What's new

Navjot Singh Sidhu is being fired as the ICC threatens ESPN and Star Sports

if you went thru the 10 pages, you would know by now. anyways, he has compared bangladesh with cockroaches .

bro, don't take sidhu seriously, all he speak is B.S. all indians make fun of him as a commentator & analyst.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Scott Adams' blog, but this post is extremely pertinent to this case:

Analogies are Fighting Words - update

If I were to say that Elbonians and rats have something in common - specifically their love of cheese, would that be seen as an insult to Elbonians?

Answer: Yes. While the point of the analogy is extraordinarily clear, and limited to a love of cheese, most people would wonder why I chose rats for the comparison when mice would have worked just as well. Mice are not nearly as insulting as rats.

Suppose you didn't know that I had contemplated using rats in my analogy. Instead, all you heard me say is that Elbonians and mice have something in common - specifically their love of cheese. Would that be seen as an insult to Elbonians?

Answer: Yes. No one wants to be like a mouse, even in a way that happens to be true for just about all mammals. Who doesn't like cheese?

Analogies are fighting words. When I was younger and dumber I often used analogies to try and make my point. This strategy worked exactly zero times. When people hear analogies, it flips a switch in their brains that turns on the crazy. Even the simplest analogies fail when you use them in an attempt to persuade. And they fail every time.

With that said, there are two proper times to use analogies. One way is in the service of humor. Humor is all about activating the crazy part of the brain. If I say I witnessed more horrible things than Charlie Sheen's cat, your brain leaves your logical mode behind. The analogy sets you free.

The second proper time to use analogies is when you want to cause trouble. You should not try this at home. Leave it to the professionals. For example, when you hear Glen Beck or Rush Limbaugh getting a lot of heat for something they said, often there is an objectionable analogy at the heart of it. The most famous example is Limbaugh's coining of the word feminazi. If your job involves making people talk about you, analogies can be powerful tools.

Scott Adams Blog: Analogies are Fighting Words - update 03/09/2011

Well Sidhu should have chosen his words more carefully. He knows South Asian sensibilities and could have chosen a better analogy to describe the BD team.

And I dont think he's a good commentator. His commentary is too much of a distraction.

if u feel insulted thats the point, calling some nation some derogatory word is racism, you would be insult if an aussie had said this to you..

Come on, he was not calling any nation anything. he is/was a cricketer and was talking about cricketers. He says far harsher things about Indian players. You should have seen the way he practically took off Dhoni's pants the other day for persisting with Piyush Chawla and not giving Ashwin a chance.

Now I have seen enough of this racist cr@p on this thread. Siddhu may not be the most diplomatic of guys but then he does not have to be as he is not a bloody diplomat. What he is, is a guy with strong opinions who does not mince words. But what Siddhu is definitely not is a racist. If he called the Bangladesh team cockroaches in their own area, he has said much the same in the past in much harsher terms of the Indian team too. A team of which he was a very important part. No one in India calls Siddhu a racist. The point is, that if someone here in India does call him a racist, will Siddhu really care? NO. He will say what he feels and to hell with it. That is why we love him. he wears his heart on his sleeves. If you are playing bad cricket, he will slay you, even if you are God Almighty. Who is ICC to sack Siddhu? He does not need the job. He is in this because he likes the game he played so well, not for the money. Don't like it? Just lump it buddy.

There are so many Indian and Pakistani fans over here in Bangladesh. If only y'all knew how a Bangladeshi would feel reading all of your comments. God bless your teams and we got no hate against them. :)

Sidhu is an idiot - the whole world knows it. Anyone would be insulted by this analogy - what a shame. I am just surprised some feminists have not taken issue with his comment - "Statistics are like mini skirts; they hide more than they reveal."

Sidhu is an idiot - the whole world knows it. Anyone would be insulted by this analogy - what a shame. I am just surprised some feminists have not taken issue with his comment - "Statistics are like mini skirts; they hide more than they reveal."

Actually what he said was, "they reveal more than they hide." Yes you are right, only feminists will make an issue of his remarks. Very brutal and hurts so much but oh so true.

did u know him b4 this incident???
now deep hatred immediately,wtf??

I saw him in some comedy Indian programs on some Indian channel.
He always talk like he drunk and even don`t know that he is on air. I my personally got the point after his racist comments again my country Pakistan, that maybe his always stuck on 12:00 clock on his face whenever he talk about my dear Pakistan The Great!

Now get a life you Siddu supporter,

Pakistan Zindabad, :pakistan:

I saw him in some comedy Indian programs on some Indian channel.
He always talk like he drunk and even don`t know that he is on air. I my personally got the point after his racist comments again my country Pakistan, that maybe his always stuck on 12:00 clock on his face whenever he talk about my dear Pakistan The Great!

Now get a life you Siddu supporter,

Pakistan Zindabad, :pakistan:

Yes? and you are calling him a racist? How very pathetic.

Back
Top Bottom