 37
Russia is still ahead in overall defense tech, talents. She may lag in drones, but given her mighty aviation industry, All she need is money to return to the glory.
they have a brain drain economic no so good so people go to better economicly country

Back
Top Bottom