What's new

New Delhi Seeks Heavy Machine Guns For F-INSAS

Justin Joseph

Reaction score
New Delhi Seeks Heavy Machine Guns For F-INSAS

NEW DELHI - The Indian Army is seeking heavy machine guns as part of its multibillion-dollar Future Infantry Soldier as a System (F-INSAS) program, which aims to give infantry soldiers modern weapons and gear.

One Army official said the service wants to move quickly on the purchase.

Among the requirements for the guns:

Tripod-mounted.

Effective range of more than 2,000 meters.

Fire more than 450 rounds per minute.

Be rugged enough for use in high-altitude, jungle and desert conditions.

The Army requires the weapon to be able to fire a variety of ammunition, including high explosive incendiary, armor-piercing high explosive and armor-piercing discarding-sabot rounds.

Indian infantry troops are currently armed with assault rifles, antitank guided missiles, light and medium machine guns, rockets and grenade launchers, the official said.

The Army should have bought the machine guns a long time ago, said defense analyst Mahindra Singh, a retired Army major general.

Singh said the F-INSAS project also should be speeded up so that the country's 1.3 million soldiers are better equipped with advanced weapons and equipment.

Other F-INSAS Gear

The Army is finalizing requirements for gear it needs for the F-INSAS project, and plans to seek domestic and global bids in the next year.

Among the arms and gear to be purchased for F-INSAS are advanced anti-tank guided missile launchers and thermal sights for them, bullet-proof vehicles, anti-materiel rifles, new-generation carbines, battle surveillance radars, ground sensors, secure communication systems, precision-guided ammunition and laser range finders.

Clothing items include lightweight clothing, bulletproof jackets and protective gear for nuclear, biological and chemical agents.

New Delhi Seeks Heavy Machine Guns For F-INSAS - Defense News

The Army better live up to its claim in this one.

It made a mess of the whole Arjun issue and the artillery procurement.
Which are are both finally making progress , which is more than can be said for before.

I am especially interested in welcoming the new ,

Clothing items include lightweight clothing, bulletproof jackets and protective gear for nuclear, biological and chemical agents.

Our stuff is aged in this regard.

Lets see what's to come.

A little preview .

Our most equipped , strike groups

Indian_Army_Gurkha_rifles-723774.jpg

What to expect

Our COIN operators and paramilitary

Indian_army_soldier_combat_uniform_India_001.jpg

What to expect

Examples from around the world.

The goal

Also don't try to draw any comparison to the US programmes' their thing is way out of budget

lol

Land warrior

Air warrior

Last edited:
any one knows these guys belong to which battalion..?
and apart from this particular image i never seen such camo for any units :coffee:

JAI MAHAKALI... AAYO GORKHALI...

These are from Gorkha regiment if I am not wrong.

good going for IA

if we see our airforce and navy is modernizing in a good time like
1:Nuclear sub marine for navy
2:Mig 29 k squadron along with one AC and 1 is under construction
3:for AF MMRCA is waiting
4:sign for 5th Gen fighter
5:more AWACS...

Also don't try to draw any comparison to the US programmes' their thing is way out of budget

why cant we sir....?
because am not seeing any kind of all out war that will use our airforce and navy , because once that situation reaches it will end with nuclear calamity for sure [thanks to our neighbour for their first to use policy]

i can expect only proxy wars and at maximum kargil like misadventures from our neighbour , so who is going to fight for us it defenetly not AF and navy it will be our army..... in that case

1:are we going to fight with our artillery that purchased in 80s..?
2:still our army is going to carry 10kg Bullet prrof jackets in the mountains.?
3:are we going to use our INSAS as primary weapon in our future....?
4:are we going to use the same old mortar that used in WW2..?

still our MOD dont have a clear roadmap for our army modernization...

i know FINSAS is coming , but i can not see any improvements and deadline for that project

Sorry for going Offtopic...just my thoughts

Last edited:
JAI MAHAKALI... AAYO GORKHALI...

These are from Gorkha regiment if I am not wrong.

yes defenetly they are from gurkha regiment....
but we can see many other gurkha soldiers with different camo ..

The Army better live up to its claim in this one.

It made a mess of the whole Arjun issue and the artillery procurement.
Which are are both finally making progress , which is more than can be said for before.

I am especially interested in welcoming the new ,

Our stuff is aged in this regard.

Lets see what's to come.

A little preview .

Our most equipped , strike groups

Indian_Army_Gurkha_rifles-723774.jpg

All those equipments in the above pic have nothing to do with modern soldier's gears. All of them are just training equipments. This pic is from a joint Indo-US exercise some where in US.

And wrt to rest of the future soldier programmes from the world, India's F-INSAS programme is very advanced and futuristic as well.

lol
/AW_right.jpg[/IMG]

Why you think like that? F-INSAS is very similar to US Land Warrior.

Need to work hard to reach at that level:cheers:

All of these systems are underway for F-INSAS as well by 2012/13 we will see vast number of Indian soldiers with such gadgets and by 2020 all the soldiers, though I am expecting two to three years of delay. Atleast two futuristic rifles also under development for F-INSAS programme.

Last edited:
expect at lease 10 yrs. delay on this program...indian army is the most corrupt and slow paced part of armed forces..

expect at lease 10 yrs. delay on this program...indian army is the most corrupt and slow paced part of armed forces..

Agreed!! They are far behind IN and IAF in terms of technology and weapon systems. Though this F-INSAS will shift the IA into a different league all together. I think its more important than $11 billion MRCA deal. There are nearly 1000 different systems and sub-systems under development for the F-INSAS but money allowed is very less compared to other international projects.... classical desi mentality... wants the best with least money... :rolleyes:

these equipments look really amazing and the F-INSAS will surely benefit our soldiers...I belive even the CRPF should be trained and equipped in such a manner (I dont know if that is already planned) so that it helps them in the operations like green hunt againsta the naxals.

Back
Top Bottom