What's new

Nawaz wants to regulate army’s role in policy making

Gryphon

Reaction score
the-not-so-Sharif-Nawaz-450x238.jpg

ISLAMABAD - Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif wants to regulate the military’s role in the policy making process of the country, the media said on Tuesday, quoting leaked documents.

According to the leaked Proposed-Counter-Terrorism-Strategy-Document, the PML-N government in Pakistan wants to establish National Counter Terrorism Force (NCTF) and National Counter Insurgency Force (NCIF) with powers of intelligence and law enforcement, a British-based news website reported.

High-ups in Pakistan’s capital believe that army is on the same page about intelligence sharing and tackling terrorism with the civilian leadership.

Current problems demand close and quick decisions with mutual understanding from political and military leadership, but no mechanism is available to do so, the report said.

“The government in Pakistan believes that the country is facing peculiar circumstances, the elements resorting to insurgency in FATA are also carrying out terrorism in urban centers of Pakistan. They have sympathisers, facilitators, sleeper agents and activists across the country,” it added.

“It seems that many factors will continue to enable terrorist groups to grow and to survive: sectarianism and religious extremism including spillover of violence from Afghanistan, presence of foreign militants and their sympathisers in Pakistan, weak control over mullah, mosque and madrassa, radicalization, economic disparity, weak writ of the government and absence of security policy/counter terrorism strategy,” the document further said.

The Pakistan Army leadership has given assurance to the elected government about developing the system on national level to control the situation, it said.

“To counter terrorism in the country, the army is ready to share the experience and to assist the civilian setup,” said report.

“Surveillance and support network is a need of time to maintain a constant operational surveillance over the wide spectrum of civil society in order to prevent terrorist and extremist networks from developing in Pakistan,” the document stated.

Nawaz wants to regulate army’s role in policy making

So what do you propose? That a civilian government must not but the COAS should form the policies.

One step at a time. With our nascent democracy. it is best if the civilians leave foreign and defense policy to the professionals and concentrate on getting the economy going again. Improving governance should come next. Once those basics are settled, then they can think of these areas, may be in 20-25 years or so, if they work well.

I would say a very good move only if they withhold its powers and keep it clean from politics unlike IB and FIA

One step at a time. With our nascent democracy. it is best if the civilians leave foreign and defense policy to the professionals

Guess what...Nawaz has kept both foreign and defense ministries with himself!!!

Guess what...Nawaz has kept both foreign and defense ministries with himself!!!

That is good in name only, as long as he rubber stamps what he is told in these two crucial areas. Naam uss kaa, faisla kissi aur kaa. That would be a pragmatical thing to accept.

Some people never learn. Honestly! Who does NS think he is? The COAS?

he is the Premier of Pakistan, in premier's office the constitution as well as the people of Pakistan have entrusted power, he has full right to dictate whatever policy he wants to formulate, nothing less than that is acceptable... :angry:

p.s. army's role is to formulate strategies and proposals for the relevant department/committee/office to make decisions.

he is the Premier of Pakistan, in premier's office the constitution as well as the people of Pakistan have entrusted power, he has full right to dictate whatever policy he wants to formulate, nothing less than that is acceptable... :angry:

Bikul theek. That is Theory. I am talking about Practical. Har imtihaan key do hissay hotey hein.

Bikul theek. That is Theory. I am talking about Practical. Har imtihaan key do hissay hotey hein.

you cannot just dump your own short comings by saying that this is theory, this is LAW, stand for what is right.

and what exactly is your point that in practice this is not possible?

Well, just like the UK driving test.. most do the theory pretty quick but fail the practical because they try it out in big cities like London or Manchester.. The trick is to do the practical in a small town with little traffic. Once you pass that, you can drive all over the UK. If, you know what I mean.

Well, just like the UK driving test.. most do the theory pretty quick but fail the practical because they try it out in big cities like London or Manchester.. The trick is to do the practical in a small town with little traffic. Once you pass that, you can drive all over the UK. If, you know what I mean.

I think it is more like NS driving an left-hand-drive 18 wheeler through Central London in rush hour for a driving test after landing straight at Heathrow airport when it comes to NS and defense or foreign policy. This can only end in an accident.

I would have thought the Sharif's would have more sense than that.

He was just sworn in. I thought he would first consolidate his position, appoint his bureaucrats and people in key positions, try to get some army corps commanders support.

Then build up a huge frenzy around him regarding some event or action that he has taken. Anything which would make Pakistani's rally around him for a cause - however short term...

and use that period to pass laws which would cut the Army down to its constitutional role.

I would have thought the Sharif's would have more sense than that.

He was just sworn in. I thought he would first consolidate his position, appoint his bureaucrats and people in key positions, try to get some army corps commanders support.

Then build up a huge frenzy around him regarding some event or action that he has taken. Anything which would make Pakistani's rally around him for a cause - however short term...

and use that period to pass laws which would cut the Army down to its constitutional role.

This is the man whose first query at any meeting at a hotel is "Tikka".. so I would not give him that much credit. He has gotten wiser but there is a limit to how wise he will get. He does have his beef with the Army and more so because to him the idea of being seen as the one who reels in the establishment is more important than the implementation of it.

Back
Top Bottom