What's new

Musharraf: Uniform is an intergral part of my life

Lahori paa jee

Reaction score
In an interview to an Arab TV, he said that he liked wearing uniform, as it was an integral part of his life. President told that he was a commando and he was not afraid of Ayman Al Zawahari’s threats and added, “If anyone wants to kill him, then he would himself eliminate him.”
http://geo.tv/geonews/details.asp?id=121846

Every officer likes to remain in uniform. But what about those hundreds of generals and officers who have retired before and after Mushy came to power. Many of them died defending their country. Didn't they love their uniform.

Mushy is blinded by his lust for power. It was the same which made him overthrow NS and the case of hijacking of his plane in 1999 was a drama.

Mushy will meet his end soon and his uniform will always be apart of his body. For General Zia had the same wish and even today he is in his uniform.........................in his grave.:sniper: :army:

It doesn't matter to me if he's wearing his uniform or not, all I care is that the guy is billiant and good for my country.

One can dislike him for what he did in 1999, i.e. overthrowing NS, but if he hadn't done that what would have become of the country? NS is among the most corrumpet leaders our country has produced.

Mush managed well siding with the US in WoT, would NS have done the same?
Would Pakistan have profitted from USaid or NS and Co instead themselves?

Neo said:
It doesn't matter to me if he's wearing his uniform or not, all I care is that the guy is billiant and good for my country.

One can dislike him for what he did in 1999, i.e. overthrowing NS, but if he hadn't done that what would have become of the country? NS is among the most corrumpet leaders our country has produced.

So tell me what good has happened to the common ( not rich) man in Pakistan? Is the law and order situation better? If he is into " enlightened moderation", why does Pakistan still have Hudood laws. He could "un-ordinance" that in one sentence. Has unemployment dropped as a result of American money? or how about power and water issues? If the Army cannot ensure law and order, and remove the gun culture, than who can? Is he not alienating the Baluchis? Even the Americans do not really trust him anymore, they are simply playing along for now.

TexasJohn said:
So tell me what good has happened to the common ( not rich) man in Pakistan? Is the law and order situation better? If he is into " enlightened moderation", why does Pakistan still have Hudood laws. He could "un-ordinance" that in one sentence. Has unemployment dropped as a result of American money? or how about power and water issues? If the Army cannot ensure law and order, and remove the gun culture, than who can? Is he not alienating the Baluchis? Even the Americans do not really trust him anymore, they are simply playing along for now.

I dont live in pak, can anyone enlighten me on this issue raised by john

TexasJohn said:

Whatever you said its all true, i wish you could go back and look into the past during NS time. There is some stability in the economy, he has and indeed trying to do so many good things for Pakistan. But all these things ask for some time, no one can just come and bring that much change overnight. It has been nearly 6 yrz since musharaf has been the president, and look how many incidents happen during these 6 yrs, sept 11, Afghan Iraq war, tension between india which nearly brought them close to the nuclear war. Things are getting settle down a bit now. One day one day inshallah, you will see a different Paksitan.
But its not the responsibility of just one person, there'r gotto be other politiceans who has overcome their personal desires and benefits for the good sake a of Pakistan. It is the responsibilty of every national every person living in Pakistan to take part into this, atleast just think for a minute, i dono how many honest people are there amongst us. God bless Pakistan.:flag:

TexasJohn said:
So tell me what good has happened to the common ( not rich) man in Pakistan? If he is into " enlightened moderation", why does Pakistan still have Hudood laws. He could "un-ordinance" that in one sentence. Has unemployment dropped as a result of American money? or how about power and water issues? If the Army cannot ensure law and order, and remove the gun culture, than who can? Is he not alienating the Baluchis?

Pak. economy is growing at seven percent, during NS time people had written off Pak. as a back water crap hole. In relation to the common man, a rising tide lifts all boats. A growing economy is the surest way to end poverty.

It is a myth that dictators can do totally as they please, the president is also a politician. He can not alienate enough people strongly enough and then expect not to have forcefull action taken against him.

Secondly Pak. is a more conservative nation than the U.S., why doesnt U.S. close all the stripper bars? Secondly, Pak. is a diverse nation with competing regional, ethnic and sectarian views. If the president attempted to impose a single cultural view from Islamabad, it would add to the forces which seeks to rip the nation apart. After all the U.S. was almost ripped apart due to regional differences in the civil war. The Hudood laws are a domestic cultural issue and also about regional self determination. The central govt. trying to overide will not be a good move.

The Pak. is economy is growing @ 7%, approx twice the rate of the U.S., i dont know what you are going on about.

The Baluchi issue is simply a competition for rent, it is no coincidence that easily exploitable resources often lead to friction.

TexasJohn said:

Now there is some information, thanx to @@@ Sigatoka, what do ya say now... You have to live among the people if you wanna know them. Same is the case with pakistan and india and other countries like that. You will hear so much but the truth is what you see from ur eyes:disappointed: .

Very, very good viewpoints. I cannot diagree with any of them. I think what it boils down to is the basic cultural makup of Indians and Pakistanis. I came here at an early age, and the last time I visited was in 1999. That was mostly because my aging Dad had never met my wife or kids and he was anxious to do so.

I think we tolerate corruption and are almost resigned to it as a fact of life. While in Bombay and Bangalore, I saw it everywhere. My Pakistani friends say it is the same in Pakistan also.

Allow me to bore you with this little incident. We had just landed in Bombay ( complete chaos!) and the customs line was real long. I noticed a uniformed customs dude collecting passports from some people ( along with a "tip") taking it to the counter, where the boss customs man would stamp it and he would return to the people, who were then waved through. This ticked me off to no end, and being stupid, I walked to the top of the " Non-citizen" line and real loudly told the boss customs man, "hey! do you know one of your guys is taking bribes from passengers to get their passports quick?" I said this loud enough for several other people to hear!! The guy gives me a " you are screwing up my show" look, and without another word, stamped all our passports and shooed us through. He wanted me gone!!!!

Corruption and red tape appears to be our downfall. It does not matter whether it is a civilian PM or a Amry Chief. Yes, from what I've read both NS and BB were corrupt. I think people look at Mush as a breath of fresh air. However with time, he also fell into the politician midset, and now there is corruption in the Armed Forces.

The Army in Pakistan is the last bastion of order. That is why I am dissapointed. Perhaps I expected more.

Wait for my reply John.

Sigatoka already has given excellent answer to your post and I'll add some more to it in a few minutes.

TexasJohn said:

In addition to what Sig wrote in his excellent post #7, I have a just a few things to add.

Rome wasn't built overnight, so Pakistan will need more time to change into a successful society, nevertheless we're well on track.

I give all the credit to Mush and Aziz for this great achievement.
Pakistan was on the verge of defaulting in 1999 when Mush took over. Forex had declined to a depressing and shameful historical low of $700 million, today forex stand at $13 billion.

Poverty, which climbed to 32% in the late nineties has come down to 23.9% and under the current KHH programme, it will be reduced to 12.5% by the year 2015. That is as low as in The USA!

GoP has created 7.5 million new jobs in last 6 years, 5 million only in the last three years and the figure is to increse. In certain specific area's we even face shortage in skilled workers today.

Under the current programme, the IT sector only will see creation of 500.000 new jobs in three years without foreign involvement. With more FDI in this sector, the number could even increase.

How the returns have been given to the common man can be measured from the fact that over 7.000 villages have received electricity in last year only. By the end of 2007 all of Pakistan will have been 'electrified' and 95% of the population will have access to clean water.

Mush is the mastermind behind the four mega water projects, due to be completed by 2015. That will not only solve water shortage in Pakistan but will also revolutionise the aggriculture, hence lift the economy.
It will also prevent further dessertification of Pakistan.

Living standard is rising, not only for the rich upper and the middle class but also the common 'poor' man!
For instance, just two years ago only 500.000 people owned a cell phone in Pakistan; today over 30.000.000 have a cell phone.
Disposable income is growing faster and faster.

Eventhough Pakistan is under military rule, people enjoy full freedom of speach and press.
Just take any English newspaper and read the editorials and opinions whats been written about Pakistan and the politics to judge for yourself.
Never under a civil government did we enjoy such freedom before!

Law and order.
Well I can't remember when was the last time Paramilitary entered Karachi. Thats used to happen a lot under the last two civil goverments.
Balochistan will remain a problem for some time to come, some foreign elements are partly to blame for that aswell.

I could go on and on but I think you have a pretty good picture now how Pakistan is doing under Mush.

I love the guy, I love Pakistan!

:flag: :flag: :flag:

I will have to defer to you guys opinion. I have never been to Pakistan, so I cannot say I know ground reality 100%. You guys seem to be pretty convinced otherwise. So let me ask you, are guys like Kamran Safi ( Daily Times) overdoing the doomsday theme? Media here and even some media in Pakistan do the "gloom and doom" stuff often.

Yet, when I speak to my Pakistani buds here or my cousin Johnny, they say it's only partly true. Pakistan they say is a lot like Northern India.

here then is my final question: Please watch this video. Is driving in say Karachi anything like this? ( clip is Bombay)

Last edited by a moderator:
TexasJohn said:
here then is my final question: Please watch this video. Is driving in say Karachi anything like this? ( clip is Bombay)

[URL="

Much much much worse, thats nothing...:buck:, you have to see from your eyes to believe this.

Last edited by a moderator:
melb4aust said:
Much much much worse, thats nothing...:buck:, you have to see from your eyes to believe this.

esp when 2 buses race each other, so dangerous.

Neo said:

Mushy has done nothing new. Any leader would have sided with US under the pressure. The fact is a civilian leader would have taken a bit longer to convince his people to follow him. A military man does not care about Pakistanis.

Pakistans economy is better because of 911. Pakistan was one of the most sanctioned state starting from the end of Zia's rule to pre 911. 1998 fater nuclear tests was the worst period in our history in terms of sanctions.

After 9/11 our debts have been rescheduled meaning we still have to pay them back sooner or later. The economic boom that we are seeing is temporary, as we have just recently seen the worst crash in markets in our history.

Sigatoka said:
Pak. economy is growing at seven percent, during NS time people had written off Pak. as a back water crap hole. In relation to the common man, a rising tide lifts all boats. A growing economy is the surest way to end poverty.

It is a myth that dictators can do totally as they please, the president is also a politician. He can not alienate enough people strongly enough and then expect not to have forcefull action taken against him.

Secondly Pak. is a more conservative nation than the U.S., why doesnt U.S. close all the stripper bars? Secondly, Pak. is a diverse nation with competing regional, ethnic and sectarian views. If the president attempted to impose a single cultural view from Islamabad, it would add to the forces which seeks to rip the nation apart. After all the U.S. was almost ripped apart due to regional differences in the civil war. The Hudood laws are a domestic cultural issue and also about regional self determination. The central govt. trying to overide will not be a good move.

The Pak. is economy is growing @ 7%, approx twice the rate of the U.S., i dont know what you are going on about.

The Baluchi issue is simply a competition for rent, it is no coincidence that easily exploitable resources often lead to friction.

Ok just a simple question, How is our economy growing?

Back
Top Bottom