What's new

New global lineup lists India as 3rd most powerful nation

The French bloody hates us according to the pew poll, but then they hate anyone who isn't French and start their day with baguette. :rolleyes:

I use to hear stories about those so-called French in Quebec won't talk to anyone that don't speak French, is it still like that nowadays?

The French bloody hates us according to the pew poll, but then they hate anyone who isn't French and start their day with baguette. :rolleyes:

Ahhh you see there was a anti-foreigner anti-missionary spiritual movement in the late 1800's. They killed a couple of Christian Missionaries and with the tacit encouragement of the Qing government besieged the foreign concession in Beijing. The siege was broken after a few weeks and the relief force that defeated the boxers promptly sack the beautiful summer palace in Beijing and demanded a billizion dollars in reparations (the indemntive I mentioned above.)

One of the most poignant memory I had as a child growing up in Beijing was seeing the rain pot in the forbidden city and being told that the scrap marks on them were from the bayonets of foreign soldiers trying scrap off the gold.

goldvats2.jpg

Here are some pictures of the restored summer palace

Summer-Palace-Beijing-China-27.jpg

Yi_He_Yuan_-_A._Holdrinet.jpg

100_0410.JPG

Bridge17span.jpg

Here are some drawings of the burnt part that was never restored.

Looting_of_the_Yuan_Ming_Yuan_by_Anglo_French_forces_in_1860.jpg

more pics at the bottom of wiki page
Summer Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They shouldn't have rebuilt it. They should have left it as a testament to the evils of imperialism.

I use to hear stories about those so-called French in Quebec won't talk to anyone that don't speak French, is it still like that nowadays?

Nah, it may be the case in smaller towns IDK, but in places like Montreal, Quebec city and french half of Ottawa, you can get by perfectly well with English. I worked with a girl who goes to McGill (montreal) and she doesn't speak a lick of French.

They shouldn't have rebuilt it. They should have left it as a testament to the evils of imperialism.

Agreed. Never again.

When was this? I've never read about it.QUOTE]

Here you go, i read it from here a while back;

Ladies and gentlemen, I am so happy to be invited to speak on China and the world economy. China’s economic development over the past 25 years has been a miracle. China has maintained a GDP growth rate of 9 percent for 25 years, and this is a rare case in the history of economic development of the world. Many people ask me about China’s economic development. What are the factors behind China’s fast economic development? I think it is a very sophisticated process. It seems to me that two major forces are driving this development. First is the economic reform policy China pursued since 1979. For a long time, China was a planned economy and had ups and downs. And during the Cultural Revolution in the late 1960s and 1970s, China’s economy was on the brink of bankruptcy
Speech: China and the World Economy

Bankruptcy is not a term that you can use for countries. How can a country go bankrupt when it does not borrow from others? China had no loans from anyone, and any financial problems at the time could have been resolved by simply cutting expenditures. Bankruptcy is defined as inability to repay loans! This economist is talking like an uneducated thug.

indeed the US is closer to bankruptcy than China ever was.

Well at most if you try to start conversation with them, they'll speak out in French. Just say I beg your pardon and most would readily switch to English. My friend who studies at McGill and other Pakistanis there are French illiterate but go by well. However, knowledge of french is probably a requirement if you want to work and settle in Quebec.

Are you one of those radical rightists that believe 蒋猥猿掌 was the savior of the chinese nation?

Comeon bro let's not get too emotional here. Everyone is entitle to his/her own political beliefs. Nomenclature is pro-Chinese so that makes him a nationalist in my book.

I think it is about time that we return to topic. If we don't certain members of this forum will come and complain that the Chinese are "needling them" by taking over the topic.

ok ok. these rankings are meaningless. anyhow, i am not happy about china being ranked 2nd, that means they 1.) still have the right to look down on us and 2.) already recognize us as a threat. indians should also be insulted that 1.) they are being looked at and 2.) being recognized as potential competitors. the best way to win is to let the opponent not even know you are competing.

Why are they comparing the EU with individual countries like US, China and India?

The EU is a union of 27 countries. The EU does not have a single unified defence policy, diplomatic policy, etc.

Those 27 individual member states, act as individuals with regards to such policies. Surely it would make more sense to compare the EU to other groups of countries?

India third most powerful nation: US report

WASHINGTON: India is listed as the third most powerful country in the world after the US and China and the fourth most powerful bloc after the US, China and the European Union in a new official US report.

The new global power line-up for 2010 also predicted that New Delhi's clout in the world will further rise by 2025, according to "Global Governance 2025" jointly issued by the National Intelligence Council (NIC) of the US and the European Union's Institute for Security Studies (EUISS).

Using the insights of a host of experts from Brazil, Russia, India and China, among others, and fictionalised scenarios, the report illustrates what could happen over the next 25 years in terms of global governance.

In 2010, the US tops the list of powerful countries/regions, accounting for nearly 22 percent of the global power.

The US is followed by China with European Union at 16 percent and India at eight percent. India is followed by Japan, Russia and Brazil with less than five percent each.

According to this international futures model, by 2025 the power of the US, EU, Japan and Russia will decline while that of China, India and Brazil will increase, even though there will be no change in this listing.

By 2025, the US will still be the most powerful country of the world, but it will have a little over 18 percent of the global power.

The US will be closely followed by China with 16 percent, European Union with 14 percent and India with 10 per cent.

"The growing number of issues on the international agenda, and their complexity, is outpacing the ability of international organisations and national governments to cope," the report warns.

This critical turning point includes issues of climate change, ethnic and regional conflicts, new technology, and the managing of natural resources.

The report also highlights the challenges proponents of effective global governance face.

On one hand, rapid globalization, economic and otherwise, has led to an intertwining of domestic politics and international issues and fuelled the need for more cooperation and more effective leadership.

But on the other hand, an increasingly multipolar world, often dominated by non-state actors, has put a snag in progress toward effectual global governance, it said.

India third most powerful nation: US report - The Times of India

This is a report by a think tank groups in the US and EU. It will be biased towards their viewpoint.

Should be taken with a pinch of salt I suppose.

news.outlookindia.com | India 3rd Most Powerful Nation as per New Global Lineup

Recognising India's growing clout in the world, an official US report on global governance here declared the country the fourth most powerful nation/bloc behind the US, China and the European Union.

The new global power lineup for 2010 compiling the world's most powerful countries/regions recognised India as the third most powerful country behind the US and China, and predicted that its clout as well as that of China and Brazil would further rise by 2025.

"Global Governance 2025" — a follow-on to the NIC's 2008 report – was jointly issued by the National Intelligence Council (NIC) of the powerful Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the European Union's Institute for Security Studies (EUISS).

In 2010, the US tops the list of powerful countries/regions, accounting for nearly 22 per cent of the global power.

The US is followed by China (more than 12 per cent), European Union (more than 16 per cent), India (nearly eight per cent), and less than five per cent each for Japan, Russia and Brazil.

According to this international futures model, by 2025 the power of the US, EU, Japan and Russia would decline while that of China, India and Brazil would increase, even though there would be no change in this listing.

By 2025, the United States would still be the most powerful country of the world, but it would have a little over 18 per cent of the global power.

The US would be closely followed by China (nearly 16 per cent), European Union (14 per cent) and India (10 per cent).

The report concludes that three effects of rapid globalisation are driving demands for more effective global governance -- economic interdependence, the interconnected nature of the challenges on the international agenda, and interwoven domestic and foreign challenges.

According to the 82-page report, more effective global governance is critical to addressing "threats such as ethnic conflicts, infectious diseases, and terrorism as well as a new generation of global challenges including climate change, energy security, food and water scarcity, international migration flows and new technologies," which are increasingly taking centre stage.

Complicating the prospects for effective global governance over the next 15 years, however, is the shift to a multi-polar world, particularly the shift in power towards non-state actors, it says.

"Diverse perspectives and suspicions about global governance, which is seen as a Western concept, will add to the difficulties of effectively mastering the growing number of challenges," the report's authors noted.

The report notes that the relative political and economic clout of many countries will shift by 2025, according to an International Futures model measuring GDP, defense spending, population, and technology for individual states.

In the report, the authors stress the importance of multilateral institutions, which "can deliver public goods that summits, non-state actors, and regional frameworks cannot supply," because "multiple and diverse governance frameworks, however flexible, probably are not going to be sufficient to keep pace with the looming number of transnational and global challenges absent extensive institutional reforms and innovations".

doesnt matter we still have a long way to go.i would rather prefer india to keep a low profile and solve the internal problems first rather than thinking anything else

Back
Top Bottom