What's new

New combat aircraft will turn India into global giant: US expert

bhagat

Reaction score
WASHINGTON: India's acquisition of 126 new medium multi-role combat aircraft will play an essential role in India's transformation from a regional power to a global giant , according to a South Asia expert.

Eight countries and six companies eagerly await the Indian Air Force's selection of a new medium multi-role combat aircraft.

The winner of the competition for the $10 billion deal will also gain a toehold in a lucrative market, writes Ashley J. Tellis, a senior associate at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, a Washington think tank, in a paper.

Analysing the technical and political factors India must consider in awarding the contract, Tellis argues that India needs to decide quickly, avoid splitting the purchase between competitors, and buy the "best" aircraft to help India prepare for future security competition in Southern Asia.

Challenges to India's national security are increasingly complex, he says while noting, "India's air force levels have reached an all-time low due to delays in its defence procurement process, accidents, and retirements of older aircraft. Meanwhile, China and Pakistan are aggressively modernising their forces."

European aircraft are technically superb, but US entrants are formidable "best buys", writes Tellis, who was intimately involved in the negotiations associated with the US-India civil nuclear agreement as an advisor in the Bush administration.

"Unfortunately, the advantages in the US fighters are not sufficiently recognised, so if Washington wants an American aircraft to win the game, it must offer generous terms on the transfer of technology, assure India access to fifth-generation US combat aircraft, and support India's strategic ambitions."

India also needs to consider its future force structure in making its decision, states Tellis, suggesting, "With combat aviation technology rapidly evolving, the Indian government should select the least expensive, most mature, combat-proven fourth-generation fighter as a bridge to procuring more advanced stealth aircraft in the future."

"In making its decision, India's government must keep the India air force's interests consistently front and centre to ensure that its ultimate choice of aircraft is the best one for the service."

"This will not only help India to strengthen its combat capabilities in the coming years, but position it as a rising global power worthy of respect far into the future," he says.

Last edited:
US doing makhan bazi stuff in hope of selling its aircraft

With the upgrades and procurement plans India has for her Armed Forces, if executed properly(which appears she is) will make India into a very serious military power.

This US Expert makes an excellent point and i don't believe it has anything to do with 'Makhan Bazi', its blunt truth.

atleast these jets will be able to cover one border whether it is of pakistan or china.

modern military doesnt alone guarrenty global power. one has to achieve economic and social progress of that.

also, we need to have state of the art indegenous technology.

oh! Yea i can see that you opened a thread !!now what ??? Derailment of thread is nt needed mate ..

buddy , this is funny how - some jackarse try to show india is great and going guns blazing.

and yeh i am just point finger at the truth - india is nothing but a big hype.

the truth is people are still suffering a disease called life here.

go out on the street and see it for yur self - just see the first 5 people you see out on the street .

and i am promising you will see the truth - and i know u must be lviign i nthe big city -since u talk big and got acess to intenret and electricity.

but still - i bet the truth will be known. now imagine the small villages in middle of nowhere.

Well i dont want to see either f16 or f18 american tech is good but comes up with its restrictions both aircrafts design are old now i hope gripen or raffel wins with full tot new design less or no restriction

buddy , this is funny how - some jackarse try to show india is great and going guns blazing.

go out on the street and see it for yur self - just see the first 5 people you see out on the street .

and i am promising you will see the truth - and i know u must be lviign i nthe big city -since u talk big and got acess to intenret and electricity.

but still - i bet the truth will be known. now imagine the small villages in middle of nowhere.

i think author is trying to say about miltary power.

Why so much of hate mate:what:

Why so much of hate mate:what:

hate against the system not the country.

neither the people.

i think these hype help government cast propaganda to its people and country.

need to keep distance from them. People need to realize the truth and then hit the hammer .

That is why i said lil knowledge is bad arse for anyone ,you know who am i ,personally ?? Well how many toes and fingerz u got buddy ?? Watever you got ,i visited so many cities and district ,and am in mumbai because i got campus here.. Btw am from assam and i love to visit my countryside and i seen many dumbarse than you..So Plz shut your mouth and stick to thread title ok.

That is why i said lil knowledge is bad arse for anyone ,you know who am i ,personally ?? Well how many toes and fingerz u got buddy ?? Watever you got ,i visited so many cities and district ,and am in mumbai because i got campus here.. Btw am from assam and i love to visit my countryside and i seen many dumbarse than you..So Plz shut your mouth and stick to thread title ok.

you need to learn how to be on a forum and keep my 6 toes in your mouth they will keep you shut,

Back
Top Bottom