What's new

Nawaz speaks English during Press conference with PM Erdogan

I think some people look at it wrong. The world already assumes one can speak their native language. Being able to fluently speak at least two languages, particularly when one of them is so different than your first language, projects intelligence.

You would never catch me calling anyone on this forum "dumb" or "stupid", since reading and conversing in an auxiliary language is impressive to say the least.

Practically, when speaking at a press conference, you want to use the language that will spread your message the most effectively.
Agreed!

I think some people look at it wrong. The world already assumes one can speak their native language. Being able to fluently speak at least two languages, particularly when one of them is so different than your first language, projects intelligence.

You would never catch me calling anyone on this forum "dumb" or "stupid", since reading and conversing in an auxiliary language is impressive to say the least.

Practically, when speaking at a press conference, you want to use the language that will spread your message the most effectively.

It's not a question of intelligence but national pride. The leaders of France, Germany, China, Russia do not speak in English, and its not due to lack of intelligence.

However, I agree with @FunkyGen that Pakistan has far more important things for its leaders to address before worrying about this.

It's not a question of intelligence but national pride. The leaders of France, Germany, China, Russia do not speak in English, and its not due to lack of intelligence.

However, I agree with @FunkyGen that Pakistan has far more important things for its leaders to address before worrying about this.

I think it depends on who the audience is, and if your auxiliary language is clear enough to pull it off.

If the intended recipient of your message is the international community at large, English is a far more effective vehicle for that message currently. It may make your domestic population feel pride, but nobody else in the world looks down on someone for speaking English.

1.You don't hear PM Erdogan speaking English and he has more power and influence in regional and international politics than PM Nawaz Sharif. Clearly, you're false attribution that speaking English equates to power is foolish.

2.Did translation of PM Erdogan's speech bring his down voice? Not at all, what nonsense. The fact he spoke his national language is a statement of how the Turks value their language.

3.It's not an international event it is an event between two heads of states only. One speaks the language of his country the other does not.

Ok, Lets discuss it,

1. PM Erdogan has power of course, but the power can be more strengthen if he uses English (in international event). Even he doesn't use it when he was interviewed by CNN or in any International event he attended, like in Davos World Economy Forum where he left the debate because getting angry with the Israeli comments.

2. Yes, he does, for the Non-Turkish people, because his messages is conveyed by the translator. My message is clear, Try to embrace Muslim people heart, if some one wants to improve his influence in the Muslim world.

3. Ok. You are right at this, but if the event has huge coverage and very important that makes all of the world TV stations come, it is better to use English.

I think it depends on who the audience is, and if your auxiliary language is clear enough to pull it off.

If the intended recipient of your message is the international community at large, English is a far more effective vehicle for that message currently. It may make your domestic population feel pride, but nobody else in the world looks down on someone for speaking English.

This has nothing to do with the "international community" this was a conference between two head of states addressing their nations. You don't see French Presidents, German PMs, Italian PMs, when they visit US or UK speaking English, they speak their own languages and that sets a difference.

nigeria got more population then your country who speak english !

he spoke English so people could understand !
Have you by any chance heard their English...Its a mixture not everyone can decode it :agree:

Yaar modi wants to speak Sanskrit why are we trying to go to that? :unsure: isnt it good he made an attempt to English? At least we know he can stand on the world stage :agree:

This has nothing to do with the "international community" this was a conference between two head of states addressing their nations. You don't see French Presidents, German PMs, Italian PMs, when they visit US or UK speaking English, they speak their own languages and that sets a difference.

From what I am reading, English is the official language in Pakistan. Is that the case? I'm genuinely curious.

I hear foreign officials speak English constantly. Well maybe not the French, but that's to be expected.

From what I am reading, English is the official language in Pakistan. Is that the case? I'm genuinely curious.

I hear foreign officials speak English constantly. Well maybe not the French, but that's to be expected.

well, you have the "Obama was not born in America" ones.. those that take exception to his middle name.. so you have to excuse the on and off pointless political shenanigans whole sole purpose is to find some bone rather than look at actual issues.

well, you have the "Obama was not born in America" ones.. those that take exception to his middle name.. so you have to excuse the on and off pointless political shenanigans whole sole purpose is to find some bone rather than look at actual issues.

Oh come on you're just pissed because this exposes your own inability to speak saleees Urdu ! :p:

Who translates 'tateeel' as 'cheeeel numaa paraindaa' instead of 'holdiay' ! :bunny:

Oh come on you're just pissed because this exposes your own inability to speak saleees Urdu ! :p:

Who translates 'tateeel' as 'cheeeel numaa paraindaa' instead of 'holdiay' ! :bunny:

Said the man who speaks bad Punjabi.. and even worse Kashmiri.... and continues to deny his Bhattist Sanskrit origins.

Said the man who speaks bad Punjabi.. and even worse Kashmiri.... and continues to deny his Bhattist Sanskrit origins.

My Punjabi is fine ! :angry:

Tis true I don't speak Kashmiri but then again there ain't anything called Kashmiri; its Koshur ! :bunny:

My Bhattist origins ? :o:

I'm Butt not a Bhatt ! :pissed:

My Punjabi is fine ! :angry:

Tis true I don't speak Kashmiri but then again there ain't anything called Kashmiri; its Koshur ! :bunny:

My Bhattist origins ? :o:

I'm Butt not a Bhatt ! :pissed:

Dont deny it Bhatta.. you cant hide behind the semantics of Kushur .. Sanskrit is in your blood.. as in your name.

Dont deny it Bhatta.. you cant hide behind the semantics of Kushur .. Sanskrit is in your blood.. as in your name.

I went multinlingual a few centuries back before switching over to Rekhtaaa hence I'm now Butt not Bhatta, you self-righteous Bihari Bun Kebab ! :angry: :lol:

I went multinlingual a few centuries back before switching over to Rekhtaaa hence I'm now Butt not Bhatta, you self-righteous Bihari Bun Kebab ! :angry: :lol:

Borrowing the words of Austin Powers when he saw the mole in Goldmember..:

"Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta,Bhatta!"

P.S

Bhatta!

I see no problem since English is the official language of Pakistan

What else?

Back
Top Bottom