What's new

New Russian Altius-M long-range Unmanned Aerial Vehicle spotted at the airfield in Kazan

Zarvan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Analysis of commercial satellite imagery indicates increased activity at a program of development of a new Russian Altius-M long-range Unmanned Aerial Vehicle.

The images show the new drone at the airfield in Kazan. The Altius-M is a long-range Unmanned Aerial Vehicle develops by reconnaissance missions and destroying targets that have been detected.

In 2011, the Tranzas won the Defense Ministry’s tender for the development of two kinds of heavy drones, the “Pacer” and Altius-M, which weigh 1 metric tons and 5 metric tons, respectively.

The 5-ton Altius-M aircraft system uses a modular approach with a variety of payloads to perform strike, reconnaissance and electronic warfare (EW) missions using the Khibiny or Borisoglebsk-2 jamming systems.

The aircraft system features a long wing design with two under-wing turboprop engines and a V-shaped tail. By its size and weight, it is similar to the United States Air Force (USAF) MQ-9 Reaper.

The Altius-M first flight was completed during 2014 with testing to be carried out during 2015. Enter into service is planned for 2017 or later.

http://defence-blog.com/news/new-ru...vehicle-spotted-at-the-airfield-in-kazan.html

The prototype of Altius-M has been already shown during assembling two years ago. The prototype already flying, but it's kept in secret. Sadly.

Btw, it has AESA radar on board :)
1801517_original.jpg

1801749_original.jpg

JneAW.jpg

does russia has any combat drones ??

The prototype of Altius-M has been already shown during assembling two years ago. The prototype already flying, but it's kept in secret. Sadly.

Btw, it has AESA radar on board :)
1801517_original.jpg

1801749_original.jpg

JneAW.jpg
Correct me if I am mistaken, but aren't those internal combustion engines, not turboprops?

Also, why twin engines? One engine would be more efficient, and also allow for ease of weapons carriage on underwing pylons.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but aren't those internal combustion engines, not turboprops?

Also, why twin engines? One engine would be more efficient, and also allow for ease of weapons carriage on underwing pylons.
And it's diesel engine too not turboprops.

I feel very bad about russia because they didn't made any decent combat drones irrespective of having superior aerospace industry.

They didnt even menaged to build a regular unarmed MALE drone

Look, where is China with their steady and patient work over years. Almost everything Russia has , is the legacy of soviet era. And China is advancing astonishingly mostly in last 20 years

They didnt even menaged to build a regular unarmed MALE drone

Look, where is China with their steady and patient work over years. Almost everything Russia has , is the legacy of soviet era. And China is advancing astonishingly mostly in last 20 years

Our "regular unarmed MALE drone" has been in flight testing since 2014 as the article mentions.

Our "regular unarmed MALE drone" has been in flight testing since 2014 as the article mentions.

What are you reffering to : Orion, Inokhodec, Altius ... ?

Maybe its in trials, but wider public havent got a chance to see it. Even Iran and Turkey are better in UAV field than Russia. Its kinda sad ....

Israel Aerospace Industries has a UAV facility in Russia

Thats not russian engineering, development, technology, component base ...

Its a hell of a shame. Russia settled with 1998 israeli drone. Its a disgraceful for the country , used to be a super power

Thats not russian engineering, development, technology, component base ...

Its a hell of a shame. Russia settled with 1998 israeli drone. Its a disgraceful for the country , used to be a super power
Curb your anger. Russia was forced to choose priorities after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
But in the next 5-10 years, Russia will be among the leaders in the drones production.

Curb your anger

I dont feel any anger any more, since I ve realized which way russian train is going long a go

Russia choose to scrap many soviet technologies, facilities, highly skilled work force. Drones are just only one field where is lagging behind badly. Just look, at russian hellicopter missiles. There are no fire and forget missiles, NLOS missiles, targeting pods, advanced termovision ...

Your thesis, that Russia consciously choose some priorities is false. Almost only VPK subjects that survived through 90s were those, who maintained production thank to orders from China, India, Vietnam etc. There are some exceptions, were some plants and institutes push through the era due to the enthusiasm of menagment and workers. But, vast portion of soviet VPK along with precious skilled workforce "канул в лету"

Back
Top Bottom