What's new

New hope for Tank-Ex concept of India

archangel

New Recruit

Reaction score
Tank Ex to be an Indian T-72 upgrade option:yahoo:

0479.jpg

i unable to understand what they want to do.but i think if drdo upgrate the t-72 than t-72 will call tank-ex. am i right ? if no please any body explain it.

why dont you guys just buy T90s instead...You dont have problem for money. And as far i know T90 are produced in India so why upgrading T 72.

This is an old article , carried by only one website , and no word since.

I seriously doubt this news.

why dont you guys just buy T90s instead...You dont have problem for money. And as far i know T90 are produced in India so why upgrading T 72.

Thats Exactly what we are doing Dear.... But As we have money to Upgrade the T-72's also ,we are wasting OUR MONEY on it.... any harm??

100 million for 1000 tanks, thats very economic. Besides why to purchase new ones when current inventory is sufficient or can be made sufficient with minimum cost.

T-72 (chassis) + Arjun (modified turret) = Tank Ex.

1) Tank Ex is much more cost effective than buying T-90S/M.

2) Tank Ex someway better than T-90S.

Its an option to upgrade to Tank Ex. Indian Army not yet given go ahead. They are examining other options as well.

if we buy new t-90 or arjun tank than we can buy only 330 or 250 tank but if we upgrade t-72 than we have new 1000 tank for $100 mn which is comparable to t-90 or arjun tank.

That is because we think we can upgrade an existing product, so why spend millions in acquiring new ones.

Also, if we have multiple varieties of tanks, the enemy would be compelled to restructure its strategies in countering each of the tanks we have. Also, Tank-Ex would be an indigenous venture. So, issues with quality, transfer of half-technologies and after-upgrades due to faulty materials or absence of vital equipments.

Also, it gives us an opportunity to enter the international market and who knows that we might even get contracts for upgrading the 1000s of T-72s out there already serving other countries which have seen their days and now need desperate upgradation.

i thought it had more to do with the 72 being lighter than 90 and arjun. doesn't the army need a light and a heavy tank together?

i unable to understand what they want to do.but i think if drdo upgrate the t-72 than t-72 will call tank-ex. am i right ? if no please any body explain it.

No T-72 upgraded will not be called tank-ex. Please consider the following points.

1)Indian army has nearly 1700 T-72 tanks in its inventory. (1400 will be upgraded)

2)It is well liked by the Army for its ruggedness, low silhouette and weight (41.5 tons) as well as firepower (125mm 2A46 smoothbore main gun, 12.7mm anti-air machine gun and 7.62mm co-axial).

3)T-72 was scheduled to be upgraded in early 1990s, but due to bad economic situation then, it could not be materialized.

4)250 T-72 has already been upgraded to a benchmark standard called "Ajeya" by DRDO way back in 2004 referred to as "combat improved" standard.

5)The next step proposed was "gold standard" upgrade including thermal imager integrated with the Drawa-T fire control system, supplied by Israel's El-Op.

• New radios: DRDO's and BEL's (Bharat Electronics Ltd) state-of-the-art frequency hopping combat net radio, to be manufactured by BEL.

• A fibre optic gyro-based navigation system: BEL's advanced land navigation system.

• Laser Warning System: Designed by DRDO, BEL and Indian Industry, to be manufactured by BEL.

6)During extensive R&D on Arjun projects, many spin-offs (these include the armour, laser warning system, the Integrated Fire Detection & Suppression System, and 125mm Fin Stabilised Armour Penetrating Discarding Sabot (FSAPDS) were decided to be applied to T-72 and that evolved into a DRDO's baby called Tank-ex.

7)This tank-ex has 1000 hp engine.

This whole upgrade due to many in-house developments was the most cost-effective solution for T-72 upgrade.

Now, I feel this Tank-ex platform will be used as a base platform and will be further upgraded to include better infrared imaging sights and improved accuracy where raytheon and L&T come into picture.

PS: It is not at all wise to scrap over 1700 reasonably good armour considering it is not impeding any new inductions i.e. Arjun and T-90 or any further R&D, as both these programs are going on at their own pace.

Thats Exactly what we are doing Dear.... But As we have money to Upgrade the T-72's also ,we are wasting OUR MONEY on it.... any harm??

Corrected: Can you explain why IA rejected Tank EX?

Isn't that the perfect mix of T90s and Arjun? A rugged, light and proven chassis, with the turret and gun of Arjun, that proved to be better during the trials too and latest sight and defense systems. Not to mention the clear advantage in cost-effectiveness, compared to new T90s!

Although I must say it wouldn't be a good looking tank, it might be at least a good performing tank alongside the T90s and Arjuns and DRDO could at least produce more Arjun turrets, if IA don't order more Arjuns directly.

Last edited:
You serve in IA right? Can you explain why do you think it would be a waste of money?

Sancho he was giving a sarcastic reply to some claims by member that we have enough money so why wasting money on up-gradation....

You serve in IA right? Can you explain why do you think it would be a waste of money?
Isn't that the perfect mix of T90s and Arjun? A rugged, light and proven chassis, with the turret and gun of Arjun, that proved to be better during the trials too and latest sight and defense systems. Not to mention the clear advantage in cost-effectiveness, comptared to new T90s!

last time i read about tank ex was that it is t 72 chassis + arjun turret !!

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom