What's new

New global lineup lists India as 3rd most powerful nation

Good going Indians!, a big turn around from a country thats top the world hunger chart and human developement index that on pal with some africian countries in 2009 to the 3rd place of Global lineup of world's most powerful one now ?:undecided:

"Incredible India", you leave me speechless!!:whistle:

Wow, Molawchai, you are really something, i really couldn't tell whether you were praising Indians or.....I guess i did underestimate you mate. :azn:
PS, and you got yourself a few thanks from Indians....:hang2:

we have actually never had a budget deficiency since 1950's and the surplus only gets bigger. we the big bad commies have a better financial record than capitalist USA.

As I always say those people are for a free market as long as it serves them.

Wow, Molawchai, you are really something, i really couldn't tell whether you were praising Indians or.....I guess i did underestimate you mate.
PS, and you got yourself a few thanks from Indians....

Basic sarcasm, Brotherhood. The Indians are just humoring him.

When was this? I've never read about it.QUOTE]

Here you go, i read it from here a while back;

Ladies and gentlemen, I am so happy to be invited to speak on China and the world economy. China’s economic development over the past 25 years has been a miracle. China has maintained a GDP growth rate of 9 percent for 25 years, and this is a rare case in the history of economic development of the world. Many people ask me about China’s economic development. What are the factors behind China’s fast economic development? I think it is a very sophisticated process. It seems to me that two major forces are driving this development. First is the economic reform policy China pursued since 1979. For a long time, China was a planned economy and had ups and downs. And during the Cultural Revolution in the late 1960s and 1970s, China’s economy was on the brink of bankruptcy
Speech: China and the World Economy

In fact, I think the key factor is the open integration with the world, while the so-called world, the past is actually controlled the West, so in 1972, China and the U.S. strategic policy of reconciliation is very great,full of innovative and courage.

In fact, I think the key factor is the open integration with the world, while the so-called world, the past is actually controlled the West, so in 1972, China and the U.S. strategic policy of reconciliation is very great,full of innovative and courage.

Prime example of realpolitik at work.

When Russia was still the USSR she was the primary enemy of China for much of the Cold War (starting from 1969) and this helped the United States tremendously. After a bit of research I was shocked by just how much military assistance that the U.S. gave to a Communist country. The Black Hawk helicopters (old news), the J-8 II (J-8 variant with side intakes, American pilots actually test flew them), a Jaguar tank that was later aborted... It is fair to say that the United States gave China the necessary headstart for military modernization.

When the USSR collapsed, however, China and Russia became best friends once more since the balance of power has shifted in America's favour. Interesting isn't it?

When Russia was still the USSR she was the primary enemy of China for much of the Cold War (starting from 1969) and this helped the United States tremendously. After a bit of research I was shocked by just how much military assistance that the U.S. gave to a Communist country. The Black Hawk helicopters (old news), the J-8 II (J-8 variant with side intakes, American pilots actually test flew them), a Jaguar tank that was later aborted... It is fair to say that the United States gave China the necessary headstart for military modernization.

When the USSR collapsed, however, China and Russia became best friends once more since the balance of power has shifted in America's favour. Interesting isn't it?

Decision is the Chairman Mao, in fact, the starting point for reform should be 1972, if not reconciliation with the West, we can not get the world. The so-called world, is actually unfair monopoly by the West. From this point of view, although China has also lost some things, but still worth it

WASHINGTON: Recognising India's growing clout in the world, an official US report on global governance here declared the country the fourth most powerful nation/bloc behind the US, China and the European Union.

The new global power lineup for 2010 compiling the world's most powerful countries/regions recognised India as the third most powerful country behind the US and China, and predicted that its clout as well as that of China and Brazil would further rise by 2025.

"Global Governance 2025" -- a follow-on to the NIC's 2008 report - was jointly issued by the National Intelligence Council (NIC) of the powerful Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the European Union's Institute for Security Studies (EUISS).

In 2010, the US tops the list of powerful countries/regions, accounting for nearly 22 per cent of the global power.

The US is followed by China (more than 12 per cent), European Union (more than 16 per cent), India (nearly eight per cent), and less than five per cent each for Japan, Russia and Brazil.

According to this international futures model, by 2025 the power of the US, EU, Japan and Russia would decline while that of China, India and Brazil would increase, even though there would be no change in this listing.

By 2025, the United States would still be the most powerful country of the world, but it would have a little over 18 per cent of the global power.

The US would be closely followed by China (nearly 16 per cent), European Union (14 per cent) and India (10 per cent).

The report concludes that three effects of rapid globalisation are driving demands for more effective global governance -- economic interdependence, the interconnected nature of the challenges on the international agenda, and interwoven domestic and foreign challenges.

According to the 82-page report, more effective global governance is critical to addressing "threats such as ethnic conflicts, infectious diseases, and terrorism as well as a new generation of global challenges including climate change, energy security, food and water scarcity, international migration flows and new technologies," which are increasingly taking centrestage.

Complicating the prospects for effective global governance over the next 15 years, however, is the shift to a multi-polar world, particularly the shift in power towards non-state actors, it says. :victory::victory::chilli:

Now, don't get carried away by these lists, in the past, they published numerous lists like that. Washington and the US media say and do whatever serves Washington's purpose, if it means saying that the world is flat so be it. Don't forget how Saddam was portrayed as ready to destroy the west in seconds! Before they do or say anything, they do a thorough research on what pricks and what pleases Washington's friends and foes; the principle is called "cutting the coat according to the cloth".

As long as we are singing American praises, I'd like share something I read about recently. America out of the 8 countries who plundered China at the end of Boxer war:angry: were the only ones that didn't take the loot and run. Instead they used the loot to setup universities in China and started the Boxer Rebellion Indemnity Scholarship Program, which would produce some of the brightest and most important Chinese scholars.

A number of prominent Chinese and Chinese Americans were beneficiaries of the Boxer Rebellion Indemnity Scholarship Program, including philosopher Hu Shih, Nobel Physics prizewinner Chen Ning Yang, mathematician Kai Lai Chung, linguist Yuen Ren Chao, and rocket scientist Tsien Hsue-shen

So I guess you can say that they were the least despicable amongst a den of thieves.

@ Siege I love to hear about the extent Americans helped with the J-8II.

The U.S. got very involved with China in what is known as the Peace Pearl program in 1986. The program was intended to upgrade the J-8II by giving the plane Westinghouse AN/APG-66(V) radar, 1553B MIL-STD data bus, fire-control computer, HUD, MFD, and U.S. made navigational systems and ejection seats. In 1989 China even sent two J-8IIs to the U.S. and they were flown by American test pilots (apparently the only good thing that had to say about it was good fuel efficiency). Unfortunately the June 4th incident occurred and the U.S. terminated all military exchange with China so technically they didn't contribute that much to the J-8. I included it as an example to demonstrate the length they were willing to go to assist a Communist country.

As long as we are singing American praises, I'd like share something I read about recently. America out of the 8 countries who plundered China at the end of Boxer war:angry: were the only ones that didn't take the loot and run. Instead they used the loot to setup universities in China and started the Boxer Rebellion Indemnity Scholarship Program, which would produce some of the brightest and most important Chinese scholars.

So I guess you can say that they were the least despicable amongst a den of thieves.

Indeed in her historical dealings with China, America has always been more enlightened and civilized than Europe. Even today surveys constantly show Americans being more friendly toward China than Europeans.

Just a friendly advice to Indians, be aware of something like the "G2" boogie trap from the mighty Americans in the coming future....:azn:

@Cardsharp
Can you send details about this war. Never heard about this before and interested to know. I thought China was looted by Europeans during Opium wars but don't know anything about this one.

Indeed in her historical dealings with China, America has always been more enlightened and civilized than Europe. Even today surveys constantly show Americans being more friendly toward China than Europeans.

The French bloody hates us according to the pew poll, but then they hate anyone who isn't French and start their day with baguette. :rolleyes:

@Cardsharp
Can you send details about this war. Never heard about this before and interested to know. I thought China was looted by Europeans during Opium wars but don't know anything about this one.

Ahhh you see, the Boxers was a anti-foreigner anti-missionary spiritual movement in the late 1800's. They killed a couple of Christian Missionaries and with the tacit encouragement of the Qing government besieged the foreign concession in Beijing. The siege was broken after a few weeks and the 8 nations relief force that defeated the boxers promptly sack the beautiful summer palace in Beijing and demanded a billizion dollars in reparations (the indemnity I mentioned above.)

One of the most poignant memory I had as a child growing up in Beijing was seeing the rain pot in the forbidden city and being told the scrap marks came from the bayonets of foreign soldiers trying scrap off the gold.

goldvats2.jpg

Here are some pictures of the restored summer palace

Summer-Palace-Beijing-China-27.jpg

Yi_He_Yuan_-_A._Holdrinet.jpg

100_0410.JPG

Bridge17span.jpg

Here are some drawings of the burnt part that was never restored.

Looting_of_the_Yuan_Ming_Yuan_by_Anglo_French_forces_in_1860.jpg

more pics at the bottom of wiki page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Palace

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom