What's new

New Modified Brahmos with 500 KM Range

IND151

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
159821925.jpg

India has uprated its BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles by installing the advanced satellite navigation systems from Russia's Kh-555 and Kh-101 strategic long-range cruise missiles, adding GPS-GLONASS technology to the existing doppler-inertial platform, Izvestia reported on Tuesday quoting sources in the military-industrial complex.

The integration of the navigation systems from Kh-555 will turn BrahMos, a supersonic cruise missile, into a "super-rocket" with almost a sub-strategic capability above its normal tactical range, capable of hitting targets over 180-300 miles (300-500 km), from sea, land and air launchers, and capable of being armed with a nuclear warhead, the source said.

The installation of the advanced navigation system is optimised for the new air-launched version of BrahMos, which will be carried by India's Russian-built Sukhoi Su-30MKI strike fighters. India plans to deploy over 200 of the advanced aircraft by 2020.

The combination of air-launched BrahMos with the Su-30 will give India a long-range strike capability similar to Russia's Tu-95MS and Tu-160 strategic bombers, said aviation analyst and editor of Vzlet magazine Vladimir Sherbakov.

"This missile is an important element in the military power of the Indian armed forces and our Indian partners have placed a lot of faith in it," he said.

The Indian Navy carried out a successful test-firing of the sea-launched variant of the weapon on October 7 from the frigate INS Teg off the coast of Goa, the New Indian Express reported.
BrahMos can reach a speed of Mach 2.8 at levels as low as 30 feet (10 m) or fly high-profile diving attacks. The missile was jointly developed by Russia and India, based on the NPO Mashinostroyenie 3M55 Onyx (NATO SS-N-26).

India Modifies Brahmos Missile With New Nav System | Defense | RIA Novosti

if modified then with range of be 500 km and that's going had dramatic effect especially in naval warfare.

Modified ??? Or just pretended to modified :P I think Brahmos already was over 300Km range mark

brahmos is around 800km. But, there are certain authorisational blocks that have to be cleared, before the slight modifications are done for use over 300 km.

Awesome news if true. it will be decisive in Navel warfare. Maneuverable cruise missile at speed of Mach 3 . Just launch 2 against a naval target on different trajectory n Get assured kill.

It is difficult to believe a huge missile like Brahmos has only 300 km range while similar missile in Russia has much more range than that. It should be 500+ km missile but restricted by software codes due to MTCR.

Unless the missile's size in increased or more fuel added at the expense of lesser sized warhead..it doesnt seem possible to increase the range..

Unless the missile's size in increased or more fuel added at the expense of lesser sized warhead..it doesnt seem possible to increase the range..

Expect the range to be close to 700-1000km give or take. And the structural components are not tht hard to change just the motor and guidance is a feat of tech.

It is difficult to believe a huge missile like Brahmos has only 300 km range while similar missile in Russia has much more range than that. It should be 500+ km missile but restricted by software codes due to MTCR.
i was very much expecting this development since America is in talks of upgrading SK missiles ignoring its own MTCR .

If this is true it is a great news.

But I am still wondering; how did Dr. Pillai get past the MTCR?

Even if the Russian side doesn't do anything, BrahMos is still a Russian-Indian product under a JV company.

In US case, I can see that they themselves took the initiative to kick aside MTCR for SK missiles. But in our case and with this government, I am still wondering how did they get the courage to do something like this? :woot:

If this is true it is a great news.

But I am still wondering; how did Dr. Pillai get past the MTCR?

Even if the Russian side doesn't do anything, BrahMos is still a Russian-Indian product under a JV company.

In US case, I can see that they themselves took the initiative to kick aside MTCR for SK missiles. But in our case and with this government, I am still wondering how did they get the courage to do something like this? :woot:

They probably had a deal with the Russian when the project began. They might have just waited for the right time to increase the range.

The entire line of argument is wrong since the range is already more than 300Kms.. Just compare the missiles of the same category in russian arsenal and brahmos, u will notice something similar.. ;)

Back
Top Bottom