What's new

N & S Waziristan Taliban Groups Join Forces

"...glad they are not gonna target us for the drone attacks and will rather go to afghanistan and target those carryin out these attacks."

No, ajPirzada. Drone attacks will likely continue in Pakistan so long as you allow the militants sanctuary on your lands. Perhaps more if the rest of the forty one nations in Afghanistan come to the conclusion that these attacks are encouraged by the GoP. Sanctuary openly permitted by the GoP would be sufficient cause to consider all options were it necessary to assure the U.N.'s success of the Afghanistan mission.

doesnt make any difference. it was coz of these drone attacks this whole mess started in pakistan. u guys killed more than 50ppl in ur first attack. ur second attack was on the following day and was on the ppl takin part in the funneral of day before's victims. it was after that those tribals started targetin pak army and then pak cities. and now if they stop doin that while drone attacks still carry on, i dont think its a bad deal. also when we fight with them and they bomb our cities, u get a reason to target us coz its easy for u to tell the world how bad situation is in pakistan. when situation in pak will get under control, may be one day gov will start thinking about doin something thing with these drone attacks

This isn't really that positive of a move -so long as these militants carry out cross border attacks in Afghanistan, Pakistan will be responsible.

So long as the Taliban maintain armed militias on Pakistani soil and the government writ does not hold, Pakistan cannot in the truest sense consider that territory its sovereign territory.

This might be positive in the short run, in that it allows the military to potentially establish control over areas it is currently fighting in, such as Bajaur, Mohmand and Khyber, but eventually the Taliban are going to have to either come to an agreement with the GoA, or be attacked in Waziristan as well.

Right now the thousands of innocent lives have been saved for waste in the pointless war. USA was never happy with our war anyway, and i know their *** must be on fire right about now. Personally i think USA will not let this happen, they want wars, they want people to be killed.

Mehsud stops support to Taliban groups
FIDA HUSSAIN
ISLAMABAD (February 24 2009): Chief of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) Baitullah Mehsud has stopped his support in strategic planning and training to Taliban groups, operating in different areas of Fata and Swat. The announcement came after Mehsud formed a new alliance with Maulvi Nazir and Qari Gul Bahadar - the pro-Pakistan leaders, who are signatory to still intact North Waziristan peace agreement with the Federal government.

The new alliance, "Ittehad-ul-Mujahideen," in the twin agencies of Waziristan with Mulla Omar as its supreme leader, indicates that the TTP will remain in allegiance to the former Afghan ruler, who totally disowns and opposes the Taliban activities against the military and paramilitary forces inside Pakistan.

Informed sources told Business Recorder here on Monday that the formation of new alliance is the opening of a new chapter in the Taliban history that would have direct impact on the ongoing militancy both in Pakistan and Afghanistan. To a question if the new alliance is a tactical move by the Taliban leadership to prepare fighters for upcoming summer offensive in Afghanistan, the sources said that it would be premature to assume that.

"There could be some good news for both Pakistan and Afghanistan during next few months. There could be some good news for the new US government," the sources said. They said that it was encouraging that the international community did not out-rightly reject the agreement between the government and the defunct Tehrik Nafaz-e-Shariat Muhammadi (TNSM) on establishing Qazi courts in Malakand division and Kohistan district.

"Some US officials expressed their reservations on the agreement, but there were others, who praised it. Expressing reservations on an issue is one thing and opposing it or pressing a government to abolish it is another," the sources said. Though it was too late to give peace a chance, the new governments in Pakistan and the US had realised that peaceful means were never sincerely tried, they said.

The sources said that Pakistan's former military dictator General Pervez Musharraf (Retd) and the ex-US president George W Bush were not trying to give peace a chance because they were of the view that this development could have been judged as their weakness. Though Musharraf government had signed the peace agreement with Taliban in North Waziristan, he and his government were unable to use this agreement for the benefit of Pakistan as a whole. Musharraf was not at all liked either by the Taliban leadership or Fata people, they added.

New US President Barrack Obama's administration was not under any compulsion to go ahead with what it inherited from his predecessor, they said, adding that the widespread hatred for America was actually targeted towards Bush. The new US President could turn the table and he could find some love if the US policy of deterrence and use of force was revisited, they added.

The back channel negotiations with the Taliban in Afghanistan, they said, had been going on and some Gulf countries had been actively engaged in these efforts. The formation of "Ittehad-ul-Mujahideen" and the 13-member Shoora to look after the affairs of the TTP was also an indication that Baitullah Mehsud almost agreed to Maulvi Nazir and Qari Gul Bahadar not to carry out any activity inside Pakistan. Baitullah Mehsud never said that he was anti-Pakistan.

On the other hand, he expressed his readiness to defend Pakistan following India's war threats in the backdrop of November 2008 Mumbai attacks, they said. The sources said pro-Mulla Omar members would dominate the Shoora. In the past, Mulla Omar clarified several times that he had nothing to do with Taliban activities inside Pakistan. Nearly all the Taliban groups owe allegiance to Mulla Omar, they added.

Business Recorder [Pakistan's First Financial Daily]

I got to disagree with AM here.

I don't think cross-border attacks have much impact in Afghanistan. Some people elsewhere think the entire insurgency consists of people trekking back and forth with heavy weapons across the Afghan-Pak border!

There is a region where cross border attacks possibly occur with high frequency. It's shown in this map. It accounts for a proportion of the attacks in Afghanistan (let's say 10-20%).

145bdf8d33aade6ecc48d41dff940373.jpg

However, the majority of attacks look to originate well within Afghanistan.

If this is all true, it's confirmation that Pakistan Taliban and Afghanistan Taliban are two very different beasts.

This is great news for Pakistan.

Since independence of Pakistan in 1947, FATA and NWFP were the most peaceful areas in Pakistan until 2001.

We need to see peace in those areas again like it was before.

i think some people over simplify what the taliban are. but i dont think that this is a good think for pakistan. mullah omar should have told them to disband and not attack american forces. we need to realize that these people will always be a problem for us whether the US is in afghanistan or not.
But i do think that a lot of people think that people attack ISAF and run across the border all the time which is quite mis leading because they control large swathes of land in afghanstan that is not close to the border at all.
This i think is an excellent report by Al Jazeera on the complexity of problems in afghanistan

Look at the pixilated camo that they have. this is very similar to the camo that the marines use

Last edited by a moderator:
i think some people over simplify what the taliban are. but i dont think that this is a good think for pakistan. mullah omar should have told them to disband and not attack american forces. we need to realize that these people will always be a problem for us whether the US is in afghanistan or not.
But i do think that a lot of people think that people attack ISAF and run across the border all the time which is quite mis leading because they control large swathes of land in afghanstan that is not close to the border at all.
This i think is an excellent report by Al Jazeera on the complexity of problems in afghanistan

I think Pakistan has to look after its own best interst.

The original Taliban led by Mullah Omar never harmed Pakistan or Pakistanis. Pakistan was living in peace with them before the War on Terror. Taliban didn't even attack U.S., its Al Queda (Arabs) who attacked U.S. The original Taliban are Afghans and a few Pakistanis, they had nothing to do with 9/11.

We have to understand the Taliban (and when I say Taliban I mean the original Taliban led by Mullah Omar). They were governing Afghanistan (their own land) then the Arab Al Queda decides to plan attacks (in Afghanistan which is not Arab land) on America in 9/11. Taliban had no idea what Al Queda were upto. Then foreigners (Americans) come into Afghan Taliban's land (Afghanistan) throws them out and places an American puppet, Karzai, as ruler of Afghanistan. What would anyone do?

To my fellow American friends on this forum: Imagine if some Ukranians come into America plan attacks on Cuba and then Cuba comes into U.S. throws the Democratic party out of office and places a Communist Cuban puppet as ruler of U.S. What would any American do?

Taliban Afghans see Americans as invaders.

good news but taliban should still be kicked out of pakistan

This so called new Taliban led by RAW agent Baitullah Mehsud should be kicked out, the original Taliban led by Mullah Omar never harmed Pakistan, they are just trying to get rid of invaders from their country which is understandable.

Pakistani Taliban announce indefinite truce in Swat:enjoy:
Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:31pm EST

By Junaid Khan

14b0a44e0f014e82e33a341f600a556e._.jpg

MINGORA, Pakistan (Reuters) - Pakistani Taliban militants announced on Tuesday an indefinite ceasefire in the Swat valley in the northwest of the country, a day after the army said it was ceasing operations in the region.

In the neighboring Bajaur region on the Afghan border, the government announced a four-day ceasefire in response to a unilateral truce called by militants there on Monday.

The ceasefires are likely to compound concerns among Western countries which fear truces allow militants to create sanctuaries in Pakistan where they can regroup and intensify their insurgency against Western forces in neighbouring Afghanistan.

The indefinite ceasefire in Swat follows an agreement by authorities to enforce Islamic sharia law in the valley, which until 2007 was one of Pakistan's prime tourist destinations.

A 10-day truce announced in response to the agreement on sharia law had been made permanent, said a Taliban spokesman in the valley, 120 km (75 miles) northwest of Islamabad.

"We have agreed on an indefinite ceasefire," said the spokesman, Muslim Khan.

Khan said the Taliban in the valley, led by militant cleric Fazlullah, also decided to release three people, including two politicians, as a goodwill gesture.

The militants had virtually taken over control of the valley in recent months, residents said, killing enemies and blowing up schools which they said the security forces were using as posts.

The army said on Monday it had ceased operations against militants in Swat and said there would be no sanctuary for militants there if the writ of the state was re-established.

While militants negotiated from a position of strength in Swat, in the Bajaur region they had been hard pressed by security forces in recent months and declared their ceasefire after they appeared to have been cornered.

FOUR DAYS

Bajaur has long been a major infiltration route for militants into eastern Afghanistan. Major-General Tariq Khan, the head of the paramilitary Frontier Corps, told Reuters on Monday his forces were expected to clear the region by March.

The military has said more than 1,500 militants and nearly 90 soldiers have been killed in Bajaur since last August. There was no independent verification of the militant casualty estimate.

Responding to the militants' ceasefire declaration, civilian and military officials said security forces would hold their fire for four days to allow Pashtun tribal elders to persuade the militants to lay down their arms.

A security analyst said the forces had to be vigilant because militants from Swat could slip over mountains into Bajaur to help their comrades.

"They have to watch Bajaur very critically and their normal operations should continue," said Mahmood Shah, a former security chief in the Pashtun tribal areas.

"They shouldn't have even given them four days and should have asked them straight away to lay down arms."

Authorities have struck peace deals with militants in several parts of the northwest over recent years, including one in Swat last May, but none has succeeded in eliminating militant sanctuaries.

Fighting flared in Swat, which is not on the Afghan border, in 2007 after hundreds of militants turned up from border enclaves to support Fazlullah and his drive to introduce hardline Islamist rule.

The government said this month 1,200 civilians and 180 members of the security forces had been killed in the valley since 2007.

The human rights group Amnesty International said between 200,000 and 500,000 people had been displaced from their homes in Swat by the violence.

(Writing by Zeeshan Haider; Editing by Robert Birsel and Paul Tait)

Pakistani Taliban announce indefinite truce in Swat | International | Reuters

Less blood spilt the better.

Forget US, why do you guys always use US lack of moral gorund as reason not to protect your country and rights?

US wont stop with cross border drone attacks. And thats the biggest threat, every time they attack your hold dilutes.

How to tell these amercians to stay off ?

I got to disagree with AM here.

I don't think cross-border attacks have much impact in Afghanistan. Some people elsewhere think the entire insurgency consists of people trekking back and forth with heavy weapons across the Afghan-Pak border!

There is a region where cross border attacks possibly occur with high frequency. It's shown in this map. It accounts for a proportion of the attacks in Afghanistan (let's say 10-20%).

145bdf8d33aade6ecc48d41dff940373.jpg

However, the majority of attacks look to originate well within Afghanistan.

If this is all true, it's confirmation that Pakistan Taliban and Afghanistan Taliban are two very different beasts.

That's a valid point RR, and in fact Gen. Tariq Khan in his interview was complaining about the flow of Taliban fighters from Afghanistan into Bajaur, and the ability of the Taliban from Bajaur to find sanctuary in Afghanistan as complicating the operation in Bajaur.

However, ten to twenty percent of the attacks is still a significant number, and it does not address the paramount issue of the lack of GoP writ in Waziristan so long as these militias exist. Faqir Muhammed in Bajaur has only now after the pounding he received (and ostensibly the withdrawal of support from the TTP) agreed to allow the Army and FC free movement in Bajaur along with his ceasefire.

Secondly, we have received no word on these groups separating form AQ and expelling (or preferably killing) or turning over to the PA/FC any AQ people. The AQ threat is a significant threat to Pakistan, since the sectarian suicide bombings we have seen recently in DI Khan and elsewhere bear the hallmark of AQ operations along the lines of what they did in Iraq.

So there remain multiple unanswered questions that make me pessimistic over the long run about this arrangement.

1. Continuing cross border attacks - regardless of what proportion of the overall attacks they comprise.

2. Lack of government writ by virtue of heavily armed militias being present in these areas, and an inability of the government to shut down training camps and facilities used for recruits fighting in Afghanistan.

3. The lack of information about the future of the foreigners and AQ in these areas, who have no ties to Pakistan or Afghanistan, and will continue to commit atrocities in Pakistan and Afghanistan, and possibly elsewhere in the world.

Last edited:
I am little confused. Somebody please answer this.

Taliban and USA are sworn enemies.
Until now, Pakistan was with USA and hence was taking harm from Taliban.
Now, it decides to be friendly with Taliban and being successful.
But naturally, USA won't like it as it needs Pak for this war.
So, it will go to any extent to make Pak Army to act against Taliban.
Current economic condition of Pakistan does not allow it to leave USA's side.

So, how it becomes good news for Pakistan?
(I do NOT think Pakistan is doing wrong. But the conditions for Pakistan speak differently!)

S2 u r right to certain extent, if there are bad Tailiban, who are looking to regroup then it has to be stopped at any cost.

but as i mentioned in other post- dont put urself (as an ruthless US policy maker) as a care taker of Afghanistan people, we know Afghanies better than u do.

but lets get some facts right, if there are tailiban on our side, surely as u put it they go across the border and take part in extreimist activities(10-20%) and we admitt we fail to stop them.

but then what ur army doing at Afghan border??,surely these taliban come back to homeland, why dont u guys stop them, is this the CIA policy to destabilize my coutnry!!!, surely not, or they dont know themselves. if later the case then plz do understand that this is complex matter and being an X military man i expect u to understand

where is ur state of art Equipment-Satellites gone?
What intelligence system r u operating on?
People dies last year in pakistan in 61 suicide attacks costing so many people -INNOCENT- lives and made the country on top of the list effected by terrirosm.

if u think about Afghan people than also think about families suffering in pakistan due to these attacks, Army, civilians which intensifies through drones.

lets make it clear, any person which manages to cross border with an intension of terririosm must be dealt with by ur forces, but on the our side of the border, we have a right to deal with them not you period

dont give a country a loaf of bread with hundered lashes. have some heart, there are all human beings- does not matter what religon they belong to. i wish u could also felt for the people-muslims being brutaly murdered around the globe but obviously ur interests does not lie there.

Mehsud stops support to Taliban groups

what does this mean!

is it good for Pakistan esp in the Fata-lands or bad for us - and which taliban groups he is not supporting.The afghan talibans who are "loitering" in our lands and making hit and run forays against the Nato/ISAF/US forces in afghanistan.?

Is he now going to "eliminate" these talibans from our fata lands or keep giving them "safe refuge"?

will this stop drone attacks?

how does the US admn see this development "pan out". President Obama was "crystal clear" in his speech to the joint session of the congress regarding extremist threats to the US!.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom