What's new

New border troops to counter China

I find the Raising of Arunachal and Sikkim battalions to be of even more significance than that of the raising of these two divisions (which is quite significant ).

imho this serves a two pronged strategy

1# No one knows a local terrain/culture better than the people who live there.

2# People always fight the hardest for the sake of their kith and kin. Even though an Army as a nation fights for the country; when one's own home is "literally" on the line; people would definitely fight the hardest.

The raising of the Arunachal and Sikkim units would fulfill both of these requirements. Furthermore; they could also act as stay-behind forces or units which can melt into the populace to infiltrate enemy lines.

Even though the modern trend in Huge armies is to have mixed units; (( One of the reason the practice of having local units like say..the "Lancashire rifles" went out of favor in most western nations is that when one of those units got mauled in war..it would mean that there will be a lot of coffins coming to a town/village....and might affect the morale of the people .)) I believe that for specialized cases like these; where a specific territory is a known target; its safe to raise specialized units (in the sense units made up of locals from those regions).

Similar units were used with great success during ww2 as well, especially in Occupied/liberated Europe, not to mention the SEA islands and jungles.

People might not understand some far-fetched idea..but they can always relate to defending one's own land. As in Macaulay's poem about Horatius

"
[[XXVI

But the Consul's brow was sad,
And the Consul's speech was low,
And darkly looked he at the wall,
And darkly at the foe.
``Their van will be upon us
Before the bridge goes down;
And if they once may win the bridge,
What hope to save the town?''

XXVII

Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
``To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods,

XXVIII

``And for the tender mother
Who dandled him to rest,
And for the wife who nurses
His baby at her breast,

And for the holy maidens
Who feed the eternal flame
To save them from false Sextus
That wrought the deed of shame?

XXIX

``Haul down the bridge, Sir Consul,
With all the speed ye may;
I, with two more to help me,
Will hold the foe in play.
In yon strait path a thousand
May well be stopped by three.
Now who will stand on either hand,
And keep the bridge with me?'' ]]

Further; this would probably bring a lot of much needed employment to those places and would result in a win-win for both the military and the local population.

Last edited:
That's why smarty, specially for china:

a.) India is buying M777 the world's lightest, deadliest and battle proven howitzer from USA.

M777_Afghan_2007.jpg

b.) Purchased 6 nos. of C-130 Super Hercules Transport and will be odering 6 more.

Army-Stryker-Infantry-Carrier-Vehicle-is-driven-onto-a-C-5-Galaxy.JPG

c.) Purchased 10 nos. of Boeing C-17 Globemaster III is a large military transport aircraft. Will be ordering 6 more.

C-17_Globemaster_III_4.jpg

d.) Purchasing Boeing CH-47 Chinook military transport helicopter which can carry howitzers to border.

Afgh-Chinook-airlift.jpg

e.) MMRCA to buy 126 advance fighter aircraft like Eurofighter Typhoon/F 18 Super Hornet/Dassault Rafale.

f.) F-INSAS, in fact, wants to transform soldiers into self-contained, fully-networked, mobile killing machines, with a high degree of `situational awareness' and capable of operating in all-terrain and all-weather conditions.

Under it, infantry soldiers are to be progressively equipped with light-weight integrated ballistic helmets with `heads-up display' and miniaturised communication systems; portable visual, chemical and biological sensors; hand-held computer displays, GPS and video links; and of course lethal firepower with laser-guided modular weapon systems.

The 1.13-million strong Army is now on course to ink three deals for 3,90,000 new-generation carbines and assault rifles.

Conclusion: Never rush to any conclusion in hurry and also never underestimate your opponent. :wave:
Sure never rush to any conclusion and never underestimate your opponent which it seems you are doing now.Have you ever given any thought if usa stops supplies during war time under chinese pressure then with wat you will fight.Learn from pakistan experience...never trust usa .

I just hope that America will be able to pay back some of its debt after selling so many weapons to India... :D

I am agree with you because US needs a crazy country where he can dump its iron ore with profit so he has found. :rofl::lol:

I just hope that America will be able to pay back some of its debt after selling so many weapons to India... :D

Cost of peace implementation is far less than cost of weapons bought for war.

But to understand this there will need a mature and intellectual mind rather than aggressive, conservative, human less & extremists.

I am agree with you because US needs a crazy country where he can dump its iron ore with profit so he has found. :rofl::lol:

Isnt China modernizing their forces too? Whats the big deal when India does the same? Know it has money, and can spend on the military like never before.

Your nation's military spending is higher then India when comparing the % with its GDP.

Last edited:
Well US thought it could hand over its good stuff to us as in pure-business terms and also allow ease on hi-tech equipment (DRDO and ISRO are off entity list), rather than dumping free weapons in a place which is fighting a 2-sided war.

Every exchange is a mutual benefit man. It wasn't so in your case I can more than understand.

while china may not attach India, the same cannot be said for the latter who may seek an adventure out of its supremacist mentality and fueled by its rising status ego part of which is supported by American crutches.

while china may not attach India, the same cannot be said for the latter who may seek an adventure out of its supremacist mentality and fueled by its rising status ego part of which is supported by American crutches.
Well then we can say that we do have something in common with you guys isn't it? After all, you took the US crutch once and tried the same game with us :lol:.

Calm down. Our buildup is defensive. PLA is advancing at a far faster rate and hence we have to keep minimum deterrence. You won't believe me because you owe your allegiance to Chinese now after a 4 decade-breakup with USA.

d.) Purchasing Boeing CH-47 Chinook military transport helicopter which can carry howitzers to border.

Can you cite me some source for this? I don't think that we would buy something totally alien considering that Mi-26 has been our mainstay heavy helo and it can carry way more than a Chinook can.

India or China will not attack each other. Too much stake on either side. It would be detrimental for both the developing nations. More to China as it is more developed than India at this point of time. India purchased few weapons, need to deploy in either western border or northern border. What is the big deal here?

Strong army on both sides keeps peace because the cost of conflict for both is high irrespective of the offender.

Again WWI, Europe thought if everyone was allied with everyone, the price of war would be too high.

Military buildup bad period. What is especially strange is unlike the arms race of WWI between Germany and UK, it is just Indians racing against its own media.

Back
Top Bottom