What's new

Nations with far off tropical island overseas territories and possessions

France continued...

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 2.05.49 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-08-15 at 2.00.01 AM.jpg

Clipperton Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Wow.....me myself i never knew France had a territory so close to the U.S mainland. Im shocked to see i never heard if that anywhere. Clipperton?? Will need to check that out.
Seems the frenchies are trying to outdo us in overseas territories.

What are you waiting for @Peter C to kick the frenchies out of your neighbourhood/door. For a super power thats too close for comfort. Russia and China can only dream of having such a strategic territory/location close to U.S soil.

Wow.....me myself i never knew France had a territory so close to the U.S mainland. Im shocked to see i never heard if that anywhere. Clipperton?? Will need to check that out.
Seems the frenchies are trying to outdo us in overseas territories.

What are you waiting for @Peter C to kick the frenchies out of your neighbourhood/door. For a super power thats too close for comfort. Russia and China can only dream of having such a strategic territory/location close to U.S soil.

The Caribbean stuff they have is much closer.
This Polynesian stuff is just beyond comprehension. It looks like some CGI created for a movie.

Yup, Peter! The main reason behind the rarest ones is simply that although it's lesser known
than for the Spaniards and Brits, we always had a big maritime tradition ( as the Hermione's return
to US coasts this summer showed ). However, this was not so conquest oriented. Many of these
islands were discovered by explorers but quite a few by fishermen too as Saint-Pierre et Miquelon,
or the Kerguelens, both still used for the purpose of allowing boats to anchor and crews to rest.

Clipperton is a special case. Extremely isolated, it was discovered in 1711, having being ignored by
the 15-1600s gang. It stayed so until the piercing of Panama by Lesseps that you guys later concluded
made it of some strategic interest. There was the horrible Mexican story circa prior to the "revolution".
The States nabbed it during WWII and gave it back in 1945.

Of these so called "possessions", one should note status variations. Austral lands ( TAAF ) are more or
less owned by the French state; Overseas collectivities are more like possessions except New Caledonia
that is on its way to independence and Departments are very much French soil no matter how far :
French Guyana ( not an island with Kourou launching Ariane Vega and Soyouz rockets ), Guadeloupe,
Martinique, Mayotte and Réunion.
Each, even the territories have representation in government. Not Clipperton though since uninhabited!

Thanks for the pics and good day, Tay.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom