What's new

New Islamabad Airport Progress

17991682_1315876408481351_5984940757085548201_o.jpg

18698462_1347999408602384_4688857944607897346_n.jpg

18300997_1332363943499264_2790998662509760659_n.jpg

18010596_1312809965454662_3374841520656012783_n.jpg

18300899_1329894493746209_985876227217657257_n.jpg

It really pains to see this picture!!
What this airport could have been or SHOULD have been if not for the absolutely pathetic professionalism or complete lack of it on part of the authorities. That second runway, if just 15-20m further away from the first one could have been used as well for simultaneously operations making this a proper two runway airport. Really pains to see or think about that mismanagement. What a beautiful airport this is, the first proper modern airport i would say, only if we hadn't screwed up that one aspect! :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

What this airport could have been or SHOULD have been if not for the absolutely pathetic professionalism or complete lack of it on part of the authorities. That second runway, if just 15-20m further away from the first one could have been used as well for simultaneously operations making this a proper two runway airport. Really pains to see or think about that mismanagement. What a beautiful airport this is, the first proper modern airport i would say, only if we hadn't screwed up that one aspect! :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

It can still be done...just expand the second runway to its extreme by 20 meters, and narrow it down from the other side...Yes it need some more area to be included in the Isb airport, all along the runway. But I think it can be done.

It can still be done...just expand the second runway to its extreme by 20 meters, and narrow it down from the other side...Yes it need some more area to be included in the Isb airport, all along the runway. But I think it can be done.

Basically wat i heard its all media twist, in official model there will be three run ways

currently 1 is main runway 2nd one is emergency runway, in future they will have third runway on other side of the current terminal. In Isd traffica is nt that much that they need two parallel runway,

Theoretically it can be!!
However the problem is not having one or two runways, the problem is having such morons and idiots sitting on top and managing the international airport of our CAPITAL who do not know these basic things. It will cost us some money but if there is some insaan ka bacha running the show at some time, it can be done for sure. The airport have enough land on that side already so there wont be a need to purchase more land either. None of this however makes the fact any less significant that the screwed up pretty bad at planning and designing of this particular feature. Who ever were responsible for the planning and development SHOULD have been educated enough in this field to know these basic things.

CAA acquiring land for third runway at Islamabad Airport

The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) is planning to acquire over 2,800 acres of additional land to build a third runway at the Islamabad International Airport scheduled to be operational by Aug 14 this year.

According to a document available with Dawn, the CAA will have to acquire 2,833 acres to build a third runway, the proposed land for which lies in the existing locality of Pind Ranjha.

It was learnt that there had been resistance within the authority regarding the proposed site as some CAA officials believed that the third runway should run parallel to the other two runways which have already been built.

They were of the view that the proposed site would not be feasible and that the CAA would have to bear the additional cost of a new air traffic control tower and other infrastructure for air traffic on the third runway. These facilities were available on the other side of the terminal where the other two runways have been constructed.

The third runway would be beyond the airport terminal as well as the public car parking area and could therefore turn into a security risk, they feared.

The document said that the CAA had already acquired 3,571.5 acres of land for the airport and it was believed that this would cater to future requirements for at least 25 years.

When contacted, the CAA spokesman Amir Mehboob said the authority was sticking to its commitment of making the new airport functional by Aug 14 this year, while work on third runway may continue. “The construction of a third runway does not mean that the project will be delayed,” he added.

He said he had held a meeting with representatives of local and international airlines and goods handling companies at the site of the new airport on Friday to finalise the plan regarding its operations.

Responding to concerns over the proposed site of the third runway, he said he was not technically equipped to comment on the issue.

A senior CAA official requesting anonymity told Dawn that the third runway would be built beyond the airport terminal due to technical reasons. Its construction would be complete in a few years.

He said one of the reasons the site was proposed beyond the airport building was that a distance of at least one-and-a-half km had been ensured between two runways to meet the international standard. However, he did not answer why the existing two runways had been constructed at a distance of less than 200 yards.

To concerns regarding security threats, he said the site of the third runway was proposed close to the existing car parking area for the convenience of passengers. “We have also issued directives through our offices concerned regarding restrictions on any sort of construction beyond the third runway,” he added.

He said one of the reasons why the new runway would not be parallel to the existing runways was that the CAA did not own land on that side and in case of new land acquisition, the authority would have to purchase more land in that area as compared to the proposed site.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1315872

this is interesting the way Chinese people pronounce "PAKISTAN"......

Like "Pagista"

Its not mismanagement or pathetic professionalism man, In fact two two runways which you and some other guys are talking about are not for two parallel landing and takeoffs. out of these two one is main runway, whereas the inner runway is emergency runway which will only be used in case of maintenance of main runway or something wrong happening on main runway. And the second runway for this airport will be situated on other side of terminal and this is exactly what the master plan says for this airport. And for your kind information land acquisition is already started for the second runway so whenever need arises for second runway they will construct it on its mentioned location.
Regards,

Its not mismanagement or pathetic professionalism man, In fact two two runways which you and some other guys are talking about are not for two parallel landing and takeoffs. out of these two one is main runway, whereas the inner runway is emergency runway which will only be used in case of maintenance of main runway or something wrong happening on main runway. And the second runway for this airport will be situated on other side of terminal and this is exactly what the master plan says for this airport. And for your kind information land acquisition is already started for the second runway so whenever need arises for second runway they will construct it on its mentioned location.
Regards,
Sir they made this change to what the want to call that other runway once the screw up was identified. If you go to earlier documents regarding the airport it was always supposed to be a dual runway airport with both in simultaneous operations. They messed up, now they want more money for more land to construct what they call a THIRD runway.

Sir they made this change to what the want to call that other runway once the screw up was identified. If you go to earlier documents regarding the airport it was always supposed to be a dual runway airport with both in simultaneous operations. They messed up, now they want more money for more land to construct what they call a THIRD runway.
Arslan sb. the original render is here with attached in which you can clearly see the two runways on opposite direction of terminal building. What they changed later on only the terminal building design which is also can see in the second pic. Hope now you will understand.

Attachments

• nia5.jpg
    nia5.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 61
  • isloo airport.jpg
    isloo airport.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 66
@Arsalan

This is what I found based on my uninformed google search. I'm sure people more familiar with the field can better explain the pros and cons of the decision to maintain a 1.5KM spacing:

Safety-Related Issues Affecting Independent Approaches to Closely-Spaced Parallel Instrument Runways
Independent operations on closely-spaced parallel runways are significantly safety critical and should be used only after a proper risk assessment has been undertaken. In this process, the issues listed below, which are contained in ICAO Doc 9643 Manual on Simultaneous Operations on Parallel or near parallel Instrument Runways (SOIR), should be considered:

a) weather limitations — independent instrument approaches to parallel runways spaced by less than 1,525 m but not less than 1,035 m between centre lines should, as prescribed by the appropriate ATS authority, be suspended under certain adverse weather conditions including windshear, turbulence, downdrafts, crosswind and severe weather such as thunderstorms, which might increase ILS localiser deviations to the extent that safety may be impaired and/or an unacceptable number of deviation alerts would be generated;

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Parallel_Runway_Operation

@Arsalan

This is what I found based on my uninformed google search. I'm sure people more familiar with the field can better explain the pros and cons of the decision to maintain a 1.5KM spacing:

Safety-Related Issues Affecting Independent Approaches to Closely-Spaced Parallel Instrument Runways
Independent operations on closely-spaced parallel runways are significantly safety critical and should be used only after a proper risk assessment has been undertaken. In this process, the issues listed below, which are contained in ICAO Doc 9643 Manual on Simultaneous Operations on Parallel or near parallel Instrument Runways (SOIR), should be considered:

a) weather limitations — independent instrument approaches to parallel runways spaced by less than 1,525 m but not less than 1,035 m between centre lines should, as prescribed by the appropriate ATS authority, be suspended under certain adverse weather conditions including windshear, turbulence, downdrafts, crosswind and severe weather such as thunderstorms, which might increase ILS localiser deviations to the extent that safety may be impaired and/or an unacceptable number of deviation alerts would be generated;

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/Parallel_Runway_Operation
Thank you for sharing the details sir, i am sorry but it seems that i have not managed to make my point clear here. The thing is not that i hate it because it will have a single runway (that can be used at one time) but because it is this way ONLY because we messed up on such basic thing. We know that these two runways at Islamabad cannot be operated simultaneously not because of wind shear, turbulence, downdraft, crosswinds or thunderstorm but because the planers and designers FORGOT that there should be some 100m meter of extra space between them to make it happen. They had the land, the had the space and it was just miscalculation. It is more like that Saouth African defeat in world cup's rain effected match where they miscalculated the D/L target and played the last ball with a dead bat for a stop thinking they have won. We did the same. No we can present as many reasons as we want but the fact will remain that the two runways were build a 100m too close for them to be used together. JUST A HUNDRED METERS SIR! That is incompetence as far as i can see.

Arslan sb. the original render is here with attached in which you can clearly see the two runways on opposite direction of terminal building. What they changed later on only the terminal building design which is also can see in the second pic. Hope now you will understand.
Thanks for sharing this. Can you confirm if the first image (the one with run way on both sides of terminal) is not that initial shelved plan that was put on hold due to other concerns of military quite a few years back? From what little i know, ever since this current airport started the idea was of the similar shape and layout airport as we see today with the provision of an EXTRA TERMINAL in future, the one they are now asking to build right away so that that runway can be used.

Frankly, the Islamabad air traffic might not reach a level where we need two simultaneously operate able runways but as i explained, that is not my point. My point is the REASON for which we are not going to be able to operate them together.

Bro why people asking here this is an old design i think no Pakistani airport is in comparison with new islamabad air port.i think it will be a state of the art airport. Why they are comparing this with the rich gulf airports. We are so happy and excited with the pics of NIIA

Back
Top Bottom