What's new

N-deal with Pak could hit ties, India cautions China

I think though its a try not much can be achieved, if the US itself is not forthcoming not much can be done. Its the reality.

I too second it. Do not know how much can be achieved through this.
Let us see what the back channel diplomacy can pull off.

Instead cautioning China, India should support the civil nuclear pact of China and Pak. Don't Indian think prosperity will bring both nation more closer then future armed confrontation. If Indian don't understand this idea then i would say they are biggest fools who want to see unstable neighbor. Which is destructive for its own people but also for its neighbors too.
Economic prosperity is prime subject for peace in the region. And should quit crying habit. Big size countries don't look good with tears all the time.

Last edited:
Don't worry guyz. This deal is nothing more than just official about their China's nuclear prolifilion to pakistan.

It is win for india if it goes through. Pakistan loses some donors next time it goes to world bank/IMF.

Meanwhile US will pull troops from afghan next year. No more money or freebie from Uncle anymore.

I think though its a try not much can be achieved, if the US itself is not forthcoming not much can be done. Its the reality.

A very insightful statement. As US do not trust neither India or Pakistan, maybe someone in the state department even arraged for the China-Pakistan nuclear deal to maintain balance in South Asia. The only way that US would trust India is if India join the western alliance and allow US to setup military bases in India to counter the Russian/Chinese Axis. Anything short of that, US would not trust India. US would sell weapons to India to make some money, but would not regard India as a strategic allie.

Not really a good move by India. India got what it wants through the neuclear deal with US and is now accepted as a defacto nuclear power. By opposing this China-Pak nuclear deal, it will spoil its chances of being accepted by many NSG members who have very strong proliferation sentiments Viz. Australia, NZ and scandinavian countries. This china-pakistan nuclear deal will not have any impact on pakistans nuclear weapons program. India should not waste its diplomatic energies on this issue.

india is only wasting its time,the deal will go through,their no second option about it,thats the reality

I think India should accept the reality, that they themselves provoked china and Pakistan for this deal.. Perhaps same like 1998, nuk tests, Pakistan is forced to look for their options to keep nuk balance in the region, and once again china is standing tall shoulders by shoulders right besides Pakistan to help it..

I think India should accept the reality, that they themselves provoked china and Pakistan for this deal.. Perhaps same like 1998, nuk tests, Pakistan is forced to look for their options to keep nuk balance in the region, and once again china is standing tall shoulders by shoulders right besides Pakistan to help it..

Well the deal is a reality for sure but i would like to differ on the statement that India provoked u for this, ur nuclear trade with China was already happening albeit secretly. However we can agree that this deal was like a catalyst to bring this secret realtionship overboard.

One thing is sure though this deal is not going to be stopped, Pakistan may not be able to open nuclear deals with other countries similar to us. Though this cannot be called as a handicap since China is more than enough to take care of ur needs. In the future please mind i am not saying its going to happen but if both of ur priorities change then Pakistan could be in a precarious situation.

A very insightful statement. As US do not trust neither India or Pakistan, maybe someone in the state department even arraged for the China-Pakistan nuclear deal to maintain balance in South Asia. The only way that US would trust India is if India join the western alliance and allow US to setup military bases in India to counter the Russian/Chinese Axis. Anything short of that, US would not trust India. US would sell weapons to India to make some money, but would not regard India as a strategic allie.

Well man India will never go for such an alliance for sure. We don't need another Japan or Taiwan or S Korea in this part of the world. Already the friction is evident between Us and India since Obama came about. Though i could brush aside ur Uncle Sam's blessings for this deal behind the curtains, it is a possibility since US can act only for its interests and Democratic party of Obama is anti india no doubt.

Well the deal is a reality for sure but i would like to differ on the statement that India provoked u for this, ur nuclear trade with China was already happening albeit secretly. However we can agree that this deal was like a catalyst to bring this secret realtionship overboard.

well stop acting like particular indian rude fellow here.. why do you think everything made by Pakistan is pirated from china secretly while on the other hand things developed in india with more than 70% foreign parts and assistance are always called Indigenous..

I know you guyz won't accept that this deal is taking place because of India-USA deal, otherwise Pakistan never had any interest in such a deal with china. We are forced to maintain the balance of power in this region which was de-stabilized because of US-India Nuk deal few years ago.

It seems hypocritical for India to oppose the deal. India should encourage the deal and allow it to go through.

India got Russian nuclear reactors before the NSG waiver. So, India cannot object to Sino-Pak nuclear deal.
India is unnecessarily wasting deplomatic capital in this affair. China will put all effort to get this deal done and India will loose face and sour relationships.
This deal is a headache for the Nuclear proliferation Ayatollahs of the world. Let them fight it out with China. India should not get involved. Afterall the end result could be to Indias advantage.

Last edited:
Don't lose sleep over Chashma

“Who am I to interfere with what goes on between the United States and Pakistan? That's a matter for these two countries to consider,” Prime Minister Manmohan Singh responded in April 2010. He had been asked, in a Washington press conference, whether India objected to Pakistan and the U.S. reaching a deal on civil nuclear cooperation. The same logic should now apply to reports that China is planning to supply two additional safeguarded nuclear reactors to Pakistan. For those who still look at the region through ‘hyphenated' lenses, what is good for Pakistan must necessarily be bad for India. But the reality is not so Manichean. The rules of the Nuclear Suppliers Group, of which China is a member, prohibit reactor sales to countries that do not have full-scope safeguards. By claiming its proposed export of the Chashma-3 and 4 pressurised water reactors forms part of an earlier agreement with Pakistan that predates its membership of the NSG, Beijing denies the sale would violate the guidelines of the 46-nation cartel. Other NSG members dispute that, pointing to China's 2004 declaration limiting its ‘grandfathering' obligations to just the equipment and fuel for Chashma-1 and 2. How this dispute is settled depends on the balance of power within the cartel. India is not a member, and its response should be guided not by non-proliferation theology or anti-Pakistani prejudice but by a careful assessment of what impact the two additional safeguarded reactors would have on Pakistan's strategic programme. The answer is: not a lot.

Pakistan's nuclear weapons arsenal consists mainly of weapons manufactured from highly enriched uranium produced by centrifuges at Kahuta. The unsafeguarded Khushab pressurised heavy water reactor offers additionality along the plutonium route. Since all the current and future PWRs at Chashma will be under IAEA safeguards, there is no fear of any leakage from there to a weapons programme. One could, of course, argue that new reactors indirectly boost the weapons programme by freeing up uranium for exclusive military use. But this argument is true for the external supply of any power source, nuclear or conventional. Chashma-3 and 4 may allow Pakistan to forgo the need to produce electricity from any future reactor it builds and allow it to be run in weapons mode. But an imported coal-fired thermal station would allow the same degree of fungibility. In short, there is no need for India to lose sleep over Chashma. If it is worried about Pakistan's growing stocks of bomb-making material, it should push for the conclusion of a verifiable Fissile Materials Cut-off Treaty on a priority basis. Agitating against the sale makes no sense from a diplomatic or strategic point of view.

The Hindu : Opinion / Editorial : Don't lose sleep over Chashma

^^^ Humph! My net connection was not working or i would have beaten you in posting that article from 'The Hindu'...

Back
Top Bottom