What's new

My temples, too - Pertinent questions about heritage

@LoveIcon

U also need to realize this as well.

We live in a world where morality has little value u maybe pious or i might be but our pious nature will not reflect the majority. And we certainly live in a big country home of close to 200 million people...... Profit and loss does exist when u will ask gov to release funds in this economic conditions....... Afterall there is no such thing as free lunch. Gov will also see its benefits of generating revenue from them because of the condition of our economy. So tourism angle will play its part if we accept or not.

Try to see it from Gov's prospective. Afterall its her responsibility to release funds for their maintenance.

Last edited:
Well bro if u put it like that then i have no words to disagree with u. But again bro who is gonna visit them anyways because certainly i wont.

Interest of people will automatically develop if we start owning our history, Acknowledging that tramples at some cretin point of time in history was place of worship of people of this region will not make us any less Muslims, nor denying it will make us better ones.

But bro nothing works on idealism. Hamain Idealism ka shikar nahi hona chahea.

There will be certain reactions and u and i r very small in 200 million pakistanis...Opinion of majority is supposed to be followed in a democratic system. So if there is a demolation in India then certainly there is a reaction bound to happen here as well we r afterall connected as well.

You are right that few persons are nothing in 200m - but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't try to correct mob & intolerant mindset of people. There is nice proverb "If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in the dark with a mosquito."

Butt Sb. kis dunia mai rahtay ho, people here don't let to demolish fake mazaars even if they are hurdle in day to day life and you are saying that they will allow to demolish mosque. But anyway - as per your logic even wall city can be demolished, sites of taxila can also be demolished as we don't have any budhist, we have few sikhs so their gurdwaras can also be demolished. IMHO - Every historical structure religious or non-religious should be preserved - It tells history of society & nations.

Lovey Bhai bandaaa meriii post tou pehleiii purrr leitaaa haiii ? :disagree:

Didn't I say that if any place of worship is (a) in use or (b) has veritable historical importance - Keep it !

The Walled City, the Sites at Mohenjo Daro & Taxila & other such places of Historical Importance should be preserved as should the Mosques, the Cathedrals, the Gurdawaras etc. but that shouldn't mean that we should preserve 'a' mosque or 'a' church or 'a' gurdwara simply because its 'a' mosque, 'a' church or 'a' gurdwara !

The Cathedral in the middle of Lahore near Link Faridkot has a History to it, is in Service & is a wonderful monument to behold - a Church elsewhere that neither has any historical importance, isn't in use & isn't an architecture marvel from any angle should either be demolished or put to some other use - Why waste money on something that neither shows the history of the society or the nation ?

As far as the 'mosque' bit is concerned I was only giving my opinion - I think most of them should be closed down & should be put to productive use - No one needs a mosque every 1 km !

Didn't I say that if any place of worship is (a) in use or (b) has veritable historical importance - Keep it !

The Walled City, the Sites at Mohenjo Daro & Taxila & other such places of Historical Importance should be preserved as should the Mosques, the Cathedrals, the Gurdawaras etc. but that shouldn't mean that we should preserve 'a' mosque or 'a' church or 'a' gurdwara simply because its 'a' mosque, 'a' church or 'a' gurdwara !

The Cathedral in the middle of Lahore near Link Faridkot has a History to it, is in Service & is a wonderful monument to behold - a Church elsewhere that neither has any historical importance, isn't in use & isn't an architecture marvel from any angle should either be demolished or put to some other use - Why waste money on something that neither shows the history of the society or the nation ?

As far as the 'mosque' bit is concerned I was only giving my opinion - I think most of them should be closed down & should be put to productive use - No one needs a mosque every 1 km !
Butt Sahab Control Control Control:rofl:

Kya kah rahy ho marna ha:lol:

I think you haven't read OP - It says that some of these temples were magnificent structures including one which was the biggest temple of Lahore and is linked to history of Lahore - not ordinary buildings. And there are many others in Pakistan which has history and left to be destroyed. Irony is that funds are already being allocated every year to preserve but going in pockets of corrupt officials.

I made a general statement, mate.

This is the right thing to do and it's not really subjective, philosophically, as this is not an individual affair. It becomes your heritage because it's a collective state of meaning on a physical artifact. That 'collective' includes our minorities. It would manner a 100 years from now, mate, when people would ask for these artifacts. I'm surprised we're even talking about this. I'm Mughal, ideally, the Lahore fort is my heritage, how is it yours? By national standard I share it with all Pakistanis, by regional standards by all people who were once in the Mughal Empire. The same case goes for such.

I can't recall where I mentioned Indians in such a context in either of my posts ! :unsure:

I dunno if 9% of Pakistanis in Sindh are Hindus or not I've heard different but say they are 15% - So what ? I'm not nor will I ever advocate socially ostracizing them or tearing down their places of worship or anything of the sort I'm simply asking how does the Mosque or the Temple around the corner becomes a part of 'my heritage' ? Its a place of worship nothing less nothing more - the Badshahi Mosque is a part of 'my heritage' not because its a mosque but because its the King's Mosque & is as unique as it gets ! Similarly the Gurdwara near Lahore Fort is not 'my heritage' because its a Gurdwara it is 'my heritage' because its right next to where Ranjit Singh's Samadi is located & some say even an extension of it !

And the 'right' thing to do is a very....very subjective 'thing' to do !

I made a general statement, mate.

This is the right thing to do and it's not really subjective, philosophically, as this is not an individual affair. It becomes your heritage because it's a collective state of meaning on a physical artifact. That 'collective' includes our minorities. It would manner a 100 years from now, mate, when people would ask for these artifacts. I'm surprised we're even talking about this. I'm Mughal, ideally, the Lahore fort is my heritage, how is it yours? By national standard I share it with all Pakistanis, by regional standards by all people who were once in the Mughal Empire. The same case goes for such.

Ajeeeb bandaa haiii ? You can be a Guatemalan for all its worth because I'm not talking about the Lahore Fort or any other such place with 'veritable' historical importance but what is an obscure church or a mosque without any veritable history to it worth to me as a 'heritage site' ?

Saving something just because its a 'place of worship' from a bygone era is hardly worthy for it to be called as 'our heritage' ?

Saving the Gurdawar just beneath Ranjit Singh's Samadi is a different ball game altogether because it has veritable historical importance & hence it would be good to protect it !

Back
Top Bottom