What's new

Muslims and Christians come together in Kurdistan Syria

Bahoz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Muslim imams and Christian priests came together in the city of Dêrik today. Here they discussed religious matters and how the different people can live together in the newly formed Kurdish interim government in northern Syria.

The Muslims, of which are majority Sunni Kurds and Arabs, and the Christians, of which most are Assyrian Orthodox, came together and created the ' Religious Council of Dêrik'. In the future, religious discussions and disputes will be settled with dialogue in this council. The council will function as a leading platform for the brotherhood of the diverse religious groups living in the north of Syria. The religious leaders called for peace and respect among the people and to show tolerancee towards each other across religious beliefs.

4.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

oldar-21.jpg

How can this be a Kurdish area when all I see on those photos are Syrian Sunni Arabs and Syrian Assyrian Christians.

Where do the Kurds come into the picture here?

And which Northern Kurdish "government" are you talking about?

Just asking.

How can this be a Kurdish area when all I see on those photos are Syrian Sunni Arabs and Syrian Assyrian Christians.

Just asking.

There's no Kurdistan in Syria, I don't know what he's speaking of...:blink:

Just asking.

Kurds, Arabs and Assyrians all live side by side in Northern Syria and in majority Kurdish cities. We do not distance ourselves from other groups. Actually, Hafez Assad created an Arab belt in northern Syria. Prior to that belt, in which hundreds of thosuands of Arabs were resettled from mostly desert areas to the futile northern Areas, most people in the north were either Kurdish, Assyrian, Chaldean, Chechnyan or Turkmen.

But Kurds do not have any interest in resettling them. Kurds do not look down upon Arabs even though Kurds form the majority in north.

You can read some more about the Arab Belt created by Hafez Assad here; http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/w...e-in-syrias-uprising.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

It is an interim government formed by Kurds, Arabs and Assyrians and Chechnyans;

Syrian Kurdish Party declares transitional government - Al-Monitor: the Pulse of the Middle East

Eh, and Kurds are not even native to the Northern areas of Syria. Arabs have lived in areas near the Euphrates for 2800 years. Assyrian are fellow Semitic people. Chaldeans too. Turkmens are very new arrivals. Less than 300 years ago they were settled there. Same with the Chechens. The two last groups are very small in numbers.

My point is that you cannot talk about a majority Kurdish area in those small parts of Northern Syria. Maybe the only place is that tiny corridor between North-Western Iraq and Turkey around Hassaka. Kurds make up 5-10% of the population of Syria. I don't think it is a good idea of propagandizing the partition of Syria as you have done indirectly.

My country has no "Kurdish problem" only Syria and Iraq has in the Arab world. And as you might know I don't support Al-Asshead in any way. But I am against dividing Syria since it will create a mess and further divide the region. Especially since the Kurdish area in Syria are so small and Kurds are a little minority.

Eh, and Kurds are not even native to the Northern areas of Syria. Arabs have lived in areas near the Euphrates for 2800 years. Assyrian are fellow Semitic people. Chaldeans too. Turkmens are very new arrivals. Less than 300 years ago there were settled there. Same with the Chechens. The two last groups are very small in numbers.

My point is that you cannot talk about a majority Kurdish area in those small parts of Northern Syria. Maybe the only place is that tiny corridor between North-Western Iraq and Turkey.

Al Hasani, with all due to respect. This is not a topic meant for pan Arabist thoughts. Actually, keep out any kind of panism. When did I say Kurds were native to the area? And no, there were no Arabs in Northern Syria until 1973 and the creation of the 'Arab Belt'. There were mostly Assyrians. Kurds have been living there since centuries. Although some Kurds only recently settled since 1920 and the end of WWII.

You need some very basic info. Read the articles I sent you.

And of course I can speak of a Kurdish majority. Why is that not possible to talk about? Kurds are majority in most of the northern cities. The only place they are not settled in the north is between Ayn al Arab and Ras al Ayn but that is due to the fact that the area is uninhabited. Other than that, they inhabit the vast northern region.

SYRIA-COMMITTEES-FSA-dirty-war-in-Kurdistan-2013-06-27-ENGL-2.jpg

goddamn kurdish separatists.:blink:

you might be wet dreaming if for just one second you think you can build another autonomous region :coffee:

kurds are lovely , separatists are :bad:

One thing is for sure; Kurds will never fall under the dictatorship of Assad again. The end of the oppressor is near. Assad is lucky that he does not have to cope with Kurds. We have had a mostly neutral period with Assad. He would be stupid to break it now. He can't even fight FSA. Kurds have thrown out FSA from their regions.

And yes, there is a Kurdish autonomous region in Syria. What can you do about it? Nothing.

That is not correct at all. What do you define as Northern Syria? That small stripe of land around Hasaka? Also you make no sense since there are Arabs in Turkey (about 1.5 million) who live just north of those areas in Syria you talk about. How did they get there? The Arab presence in Syria is nearly 3000 years old. Way before Kurds were known as a people.

Yes, all of Northern Syria and Northern Iraq was once Assyrian (fellow Semitic people) and today most of those regions are inhabited by Kurds.

Does not change the fact that you can't talk about a "Kurdish Syria" except for the areas around Hasaka.

I don't think you know about the consequences of dividing Syria for the region.

That is not correct at all. What do you define as Northern Syria? That small stripe of land around Hasaka? Also you make no sense since there are Arabs in Turkey (about 1.5 million) who live just north of those areas in Syria you talk about. How did they get there? The Arab presence in Syria is nearly 3000 years old. Way before Kurds were known as a people.

Yes, all of Northern Syria and Northern Iraq was once Assyrian (fellow Semitic people) and today most of those regions are inhabited by Kurds.

Does not change the fact that you can't talk about a "Kurdish Syria" except for the areas around Hasaka.

I don't think you know about the consequences of dividing Syria for the region.

Listen, you can not use that arguement here. Assyrians have no problem living with Kurds. In fact, they were heavily targeted by jihadists. Did you read the links I sent you? The biggest Assyrian partys back up the interim Kurdish autonomy because they know that living side by side with Kurds and Arabs in the north will not be a problem.

Again, read the link I sent you. There were no Arabs in NORTHERN SYRIA prior to 1972. Maybe nomads but no permanent settlements.

Nobody is dividing Syria. There is an urgent need for things to be governed when the central government is not working properly. If I am not wrong, you are against Assad. So what should the people do until there is a working government? Stand still? Freeze down? Obviously, people are going to try to govern themselves. Kurds, Arabs and Assyrians have every right to form whichever local government they want.

Again, of course we can talk about a predominantly Kurdish northern Syria. It is a fact. It is not something I make up. All maps indicate this. But again, Northern Syria is ethnically diverse. That is why the interim government is based upon multi ethnicism and multi religious co operation.

syria-ethnic-detail.png

In 1973, Syria began creating an “Arab belt” in northern Syria, confiscating Kurdish land along a 180-mile strip and giving it to Arabs.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/w...e-in-syrias-uprising.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

And yes, there is a Kurdish autonomous region in Syria. What can you do about it? Nothing.

will see about that !! the turn for separatists is near ....

just wait for the allepo to be liberated in near future , then we will see about that .

Nobody is dividing Syria. There is an urgent need for things to be governed when the central government is not working properly. If I am not wrong, you are against Assad. So what should the people do until there is a working government? Stand still? Freeze down? Obviously, people are going to try to govern themselves. Kurds, Arabs and Assyrians have every right to form whichever local government they want.

if its temporary , its okey but as long as the there is a war between syria and the terrorists.

after that , pack it or we'll send you packing

@Bahoz

That is false. I already told you that the Arab presence in Syria, around the Euphrates, dates back to 3000 years. You have not even provided a definition for what you consider Northern Syria in the first place.

Who told anything about there being a problem? I am telling you that you cannot talk about a "Kurdish Syria" outside that tiny area around Hasaka and north of it.

Also you did not answer me, how come there are living 1.5 million Arabs in Turkey just north of those areas you claim that no Arabs lived in prior to 1972 which is obviously false.

Besides Arab Christians lived across Syria long before any Kurds settled.

I am not against this council at all or similar. It is a good thing that the Arabs, Assyrians and Kurds are working together. But I believe that you are a self-confessed Kurdish nationalist and your goal is probably to divide Syria by creating a "Syrian Kurdistan" around Hasaka. I don't support that idea because this will lead to further division inside Syria and ultimately spread to the region.

And I am saying that as an Arab not from Syria or Iraq (aside from having ancestral ties to the latter but that does not count here) so a future Kurdistan would not impact me directly.

Autonomy, as I already told you before during a discussion about Kurdish rights in Iran, is fine with me. In Syria that is.

You then will have a Nusayri Arab area around Latakia, Sunni Arabs in 80% of the Syrian territory, small tiny areas of Druze people close to Jordan etc. It will be a mess. Then the Christians might want their part etc.

I am against splitting up the Middle East further since it will create a even bigger mess. I don't have a problem with Kurds as a people at all, or Chechens or Turkmens or whatever.

Alawites (Nusayris) are unfortunately also Arabs. Not sure why they are not shown as that in your link. So are the Christian Syrians (if not Assyrians) and the Druze people. They are now just known by their sect. Like Yazidis are Kurds but a different sect so they are known as Yazidis.

Look at your own link. The 500.000 Kurds who live west of Hassaka in the North are not even connected in land with the 1 million Kurds or so who live around Hassaka which I call the main Kurdish area in Syria. How do you want to make a entity out of that? Will cause more problems.

Just like the Kurds want to take Kirkuk in Iraq.

@Doritos11

Last edited:
will see about that !! the turn for separatists is near ....

just wait for the allepo to be liberated in near future , then we will see about that .

if its temporary , its okey but as long as the there is a war between syria and the terrorists.

after that , pack it or we'll send you packing

It
That is false. I already told you that the Arab presence in Syria, around the Euphrates, dates back to 3000 years. You have not even provided a definition for what you consider Northern Syria.

Who told anything about a problem? I am telling that you cannot talk about a "Kurdish Syria" outside that tiny area around Hasaka and north of it.

Also you did not answer me how come there are living 1.5 million Arabs in Turkey just north of those areas you claim that no Arabs live in prior to 1972 which is obviously false.

Besides Arab Christians lived across Syria long before any Kurds settled.

I am not against this council at all or similar. It is a good thing that the Arabs, Assyrians and Kurds are working together. But I believe that you are a self-confessed Kurdish nationalist and your goal is probably to divide Syria by creating a "Syrian Kurdistan" around Hasaka. I don't support that idea because this will lead to further division inside Syria and ultimately spread to the region.

And I am saying that as an Arab not from Syria or Iraq (aside from having ancestral ties to the latter but that does not count here) so a future Kurdistan would not impact me directly.

Autonomy, as I already told you before during a discussion about Kurdish rights in Iran, is fine with me. In Syria that is.

You then will have a Nusayri Arab area around Latakia, Sunni Arabs in 80% of the Syrian territory, small tiny areas of Druze people close to Jordan etc. It will be a mess. Then the Christians might want their part etc.

I am against splitting up the Middle East further since it will create a even bigger mess. I don't have a problem with Kurds as a people at all, or Chechens or Turkmens or whatever.

Mate. Please. Just read about the Arab belt created by the dictator Hafez Assad. It is clear you do not know about the settlements of Arabs in northern Syria. That Arabs did not exist ( in big numbers) prior to 1972 is not a false claim by me. It is evident in the construction of the Arab Belt which is an internationally recognized effort by Hafez Assad to resettle Arabs into the ferile land in the north. The late Assad actually confiscated Kurds from owning land property.

Also, Kurds form the majority also on the Turkish side of the border. So that Arabs have been living for 3000 years at the other side of the border is also false.

Ethnic_Groups_Turkey_Dutch.jpg

Definition? I have already posted two maps. In both of them, Kurds form majority in the habited places of North Syria along the Turkish border. Do you need anymore defining? Most newspapers and news agents call the place where Kurds form majority as northern Syria.

Then we agree. I am against splitting up Middle East too. Which is why you falsely claim me for being nationalist. Nothing of what I have wrote can indicate I am a nationlist. The region where Kurds form majority is known as Kurdistan. Kurdistan was a region during Saffavid and Ottoman eras and is more or less the Kurdistan we know today. It is not just a word I am making up here and now. Anyways, we have had this discussion a hundred times. If you do not recognize Kurdistan, fine. It is not like it is going to change anything. The place where Kurds form majority is called Kurdistan ( it is actually evident in the name of it), period.

And in Syrian Kurdistan, all the ethnic people live side by side and they have been doing so for a long time now. The only ones clashing with the local people are jihadist elements of AQ. Otherwise, there is a relative peace compared to the rest of the country.

I am not going to discuss semantics with you. I know the history of my Arab world. Arabs in all of Syria predate Kurds by many years. Be it Muslims or Christians. And Arabs are predated by the Semitic Assyrians. There is not more to discuss. You have not given a definition of what you consider Northern Syria. The areas around the Euphrates river in NORTHERN SYRIA have always been inhabited by Arabs in the last many hundreds of years. No Kurds were or are living there aside from recent immigrants.

Likewise I already told you that there are 1-1.5 million Arabs living in Turkey just in the areas north of those you claim that no Arabs lived in prior to 1972 inside certain parts of Northern Syria.

Arabs in Turkey (Arabic: العرب في تركيا‎, Turkish: Türkiye Arapları) refers to Turkish citizens who are ethnically Arab and who settled there prior to the arrival of Turkic tribes in Asia Minor.

Turkish Arabs are mostly Muslims living along the southeastern border with Syria and Iraq in the following provinces: Batman, Bitlis,Gaziantep, Hatay, Mardin, Muş, Siirt, Şırnak, Şanlıurfa, Mersin and Adana. The population in province of Hatay is predominantly Arab.[2]The Arabs in eastern part of the border consist of many Bedouin tribes in addition to other Arabs who settled there before Turkic tribes came to Anatolia from Central Asia in the 11th century. Many of these Arabs have blood ties to Arabs living in Syria, especially in the city of Ar Raqqah. The Arab society in Turkey is well integrated into the Turkish population, yet many speak Arabic in addition to Turkish.

Arabs in Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look up all those provinces in Turkey. Bordering Syria or close to it. They settled there before the Turkic migrations to Anatolia so they obviously had a presence WAY before 1972 as you claim.

Most of Syria is fertile especially the areas inhabited by Arabs.

I am talking about the areas around Hassaka and north of it which are mostly inhabited by Kurds today. That was not the case always since it was inhabited by Assyrian Semites before. You cannot even make a Kurdish entity that stretches from west of Aleppo to Hassaka. So how can you talk about a "Syrian Kurdistan".

Eh, have you not told many times that you support a INDEPENDENT Kurdistan? This must mean that you want to divide Iraq, Syria, Turkey and Iran. How else do you want to achieve that goal?

I never wrote that Arabs have a 3000 year old presence in Turkey. Come again. I wrote Syria.
And your very own map PROVES that Arabs lived in areas in Turkey just north of those areas in Syria that you claim no Arabs lived in prior to 1972. Their presence there, as my link proves, is ancient (predates the Turkic arrivals to Anatolia) and has nothing to do with the year 1972. So your argument makes no sense.

Also 1400 years ago that area of Turkey was part of the Arab Caliphates. Most of Eastern and Southern Turkey was that, including all of "Turkish Kurdistan".

Last edited:
Mate, i do not like to discuss for the sake of discussion.

The reason the Kurds from Hassaka are not connected to the Kurds from Efrin and Ras al Ayn is due to the ARAB BELT. Do you understand this? The Arab Belt was meant to divide Kurds and to give fertile lands to resettled Arabs. Would you please read the links I posted?

But all this does not matter. Majority of Arabs in Northern Syria agreed to form an interim government with Kurds and Assyrians. That is what will happen. That is the will of the people. If you stand against that then you stand against the will of your fellow Arabs.

Did you know that people from Shammar Tribe fought side by side with Kurds to throw out jihadists from Al Yarubiya?

Of course I support an independant Kurdistan. Just like you support independant Arab states. But I only support it through peaceful means. For instance, Kurds did not claim war against Arabs even though Arab Jihadists from AQ attacked them many times in Syria. Instead, we co operated with Arabs and created an interim government with them where they have a significant seat distribution.

Kurds, Arabs and Assyrians will build a democratic autonomy in northern Syria where they form majority. Anyone who wants to join are more than welcome. Kurds, Assyrians and Arabs are merily defending their land. They are not invading Damascus or Homs or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom