What's new

Myth of defence Budget

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I just copied it from a friend

FOR EVERY PAKISTANI WHO ACTUALLY CARES!

Pakistan already spends the least amount of money while being the 5th most effective and largest army in the world as compared to the the top 10 military forces on this planet! You want to take away even this small budget?

Our military has achieved wonders in the puny little budget they get compared to the other armies in the region! That only goes on to show their competence!

Just 2 weeks ago I sent this article to Express tribune for publishing but they completely ignored it and now they pull this stunt!

With all due respect you are being run by incompetent people who are misguiding the public!

Debunking the Defense Budget Myth

In my early teens as I was growing up, I had become accustomed to hearing the phrase “The Armed Forces take the majority chunk of our Annual Budget” in every political discussion in my house hold. Usually it was an Aunt or Uncle who delivered this statement with such impressive theatrics that I was forced to believe it as though they themselves had not only made the budget but then also signed it! I believed this myth until I finally grew up.

A few days ago I was having another debate with an Uncle of mine and I told him that the Budget of the armed forces was but a small portion of the total budget. Needless to say, he gave me a skeptical smile which clearly said “you know nothing”.

So in that moment I decided to make it my crusade “to know everything” about the defense Budget. I got a copy of the Budget and sat down. After pain staking efforts I was able to discover a great many things.

The following is written with reference to Pakistan’s budget for the Fiscal Year 2013 - 2014. The government claims that the Defense budget is RS 700 billion; however, for everyone’s general knowledge let me start by saying that it is actually RS 1113 billion which amounts to 28.2 % of the country’s total budget.

Yes ladies and gentlemen it is more than what the government has told you but it is much less than what our previous generation has made us believe. This total figure includes the defense Budget Rs 700 billion and other military related spending such as pensions for retired military personal which are allocated from the Civilian funds. In other words this figure is the complete amount that the Armed forces get directly or indirectly from the annual Budget!

Furthermore in light of the recent security issues this 28.2 % (RS 1113 billion) has been the highest percentage of the budget allocated to our military since the foundation of this country.
The breakdown of this 28.2% is as follows:
Pakistan Army gets 48% while 20% goes to Pakistan Air force and Navy’s share is 10%. The remainder 22% is spent on various other security agencies and on asset protection.
This total amount of RS 1113 billion amongst other things includes the following payments:
Rs 163.4 billion have been allocated for “Pensions” of the military personnel. Rs 293.5 billion have been allocated for employee’s related expenses, Rs 180.2 billion for operating expenses and Rs 152.8 billion have been earmarked for physical assets. In addition this also includes Rs 165 billion under the contingent liability and Rs 85 billion under the Coalition Support Fund (CSF).

I hope this clears up the “Myth” that our armed forces take up everything we pay in taxes. The question you need to ask yourself now is “Where does the rest of the money go?”

God Bless You All.

I knew it from ages.......but any way your tribune point shows newspapers are not much interested in delivering truth to public.

Interesting article....though of 2013.

Pakistani Defense Spending And The Lost Cause

This year Pakistan is increasing its defense budget by 15 percent (to $6.4 billion). There have been similar increases during the last few years. While Pakistan increases its defense spending every year, to try and keep up with archrival India, it rarely goes up enough to be a real threat to India. These increases are largely due to U.S. aid (over $40 billion) and economic incentives (allowing Pakistani goods into the U.S. at lower customs duties). Before 2001 Pakistan was really struggling to scrounge up the cash to keep its armed forces going. The increases in the past few years have mostly been due to the war against the Taliban in the tribal territories, and Islamic terrorism in general. This war was a self-inflicted wound (Pakistan invented the Taliban in the early 1990s, and began sponsoring Islamic terrorists in the late 1970s). Many of these Islamic militant groups turned on Pakistan when Pakistan was given the choice, after September 11, 2001, to either become an ally of the United States (in the war against Islamic terrorists) or an enemy. It was an offer Pakistan could not refuse but there were expensive consequences. Thus Pakistan insists that American aid is not sufficient to pay for what it costs Pakistan to fight the Islamic terrorists it created. The U.S. rejects this argument, telling Pakistan to take responsibility for what it did to foster Islamic terrorism for decades. Pakistan refuses to admit any fault in this matter.

Then there is India, the traditional enemy. India no longer considers Pakistan the main threat, that role has been taken over by China (a major ally of Pakistan). Despite the terrorist threat, Pakistan has used a lot of the American aid to improve its capabilities against India. But that situation is pretty hopeless. Perhaps noting that, a lot of the additional money for the military went to increasing pay and benefits for the troops. The generals were already rich from what they stole from the budget and American aid. That has been noticed by many less wealthy Pakistanis, thus the raises for the troops.

The true state of Pakistan's defense situation was revealed five years ago when, for the first time in over four decades, Pakistan released information on its defense spending. That year's spending was $4.1 billion. That explains why this data has been kept secret for so long. That's because Pakistan's military rival, and neighbor, India spends far more ($38 billion) on defense. The difference should be no surprise. India has six times the population (at 1.1 billion) and 7.5 times the GDP ($1.1 trillion compared to $145 billion). India's economy has been booming for over a decade, while Pakistan's largely stagnated in comparison.

This military spending disparity has long been suspected, even with the secrecy. The GDP differences were well known, as were the details of how the two forces were equipped. This, of course, is why Pakistan put so much effort into developing nuclear weapons. Only this would provide a credible defense against a foe with superior conventional forces. Pakistan has been spending about three percent of GDP on defense, while India has long been spending two percent (the proposed increase will make it three percent). The global average back then was about 2.5 percent. Now it's closer to 2.8 percent, while Pakistans is a bit over three percent. Most of the most powerful military powers on the planet spend at least three percent of GDP on defense. Pakistan has been spending money it doesn't have, in a vain effort to keep up with its much larger neighbor. Now that India has matched Pakistan's three percent, Pakistan has to seriously consider peace because they can't afford to go above three percent of GDP.

Both nations are dwarfed by the regional superpower, China, which spends nearly $150 billion a year on defense. Pakistan is a major buyer of Chinese weapons, but China does not consider Pakistan a military ally. When it comes to India, Pakistan is on its own as far as China is concerned.

Leadership: Pakistani Defense Spending And The Lost Cause

I just copied it from a friend

FOR EVERY PAKISTANI WHO ACTUALLY CARES!

Pakistan already spends the least amount of money while being the 5th most effective and largest army in the world as compared to the the top 10 military forces on this planet! You want to take away even this small budget?

Our military has achieved wonders in the puny little budget they get compared to the other armies in the region! That only goes on to show their competence!

Just 2 weeks ago I sent this article to Express tribune for publishing but they completely ignored it and now they pull this stunt!

With all due respect you are being run by incompetent people who are misguiding the public!

Debunking the Defense Budget Myth

In my early teens as I was growing up, I had become accustomed to hearing the phrase “The Armed Forces take the majority chunk of our Annual Budget” in every political discussion in my house hold. Usually it was an Aunt or Uncle who delivered this statement with such impressive theatrics that I was forced to believe it as though they themselves had not only made the budget but then also signed it! I believed this myth until I finally grew up.

A few days ago I was having another debate with an Uncle of mine and I told him that the Budget of the armed forces was but a small portion of the total budget. Needless to say, he gave me a skeptical smile which clearly said “you know nothing”.

So in that moment I decided to make it my crusade “to know everything” about the defense Budget. I got a copy of the Budget and sat down. After pain staking efforts I was able to discover a great many things.

The following is written with reference to Pakistan’s budget for the Fiscal Year 2013 - 2014. The government claims that the Defense budget is RS 700 billion; however, for everyone’s general knowledge let me start by saying that it is actually RS 1113 billion which amounts to 28.2 % of the country’s total budget.

Yes ladies and gentlemen it is more than what the government has told you but it is much less than what our previous generation has made us believe. This total figure includes the defense Budget Rs 700 billion and other military related spending such as pensions for retired military personal which are allocated from the Civilian funds. In other words this figure is the complete amount that the Armed forces get directly or indirectly from the annual Budget!

Furthermore in light of the recent security issues this 28.2 % (RS 1113 billion) has been the highest percentage of the budget allocated to our military since the foundation of this country.
The breakdown of this 28.2% is as follows:
Pakistan Army gets 48% while 20% goes to Pakistan Air force and Navy’s share is 10%. The remainder 22% is spent on various other security agencies and on asset protection.
This total amount of RS 1113 billion amongst other things includes the following payments:
Rs 163.4 billion have been allocated for “Pensions” of the military personnel. Rs 293.5 billion have been allocated for employee’s related expenses, Rs 180.2 billion for operating expenses and Rs 152.8 billion have been earmarked for physical assets. In addition this also includes Rs 165 billion under the contingent liability and Rs 85 billion under the Coalition Support Fund (CSF).

I hope this clears up the “Myth” that our armed forces take up everything we pay in taxes. The question you need to ask yourself now is “Where does the rest of the money go?”

God Bless You All.
ET is run by bunch of qays who will not publish anything in favour of army. Sorry boy..

I think Pakistani defence budget should be increased to at least $12 Billions.

$6 Billion for Army
$3 Billion for Navy
$3 Billion for Air Force

As per the corrupt politicians our defence budget is 150% where as the stats clearly shows our defence budget is very low. Our defence budget needs to be increased at all cost, 48% is low.

Low defence budget is also thanks to corrupt politicians who are busy doing only corruption & we unfortunately we have one of the corrupt program, Benazir Income support program which is eating PD budget.

I support the troops but if some of that money went in other areas like in developing the people then we wouldn't have 40-50% of the population illiterate, 50% of people living in poverty, one of the worst infant and maternal mortality rates in our region, and thousands of houses with access to clean drinking water and electricity.

to increase the defence budget we should increase the tax collection .... not direct taxation but need to increase indirect taxation
Horrible idea. again it will grind the poor, and rich will dodge the systen.

For gods sake ,already ppl are sick of paying taxes and yet not seeing fruit of it, and u are suggesting more.

@Faiez ur views?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom