What's new

Muslim girls wearing Hijab barred from classes at Indian college

Quite right.

Nobody should have to tell women what to wear and what not to wear.

I completely support Bella Hadid's reaction. She is a glorious example of an emancipated woman.

This controversy was not about religion; it should never have been made about religion. It was about the liberty of women to dress as they pleased without the sanction of prurient men.

Quite right.

I completely support Bella Hadid's reaction. She is a glorious example of an emancipated woman.

This controversy was not about religion; it should never have been made about religion. It was about the liberty of women to dress as they pleased without the sanction of prurient men.

A complex question always arises in my mind. If a woman wants to roam about naked, in public places; shall it be allowed?

A complex question always arises in my mind. If a woman wants to roam about naked, in public places; shall it be allowed?
Bella Hadid it was, who was quoted. Let her answer, in part, at least.

Being a prude, and over 70 years of age, it does not seem becoming to reproduce the picture of a young woman younger than my daughter. I leave it to you to examine the standards determined by those who insist on the right to dress as they please, with no restrictions.

For me, although I am no Christian, I respect Leviticus 18.

For me, although I am no Christian, I respect Leviticus 18.

You have not answered my query, in your own words. If a woman desires to roam about naked, in public; what injunctions, we have to deny her this freedom, besides those of religious scriptures? This question has always disturbed me. May be, there are many other similar social issues.

Individually, anyone may want to do anything. But societies have their own norms.

In Indian subcontinent (and most of the non-western world), women moving around in bikinis on beaches will be ogled at. Which is not wrong. Our societal norms does not consider it okay. We dont need to ape the west.

On the other extreme are the abhorrent black tents. Like a walking creature inside a garbage bag. Like a scary ghost. Like a dead (wo)man walking.

Both extremes are unacceptable / not okay in Indian subcontinent (and most of the non-western world).

Personally, I find the black tents most abhorrent. Particularly because of the arguments used to defend it:

1) Women are like ice-cream/chocolates and should remain covered: A woman with self-respect would revolt against her treatment as a consumable thing.

2) An uncovered women is like a meat and all men are cats looking for meat: This is a direct declaration that all men are potential rapists and women's exposed body is responsible for rape. As a man, I consider it demeaning that ALL men are declared as 'cats looking for meat 24x7'. Women too should consider it demeaning to be called 'meat'.

3) Muslim women are 'precious things' and 'precious things' are kept hidden: This is an allegation that kafir women are not precious and/or kafirs dont value their women

The logic given for black tent is worse than the black tent itself. Making it most abhorrent. The women supporting black tents are classic examples of Stockholm syndrome.

You have not answered my query, in your own words. If a woman desires to roam about naked, in public; what injunctions, we have to deny her this freedom, besides those of religious scriptures? This question has always disturbed me. May be, there are many other similar social issues.
None, to deny her her freedom.

We, however, have the duty to avert our gazes. This is clearly laid down, in at least one set of principles, and I have found them deeply influential (in the Leviticus chapter I have mentioned above).

I was to attend a board meeting at Preston, a whimsical decision by the British side of the combined board; I found myself in a very small, but very comfortable hotel in Preston, that is a very small town with a very large factory. One of my Indian directors was lodged there with me, to my deep discomfort. I was suddenly summoned to an impromptu meeting, to discuss the meeting on the morrow. When I met the man, slightly older than I was, then, in the lobby, he instantly haled me off to the heated swimming pool. It was filled with little girls, pre-teeners, and in their early teens, and boys of the same age, and to my disgust, the man insisted on standing there, to a side, and uttering disjointed phrases that had no relevance whatsoever, while staring bug-eyed at the kids.

I lost all respect for that man that day.

Individually, anyone may want to do anything. But societies have their own norms.

In Indian subcontinent (and most of the non-western world), women moving around in bikinis on beaches will be ogled at. Which is not wrong. Our societal norms does not consider it okay. We dont need to ape the west.

On the other extreme are the abhorrent black tents. Like a walking creature inside a garbage bag. Like a scary ghost. Like a dead (wo)man walking.

Both extremes are unacceptable / not okay in Indian subcontinent (and most of the non-western world).

Personally, I find the black tents most abhorrent. Particularly because of the arguments used to defend it:

1) Women are like ice-cream/chocolates and should remain covered: A woman with self-respect would revolt against her treatment as a consumable thing.

2) An uncovered women is like a meat and all men are cats looking for meat: This is a direct declaration that all men are potential rapists and women's exposed body is responsible for rape. As a man, I consider it demeaning that ALL men are declared as 'cats looking for meat 24x7'. Women too should consider it demeaning to be called 'meat'.

3) Muslim women are 'precious things' and 'precious things' are kept hidden: This is an allegation that kafir women are not precious and/or kafirs dont value their women

The logic given for black tent is worse than the black tent itself. Making it most abhorrent. The women supporting black tents are classic examples of Stockholm syndrome.
I totally disagree.

We cannot apply our own norms to others.

It is horrible to see the masses of northerners who arrive at Goa with the express purpose of drinking their fill of the nudity that they pray to find. As far as the other end is concerned, that of burkhas, not hijab, but full-on burkha, I believe that we have to distinguish between what is imposed by a patriarchal segment within each society, and what is a spontaneous act of independence by a woman.

Last edited:

"busts a class of girls wearing hijab"

Hijab has been effectively criminalized in India,

Indian muslims would have to fight on two fronts on the same time

On one front they have blood thirsty genocidal hindutva terrorists

And on other front they have atheist communists munfaiqs with urdu names like @jamahir to enable and help them and is far dangerous than hindutva terrorists

May Allah help Indian muslims. It isn't easy to survive on your religion with dignity in such a situation

Quite right.

Bingo.

And on other front they have atheist communists munfaiqs with urdu names like @jamahir to enable and help them and is far dangerous than hindutva terrorists

May Allah help Indian muslims. It isn't easy to survive on your religion with dignity in such a situation
Well said!

Yeah because many current Indian Muslims are oh so Islamic. :rolleyes:

You can call me names because currently the forum administration is leaning to the Right unfortunately. Chalne do.

And what is the source of your anger here ? My opposition to the misinformed and misguided girls of India who obstinately want to wear the burqa despite me saying on the forum so many times that the burqa has nothing to do with Islam and it being a pre-Islamic Jewish garment ?

So the current Indian Muslims, agitating for the wrongest things, put out banners that say "Pehle hijab, phir kitaab" while ironically the originator of their supposed religion had said that knowledge should be attained even if one has to travel as far as China. But Areesh will not understand the irony because Areesh is a ritualist "Muslim" not given to much thinking and not understanding the philosophies and ideas of Islam.

As for me being an atheist I put myself into not a binary between believer in God and a disbeliever in God but into the third category of being an acknowledger in the undeniable supremacy of Nature. Try to understand that my dear ritualist. Your beliefs are a minuscule part of the infinite and immeasurable universe.

Lastly, about Communists enabling and helping Hindutvadis... :rofl: Get intelligent for once.

Last edited:

Their are always sell outs

Through out human history, you will see individuals stand against their own people and values and interests to serve their oppressors

Their are always sell outs

Through out human history, you will see individuals stand against their own people and values and interests to serve their oppressors

"There" and not "Their". Irony that you studied in British schools. Stop insulting me and start writing proper English.

Yeah because many current Indian Muslims are oh so Islamic. :rolleyes:

You can call me names because currently the forum administration is leaning to the Right unfortunately. Chalne do.

And what is the source of your anger here ? My opposition to the misinformed and misguided girls of India who obstinately want to wear the burqa despite me saying on the forum so many times that the burqa has nothing to do with Islam and it being a pre-Islamic Jewish garment ?

So the current Indian Muslims, agitating for the wrongest things, put out banners that say "Pehle hijab, phir kitaab" while ironically the originator of their supposed religion had said that knowledge should be attained even if one has to travel as far as China. But Areesh will not understand the irony because Areesh is a ritualist "Muslim" not given to much thinking and not understanding the philosophies and ideas of Islam.

Nobody is misguided and misinformed more than you

You are a disgrace. An idiot who dislikes people on their choice of clothing. A bigot who can't accept other's choice of living

As for me being an atheist I put myself into not a binary between believer in God and a disbeliever in God but into the third category of being an acknowledger in the undeniable supremacy of Nature. Try to understand that my dear ritualist. Your beliefs are a minuscule part of the infinite and immeasurable universe.

Nature, binary blah blah

You are just a coward who is too afraid to come out as an atheist that you are

Lastly, about Communists enabling and helping Hindutvadis... :rofl: Get intelligent for once.

Yup. Two blood thirst ideologies. A perfect match

Back
Top Bottom