What's new

NATO request reopening of supply routes, Imran refuses.

airmarshal

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
NATO countries request reopening of supply routes, Imran refuses
By Web Desk
Published: December 9, 2013

643208-natotruckstrade-1386593820-269-640x480.jpg

Imran Khan says the supply routes will remain closed till the drone strikes are not stopped. PHOTO: AFP/ FILE

LAHORE: Representatives of Nato member countries requested Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan to reopen supply routes to Afghanistan via Pakistan,Express News reported on Monday.

The Nato countries said that the blockade was causing inconvenience to the Nato forces in Afghanistan.

Imran, however, turned down the request and said that the blockade would continue till drone strikes are stopped.

On November 24, the PTI blocked the Nato supply route in Peshawar after inviting all political parties to join their protest against the drone attack in which Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP) chief Hakimullah Mehsud was killed.

Activists in northwest Pakistan, some armed with clubs, have been forcibly searching trucks since late November to try to halt Nato supplies. In response, the US military suspended shipments of equipment out of Afghanistan through the Torkham border crossing in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

Torkham is a key transit point used by the Americans and Nato to withdraw military hardware from Afghanistan, as part of a troop pullout set to end next year.

NATO countries request reopening of supply routes, Imran refuses – The Express Tribune

Lets separate cowards from real men!

So what happens next? Any guesses? :)

Hagel warns Pakistan leaders over border protests - DAWN.COM

Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel warned Pakistani leaders on Monday that if they don't resolve protests stalling some military shipments across the border with Afghanistan, it could be difficult to maintain political support in Washington for an aid program that has sent billions of dollars to Islamabad, defense officials said.

In response, the officials said, Hagel received assurances from the Pakistanis that they would take ''immediate action'' to resolve the shipment problem. The officials did not provide details on how that might be done.

Imran isn't even the PM of Pakistan how can he refuse? :undecided:

@VCheng

Your turn first ? The Iran route or sanctions ?

My guess is that GoP will provide local "inducements" to lift the KPK blockade. The topi drama may remain, but nothing substantive will be blocked.

My guess is that GoP will provide local "inducements" to lift the KPK blockade. The topi drama may remain, but nothing substantive will be blocked.

The Govt of Pakistan will find itself between a devil and a deep sea because of the immature politics being played , without looking at the bigger scheme of things . At the moment , I cant think of anything that the Govt can possibly provide to stop PTI from doing it . If they are able to , how does Imran Khan pacify the local population about the decision to not continue whom he has worked so hard to unite against drones and America ? Well , supplies are continuing from Baluchistan and from KPK at night , if certain reports are to be believed . There mustn't be a problem then but it appears that there is .

Careful! Your opinion on this can have magnetic effects :lol:

...the Pakistani government says "substantial progress" has been made in repairing the relationship.

Hagel wants "to deepen our defence partnership" and to affirm continued US military assistance, the official (US) said.

"There is some friction in the relationship" and Hagel wants to tackle that "head on" to try to forge a better understanding between the two countries, he said.

Due to security concerns, Hagel's visit was a "guarded secret", Al Jazeera's Kamal Hyder, reporting from Islamabad, said.

He described as "upbeat" the Pakistani government's response to the visit, while noting that since July 2012 Pakistan had received close to $1.2bn in military aid from the US.

"The Pakistani [government] is very keen to continue that strategic partnership with the United States despite those serious differences," he said.

Al Jazeera

Last edited:

I doubt that until a deal on drone strikes is reached the blockage is going to be lifted. Let them install sanctions, at least we get to keep bits of our pride.

I doubt that until a deal on drone strikes is reached the blockage is going to be lifted. Let them install sanctions, at least we get to keep bits of our pride.

There will be no need for any sanctions since the blockade is going to be ineffective, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, just like the famous lines from Macbeth.

There will be no need for any sanctions since the blockade is going to be ineffective, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, just like the famous lines from Macbeth.

Is that why Mr Hegal came out with 'threats' if its 'ineffective' ?

Blocking supplies is not about supplies but 'establishing a narrative'.

Those are the "mutually beneficial arrangements", nothing threatening about that. ;)

Mr Khan isn't going to lift the ban on supplies, Sharif will be FORCED to play the 'good cop'. ;)

NATO countries request reopening of supply routes, Imran refuses
By Web Desk
Published: December 9, 2013

643208-natotruckstrade-1386593820-269-640x480.jpg

Imran Khan says the supply routes will remain closed till the drone strikes are not stopped. PHOTO: AFP/ FILE

LAHORE: Representatives of Nato member countries requested Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan to reopen supply routes to Afghanistan via Pakistan,Express News reported on Monday.

The Nato countries said that the blockade was causing inconvenience to the Nato forces in Afghanistan.

Imran, however, turned down the request and said that the blockade would continue till drone strikes are stopped.

On November 24, the PTI blocked the Nato supply route in Peshawar after inviting all political parties to join their protest against the drone attack in which Tehreek-e-Taliban (TTP) chief Hakimullah Mehsud was killed.

Activists in northwest Pakistan, some armed with clubs, have been forcibly searching trucks since late November to try to halt Nato supplies. In response, the US military suspended shipments of equipment out of Afghanistan through the Torkham border crossing in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

Torkham is a key transit point used by the Americans and Nato to withdraw military hardware from Afghanistan, as part of a troop pullout set to end next year.

NATO countries request reopening of supply routes, Imran refuses – The Express Tribune

Lets separate cowards from real men!

No offend, but i guess this is a typo right??

Will not reopen unless drone strike ARE NOT Stopped??

So you will open the line if the American keep on the drone strike??

again, nothing offending intented.....But we should consider spanking that jurno....

Back
Top Bottom