What's new

Nawaz to leave for Iran on May 11 ISLAMABAD

Sharif's trip has already been dismissed as a failure:

Visit To Iran
May 12, 2014

visiting Iran, in a bid to improve ties between the two countries. The past year has been fraught with issues between the neighbors, starting with Pakistan’s lack of initiative regarding the Iran-Pak gas pipeline and Iran’s repeated requests to Pakistan to increase border security on its side of the border, an issue which escalated tensions between the two allies when five border guards were abducted from Iran and brought to Pakistan in February. Abdul Malik Baloch, the Chief Minister of Balochistan is accompanying the Prime Minister on the trip across the border, but given the fact that border security on the West is handled by the Frontier Corps and the army, Baloch’s commitment to improve border security in Balochistan may not be enough to appease Iran.

The current regime had promised to continue work on the IP pipeline if they won in the elections, but they neglected to do so when they came into power, making excuse after excuse, from blaming it on US sanctions on Iran and even asking Iran to fund the whole project, citing lack of funds as the biggest obstacle. The $1.5 billion ‘gift’ from Saudi Arabia seemed to be the final nail in the coffin for the project, however, on this visit to Tehran, Nawaz has reiterated his commitment to the pipeline once more. The deadline for the completion of the project on the 31st of December looming ever closer, Iran has even offered to waive the daily fine of $3 million which will be implemented starting the 1st of January if the pipeline is not complete.

The PML-N’s election campaign was focused on improving ties with neighboring countries as well as increasing trading opportunities closest to home, but in this matter, they have failed in both the East and West. In the North, China remains our friend and closest ally but the current government does not deserve the credit for that. Towards the East, Pakistan has been unable to increase trade with India, and the cancellation of the visas of the two Indian journalists is not really going to boost relations between the two countries. And on the West, the presidential elections in Afghanistan are not likely to bring in a new leader that will be favourable towards Pakistan. Iran and Rouhani are the last hope for Nawaz Sharif to fulfil his commitment of improving regional ties. He must now prove that his words carry some practical weight as well.

Nawaz visits Imam Reza tomb in Mashhad, what it means for wahhabis?

How about putting up some pictures, Mates....

Who cares about pictures? Sharif basically got a grilling from Rouhani, Rafsanjani and Khamenei to complete the I-P pipeline and to not allow foreign countries to pressure or buy-off Pakistan from completeing its contractual obligations with Iran.

Sharif also got given a warning on not disturbing the peace in Afghanistan when NATO forces pull out, and was told that Pakistan is obliged to establish security along its border with Iran. Several new MoU's to this affect were signed, such as tackling cross-border terrorism, drugs trafficking, money laundering and smuggling.

Thats basically all there was to his visit, and i can just about guarantee that despite the warnings he was given and the MoU's signed, nothing will actually change or progress on these fronts in reality. Saudi Arabia has already bought Sharif off the I-P pipeline and Pakistan is not going to do anything about cross-border crime and terrorism.

So yeah, a waste of everybody's time.

Nawaz visits Imam Reza tomb in Mashhad, what it means for wahhabis?

Nothing. Its a formality that he was obliged to do out of diplomatic courtesy.

Who cares about pictures? Sharif basically got a grilling from Rouhani, Rafsanjani and Khamenei to complete the I-P pipeline and to not allow foreign countries to pressure or buy-off Pakistan from completeing its contractual obligations with Iran.

Sharif also got given a warning on not disturbing the peace in Afghanistan when NATO forces pull out, and was told that Pakistan is obliged to establish security along its border with Iran. Several new MoU's to this affect were signed, such as tackling cross-border terrorism, drugs trafficking, money laundering and smuggling.

Thats basically all there was to his visit, and i can just about guarantee that despite the warnings he was given and the MoU's signed, nothing will actually change or progress on these fronts in reality. Saudi Arabia has already bought Sharif off the I-P pipeline and Pakistan is not going to do anything about cross-border crime and terrorism.

So if you are not interested in having relations with Pakistan , why you offend us on our Forum. No one invited your kind here. Have you no shame ?

Mod Edit

Last edited by a moderator:

No 'warning' was given to anyone, if you think otherwise you can provide a source for your claim. This visit is aimed to resolve recent tensions in relations and cooperating in border security matters. We should wish this time it bears fruits.

Some pics of the visit:

13930221163633719_PhotoL.jpg

13930221163654265_PhotoL.jpg

13930221163638383_PhotoL.jpg

13930222141029806_PhotoL.jpg

13930222141042287_PhotoL.jpg

Well i would rather want a source for

*Iranian Leadership warning for completing IP pipeline
*Iranian Leadership 2nd warning for not to disturb peace in Afghanistan
*Iranian Leadership 3rd warning to establish security on border betwean pak-iran.

anyway on TOPIC:

I don't care about anything else but i want the Pipe line to be completed at all cost.

No 'warning' was given to anyone, if you think otherwise you can provide a source for your claim.

Sharif was basically warned off Afghanistan in his meeting with Rafsanjani and was practically grilled over the I-P pipeline and border security by Khamenei, Rafsanjani and Rouhani. Of course, it is not going to be reported so bluntly in that way. But that is clearly the nuance in the reports and in the nature of the MoU's that were signed, the majority of them to do with illegal cross-border issues (crime and terrorism). And they were only MoU's, no actual agreements or pacts were signed so dont expect anything to change from this meeting. MoU's are not binding.

Back
Top Bottom