What's new

New Iranian MASAF rifle

Maybe you gotto abolish conscription
It's not so simple you see. Most countries with enemies close to them, even if they have relatively large populations, want to have their people be capable of fighting a war as soon as it starts.

Nothing would make me happier than Iran modernizing its ground forces, these kinds of things are key to setting up what a soldier in the upcoming years should have it his arsenal.

And that sadly is the whole problem,iran in effect has two militaries and as is often the case we see much wasted duplication of effort,iran should be trying to reduce the numbers/types of different rifles in service and to get both militaries to standardize on one new common design and yet here we can see that the exact opposite is happening.
How "developing new weapons" proceeds in Iran ?

Iranian government giving R&D budget and both militaries spend their budget according to their likening ?

Iranian government giving R&D budget and both militaries spend their budget according to their likening ?
actually it's three of them, Defense ministry, army and IRGC, all of them have their own R&D.

actually it's three of them, Defense ministry, army and IRGC, all of them have their own R&D.
I mean... let's me explain the Process in Turkey.

When need rises for a new weapon system. SSM issues a Request for Propasal. Several defense firms bids on the RFP. SSM evaluates the bids and tasks on the defense firm with the task. Then the system will be designed, developed and produced.

How this process goes in Iran ? Like all these three institutions selects their own R&D projects ? Are there any coordination between them ? Because like developing a similar system by all 3 institutions is not an effective approach in my opinion (Waste of resources).

I mean... let's me explain the Process in Turkey.

When need rises for a new weapon system. SSM issues a Request for Propasal. Several defense firms bids on the RFP. SSM evaluates the bids and tasks on the defense firm with the task. Then the system will be designed, developed and produced.

How this process goes in Iran ? Like all these three institutions selects their own R&D projects ? Are there any coordination between them ? Because like developing a similar system by all 3 institutions is not an effective approach in my opinion (Waste of resources).
I'm sure there is a coordination there but it is more like who would be working in what field.

For example missiles are specialty of IRGC. So any of the forces who needs missiles, goes to one of the organizations that is a subsidiary of IRGC. Radars are usually researched by Army. So anyone who needs radars goes to their subsidiary organizations like SAIRAN.

Bavar 373 AA system is a good example. The truck is built by defense ministry, missiles are built by IRGC and radar and tracking system by Army.

And they respectively use their R&D in their specific fields. Of course there are some gray areas where two or even three of the entities work on the same thing. For example drones is a an area of interest to all three so all of them are working on developing drones that meet their own need.

Private sector is just walking into this arena. That's why we are still away from the situation where whole systems are tendered out. But for now components are mostly tendered out. For example softwares, visual components and seekers are all produced but private sector.

In very rare cases the whole system is also tendered out as well.For example I recall seeing an RFP for production of Hoot super cavity torpedo that somehow had got into public access area of the web. In that case the mechanism of how the torpedo was supposed to work had been laid out in layman terms and contenders were supposed to submit their technical proposal first showing how they would meet the requirements and when the technical proposal was approved, the contenders would submit their asking price.

IMG_20170206_142435.jpg

139511181230329719921894.jpg

139511181230333939921894.jpg

5dastavarde_sasad_28929.JPG

5dastavarde_sasad_28229.JPG

139511181230333159921894-1.jpg

Amazing, MODAFL-supported knock-off projects based on small arms in service with Iraqi Security Forces (and PMF): M4 / M16A4 and P99.

I keep seeing new rifles, but non of them are mass produced, and in standard service
All the 5 new weapons unveiled today is already in mass production as it was the "Mass production unveiling ceremony" and soon you see all these 5 weapons not only in Iranian standard service but also in other parts of the ME

It is somehow a complicated system in Iran. First, projects are categorized nationally according to their importance and the level of budget and expertise they might need. So, we have strategic nation projects that are normally is managed by a single team but all capabilities anyhere in Iran will be asked for participation and will be used (Bavar-373, Frigates, Submarines, space tech, ICBM, Satellite, etc.. these are national projects and the team in charge of planning and overseeing the projects use the same system as Turkey with private high tech companies, IRGC, Army and DM subdivisions... - announce the need through their own channels..Get proposals and then choose which company or concersiums will work on the projects)

Some are handed over to the strongest universities or research centers specifically like projects X and Y.

Some are specifically and with no tenders goes to unique companies. I know of a system X in field of electronic warfare that is directly ordered to work on and deliver X needs by a private company in X city. (What a useful info I gave u here!)

So, depending on the project it is either processed as in Turkey (American is better name) or NK way or Chinese way or Iranians way... Iran is not an open partner with Nato or other to be able to act like Turkey. Iranian weapons has an advantage as element of surprise or ambiguity in capabilities that is suited well with Iranian current position with all these eager enemies so forgive me If I can not discuss names.

actually it's based on HK416
Look at that lower receiver, it's M4 / M16, not HK. There's kits for M4 to use a HK-style upper, but you wouldn't call the modified rifle HK-based, you would call such M4-based. And ultimately the HK itself is based on M4 design.

With respect, I'd very much be surprised to see these Iranian knock-offs put into "mass production." These sorts of projects tend to be busy work for Iran's engineers and machinists, while all the same rendering publicity of a political nature.

Iran-supported Iraqi PMF and FP use the real thing, which no doubt provide better performance and reliability. The Iranian P99, in particular, appears cruder than the Polish FB.

IRGC recently purchased AK-103 assault rifles, publicized AUG2016 at Tasnim News Agency. More recently same source touted their use during Imam Ali exercise. (I'd provide links but for the forum's minimum post rule.) Moreover this purchase indicates the direction of Iran's small arms procurement.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom