What's new

Nawaz Sharif's passport to be cancelled on February 16: Sheikh Rashid

I want him to come back, but my opinion is of no consequence, it was the government of Pakistan that allowed him to leave, and then worked hard to make sure that UK authorities allow him entry. Now it's really up to him and the process in the UK on whether or when he returns. There really isn't much GoP can do to compel the UK authorities.
Seems a bit of a double standard vis-a-vis President Musharraf and PM Sharif.

there are no double standards. both get equal preferential treatment.

One for being born in Delhi.
Other for being a Kashmiri.

"They" were never one group of people or entity to begin, however you can broadly generalise "they" in to two camps. The first camp (PM included) did not want him to leave at all despite the perceived risks at the time, and now they want him back asap. The latter camp compelled the former to dump him elsewhere, and now he is out of reach and likely wont return unless he himself wills it.
Then why this hype of cancelling passpoart? Can somebody being compelled to travel without travel documents ?

So as not to veer too much into off topic matters, in response to what you pointed out as evident, I'll give you two quotes:

"For those in power, crimes are those that others commit." - Chomsky
"These contradictions are not accidental, nor do they result from ordinary hypocrisy: they are deliberate exercises in doublethink." - Orwell
Then why this hype of cancelling passpoart? Can somebody being compelled to travel without travel documents ?
IK wants him back, these and other moves + media narrative are mostly pressure tactics. They haven't been able to come up with a way of getting him back yet.

The question arises, Is the UK government willing to send Godfather back to Pakistan?

The Supreme Court of Pakistan’s Panama Case verdict on 28th July 2017, which resulted in disqualification of the now former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, has sparked a new controversy in the country. While many consider it to be a landmark judgment which has breathed new life into an ever-rotting system of accountability, there is also an opinion that disqualification of the Prime Minister on a petty issue has set a poor precedent and will haunt the nation in the years to come.

Leaving the legal argument aside, let us focus on some facts of the matter and analyse the different theories surrounding it. The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) in its report on the offshore assets of the Sharif family submitted a key document which confirmed that Nawaz Sharif was employed by Capital FZE as chairman of its board at a basic salary of AED 10,000 per month from August 6, 2006 to April 20, 2014. This document – a letter from Jebel Ali Free Zone Authority (JAFZA) dated July 4, 2017 – was not contested by the Sharif family or their lawyers. In fact it was argued that Nawaz Sharif took employment in his son’s firm merely to get the “iqama” which would facilitate him to travel in and out of UAE during the period of his exile. It is claimed that he did not actively participate in the company’s business and no salary was ever withdrawn.

There are two fundamental flaws in this defence:

• It takes an ordinary Pakistani citizen 1-3 days to be issued a visit visa for UAE based on sponsorship from a UAE resident, company or hotel. The application process is quite straightforward and should have been the same, if not easier, for a former Prime Minister of Pakistan who was in fact bailed outof serious corruption charges and rescued from possible sentences by the Gulf states, including UAE. On the other hand, to get the “iqama” or residence permit one needs to go to a local government hospital for a comprehensive medical checkup, and then provide the medical test results, salary certificate, tenancy agreement, documents verifying relationship between sponsor and applicant, etc. together with the application for residence permit. For an employee residence visa, as in Nawaz Sharif’s case, one also needs to open a local bank account and then continue to receive the salary in it as per the UAE labour laws. It is hard to comprehend why Nawaz Sharif felt the need to go through this longer and more inconvenient procedure in order to get a simple entry permit.

• There are several ways in which a residence visa for UAE can be obtained, depending on the applicant’s need. An employee residence visa is required for a person who has received an employment offer from a company based in UAE. Another way is to get the relative residence visa. A person who is a resident of UAE can sponsor his/her parents for this type of visa. This should have been the appropriate route for Nawaz Sharif if really a residence permit was required. The question then arises as to why he applied for an employment residence visa when the nature of his residence was not employment and a clear legal alternative was available. Is it not tantamount to deliberate misdeclaration in the residence visa application form?

Now let us consider another theory which suggests that politicians use the iqama for money laundering, i.e. to hide their ill-gotten wealth. Money made from unfair means is transferred from the country of origin to where they hold the iqama. It is then moved around the world as officially white money and eventually brought back into the home country in the form of overseas remittances. The justification given for this claim is that when there is further offshoring, i.e. funds are transferred from UAE to other countries (United Kingdom, Switzerland, Luxembourg etc. in this case), the relevant authorities in these countries will not be answerable to the home country in case of an investigation, as the accused would be a UAE resident.

Serving Pakistani prime minster holding work permit in UAE is priceless. You think Saudis Man cannot get a passport. Think Again.
I think and I hope I am wrong this is Establishment allowing Nawaz to travel to Saudi Again, but this time he is going to be a Saudi national. Pakistan cannot touch him.

Govt wants Nawaz to be deported back from UK so cancelation of Passport makes sense.

Musharraf does not have corruption charges against him. Secondly, Musharraf is bed-ridden and his PML-Q and politics are over with. Healthwise he is possibly on the last leg eventhough I wish him the best. Sharif is clearly well and conducting all sorts of politicking sitting in London and speaking against national institutions which actually have constitutional protection in the law from being maligned.

The scale of financial corruption done by Nawaz and family is unprecedented in the history of Pakistan although Zardari and ilk can challenge him on this "unprecedented" title.

Musharraf does not have corruption charges against him. Secondly, Musharraf is bed-ridden and his PML-Q and politics are over with. Healthwise he is possibly on the last leg eventhough I wish him the best. Sharif is clearly well and conducting all sorts of politicking sitting in London and speaking against national institutions which actually have constitutional protection in the law from being maligned.

The scale of financial corruption done by Nawaz and family is unprecedented in the history of Pakistan although Zardari and ilk can challenge him on this "unprecedented" title.
Also Musharraf is not a convicted criminal that ran away from jail.

The Supreme Court of Pakistan’s Panama Case verdict on 28th July 2017, which resulted in disqualification of the now former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, has sparked a new controversy in the country. While many consider it to be a landmark judgment which has breathed new life into an ever-rotting system of accountability, there is also an opinion that disqualification of the Prime Minister on a petty issue has set a poor precedent and will haunt the nation in the years to come.

Leaving the legal argument aside, let us focus on some facts of the matter and analyse the different theories surrounding it. The Joint Investigation Team (JIT) in its report on the offshore assets of the Sharif family submitted a key document which confirmed that Nawaz Sharif was employed by Capital FZE as chairman of its board at a basic salary of AED 10,000 per month from August 6, 2006 to April 20, 2014. This document – a letter from Jebel Ali Free Zone Authority (JAFZA) dated July 4, 2017 – was not contested by the Sharif family or their lawyers. In fact it was argued that Nawaz Sharif took employment in his son’s firm merely to get the “iqama” which would facilitate him to travel in and out of UAE during the period of his exile. It is claimed that he did not actively participate in the company’s business and no salary was ever withdrawn.

There are two fundamental flaws in this defence:

• It takes an ordinary Pakistani citizen 1-3 days to be issued a visit visa for UAE based on sponsorship from a UAE resident, company or hotel. The application process is quite straightforward and should have been the same, if not easier, for a former Prime Minister of Pakistan who was in fact bailed outof serious corruption charges and rescued from possible sentences by the Gulf states, including UAE. On the other hand, to get the “iqama” or residence permit one needs to go to a local government hospital for a comprehensive medical checkup, and then provide the medical test results, salary certificate, tenancy agreement, documents verifying relationship between sponsor and applicant, etc. together with the application for residence permit. For an employee residence visa, as in Nawaz Sharif’s case, one also needs to open a local bank account and then continue to receive the salary in it as per the UAE labour laws. It is hard to comprehend why Nawaz Sharif felt the need to go through this longer and more inconvenient procedure in order to get a simple entry permit.

• There are several ways in which a residence visa for UAE can be obtained, depending on the applicant’s need. An employee residence visa is required for a person who has received an employment offer from a company based in UAE. Another way is to get the relative residence visa. A person who is a resident of UAE can sponsor his/her parents for this type of visa. This should have been the appropriate route for Nawaz Sharif if really a residence permit was required. The question then arises as to why he applied for an employment residence visa when the nature of his residence was not employment and a clear legal alternative was available. Is it not tantamount to deliberate misdeclaration in the residence visa application form?

Now let us consider another theory which suggests that politicians use the iqama for money laundering, i.e. to hide their ill-gotten wealth. Money made from unfair means is transferred from the country of origin to where they hold the iqama. It is then moved around the world as officially white money and eventually brought back into the home country in the form of overseas remittances. The justification given for this claim is that when there is further offshoring, i.e. funds are transferred from UAE to other countries (United Kingdom, Switzerland, Luxembourg etc. in this case), the relevant authorities in these countries will not be answerable to the home country in case of an investigation, as the accused would be a UAE resident.

Serving Pakistani prime minster holding work permit in UAE is priceless. You think Saudis Man cannot get a passport. Think Again.
I think and I hope I am wrong this is Establishment allowing Nawaz to travel to Saudi Again, but this time he is going to be a Saudi national. Pakistan cannot touch him.

Saudis will NOT give him a Saudi passport. It sets a bad precedence for them. Nawaz-not-so-sharif means NOTHING to the Saudis. That is the truth.

He will apply for political asylum in UK and continue his Altaf Hussain like political Terrorism in Pakistan

Also Musharraf is not a convicted criminal that ran away from jail.
True, he dodged his case for years and ran away before he could ever go to jail, hallmark of a brave commando. :enjoy:

Also, I wasn’t aware that financial corruption is a crime worse than multiple examples of high treasons. And that one should be punishable, the other is okay. I thought both were bad.

A crime that has already happened is governments responsibility to hold people accountable to and for.

A crime that is happening is publics responsibility to highlight.

I think the process has been delayed. Supreme Court is now all set to open up proceedings on privatisation drive taken by this government where cabinet members and SAPMs were found guilty of nepotism and corruption.

Regime supporters should be the last to call people on deflections. The whole regime is a deflection from actual problems faced by the country.
let me rephrase it again. when will the hotel get sold and purchased by trumps? I know bongies and yahvian are a speciality in peepee and tooi party. I dont want yahvian. tell me when the hotel will be sold!

Saudis will NOT give him a Saudi passport. It sets a bad precedence for them. Nawaz-not-so-sharif means NOTHING to the Saudis. That is the truth.

Brother, do you remember the Saudi deal with Musharraf, he was supposed to stay out of politics and keep quiet for 10 years. If I remember correctly, he and the Saudis broke that deal.

Behind the scene not exactly a secret they have put immense pressure on PMIK to let him go to Saudia.
Just like Saudi puppet states have normalized relations with Israel, they can easily get him any passport from any of them or he can always buy passport lots of countries around the world sell it for dollars.

Back
Top Bottom