What's new

Muslim women show British PM just how #TraditionallySubmissive they are

RoadRunner401

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Muslim Women hit back at David Cameron with sarcastic hashtag after British PM says Muslim women’s ‘traditional submissiveness’ is partly responsible for radicalization

What happens in Britain can rankle in Canada.

Ryerson University professor Asmaa Malik says her mother Khalida is her role model: she showed her what it means to be a “very strong (and) very un-submissive” woman.

That’s what made British Prime Minister David Cameron’s recent comments about Muslim women that much more upsetting for Malik, leading her to add her voice to a feisty social media campaign calling out Cameron.

The British prime minister was criticized earlier this month after he said
Muslim women must improve their English or face deportation from the U.K.

Cameron also privately suggested that the “traditionally submissiveness of Muslim women” prevented them from speaking out against radicalism,
The Telegraph newspaper reported.

That set off a firestorm on social media, with Muslim women from around the world tweeting their impressive credentials to the prime minister, alongside the sarcastic hashtag #TraditionallySubmissive.

“To say that Muslim women are traditionally submissive is really one of the most insulting things you can say,” Malik said on Monday.

“It so dramatically undervalues the contributions that they make on every level. It plays up this idea that Muslim women are invisible in our cultures except in this role that Cameron points out. But the beauty of this hashtag is that so many women were like, ‘I’m right here and this is what I’m doing.’”

Malik’s tweet using the #TraditionallySubmissive hashtag had been re-tweeted 680 times and liked more than 1,450 times by Tuesday morning.

“my mom was so #TraditionallySubmissive she left home to go to med school in 1960s Pakistan. thanks to her, i’m a journalist and a professor,” she wrote. Malik worked at the Star from 1998 to 2005.

She said that her mother was “very touched” by the tweet.

“My mother is someone who I look up to as being a very strong, very un-submissive woman, who grew up in a time where it wasn’t easy to be like that in Pakistan,” Malik said.

“I find that her example very much drives my ambitions and my goals . . . I felt the need to express that,” she said.

Fiza Azlam posted a photo of herself holding a paper that says she’s worked for the U.K. public health service (NHS) for 22 years, knows five languages — including English — and is a mother of three and grandmother of ten.

“Muslim women are not a problem that needs solving,”
she wrote in a post that been re-tweeted more than 3,000 times and liked another 6,000 times.

“Optometrist, hold 2 Masters, pursuing PhD, Independent, held positions of leadership in various orgs makes me #TraditionallySubmissive,”
wrote Aaliya Versi.

London-based author and Muslim women’s activist Shelina Janmohamed, who took part in the Twitter campaign,
wrote that at least 30,000 tweets had been sent out with pictures of Muslim women doing a variety of activities or holding placards listing their many achievements.

The campaign, Janmohamed wrote in an article for
The Telegraph, “made a firm point: Muslim women have voices, they are diverse, their achievements are wide ranging and impressive, and they are taking charge of their lives and their political engagement.”

Cameron also said his government would fund English courses for Muslim women immigrants. Ironically, the U.K. Home Office press release about the English-language tests for new immigrants
misspelled the word “language” as “langauge”, which also prompted mockery online. The error has since been fixed.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ust-how-traditionallysubmissive-they-are.html

Now they are blaming submissive Muslim women... You wonder what these people are after. There is such a large section of the society which pays their taxes, participates within the society and goes to work and school. They see a few rotten apples and blame an entire group. Unbelievable that such crap is conveyed by a PM of a country. Holding an entire section of the society responsible. Threatening with expulsion and backtracking when the same vilified people make a point through Twitter.

Last edited:
While I opposed Cameron's earlier statement of deportation, I am sorry, but its the truth this time. I wonder how many Muslim girls are educated, and how many girls are allowed to marry of their choice. Plus wearing of compulsory Burqas.

Subcontinental people are not so much behind anyway

While I opposed Cameron's earlier statement of deportation, I am sorry, but its the truth this time. I wonder how many Muslim girls are educated, and how many girls are allowed to marry of their choice. Plus wearing of compulsory Burqas.

Subcontinental people are not so much behind anyway
If you think it's a "Muslim" issue, you have another thing coming. My flat-mate, for a stint, in London was a 55 year old Indian origin man who worked in a vegetable factory in Surrey. He was recently divorced from an English woman after a marriage of 3 years because of difference in cultural behaviours (his words). He was set up with an Indian girl in India by his extended relatives. They never met, but they had arranged a marriage date. He told me she was reluctant to marry because of their age difference, but her parents told her to either marry or live on the streets.
He also said she will get over it as people usually do when they realise this is the life there. She was 17, and the marriage date was set to be 5 days after she turned 18.
It's not a "Muslim" thing, it's a cultural thing. Cameron is just desperate to clamber on to the Muslim-bashing wagon to secure votes. He has nothing to offer, and never has. He will say and pass any law that he thinks will gain him favour with the majority of voters.

Now they are blaming submissive Muslim women... You wonder what these people are after. There is such a large section of the society which pays their taxes, participates within the society and goes to work and school. They see a few rotten apples and blame an entire group. Unbelievable that such crap is conveyed by a PM of a country. Holding an entire section of the society responsible. Threatening with expulsion and backtracking when the same vilified people make a point through Twitter.

If 20 % of Muslim women are not capable to speak proper English, you gotta admit that there is a freaking problem.

I wonder ... and how many girls are allowed to marry of their choice.

Isn't that more of an Indian thing?

You could stop killing baby girls, stop taking dowries and crack down on domestic violence for a start, before teaching gender equality to non-Indians.

i think its unbecoming of a prime minister to target specific religion, he could have just said migrants who dont speak English need to prove their skill once they are here. it applies chinese, eastern european or south asians.

If you think it's a "Muslim" issue, you have another thing coming. My flat-mate, for a stint, in London was a 55 year old Indian origin man who worked in a vegetable factory in Surrey. He was recently divorced from an English woman after a marriage of 3 years because of difference in cultural behaviours (his words). He was set up with an Indian girl in India by his extended relatives. They never met, but they had arranged a marriage date. He told me she was reluctant to marry because of their age difference, but her parents told her to either marry or live on the streets.
He also said she will get over it as people usually do when they realise this is the life there. She was 17, and the marriage date was set to be 5 days after she turned 18.
It's not a "Muslim" thing, it's a cultural thing. Cameron is just desperate to clamber on to the Muslim-bashing wagon to secure votes. He has nothing to offer, and never has. He will say and pass any law that he thinks will gain him favour with the majority of voters.
exactly... I have seen many Indians who can barely speak English.. and am talking about men folks.

Isn't that more of an Indian thing?

You could stop killing baby girls, stop taking dowries and crack down on domestic violence for a start, before teaching gender equality to non-Indians.

I did mention. Sub continental thing. Y quote only specific lines? Sub continent refers to people of India, Pak, BD, Lanka and Nepal.

By paying Cameron any attention,
you are playing into his hands.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom