What's new

MQM - Political Desk

1986 NIshtar Park. MQM's first political rally. It is suggested more then a million people attended this rally.

MQM sadiqabad political worker who joined in 1996

MQM Lahore

BhrSISNCYAAP8SZ.jpg

Democracy.jpg

Democracy without Pakistan?
Posted by: Nehad Saleem March 1, 2014 in Point of View 1 Comment

Whenever a democratic Government fails to deliver, the slogans of 'Conspiracy against Democracy' are heard. It is unfortunate that Pakistan was ruled by Military dictators for decades and the democratic form of Government was left aside, but it is also very surprising that these eras delivered Pakistan the most. In fact, more norms of Democracy were executed by the dictators than the democratically elected Governments.

Today's crucial situation of Pakistan demands desperate measures. The survival of the country is at risk from on going Extremism and it requires immediate/effective policy to gain back power and writ of the Government in challenged areas of the country. On one side, the Government is totally confused after calling militants as stake holders and begging them to resolve issues through a dialogue, whereas on the other side, the militants are continuously targeting Armed forces, the Law Enforcement Agencies and civilians across the country and proudly claiming through our vibrant media.

With such situation prevailing in the country, the restlessness in the Ranks of the Armed Forces is justified. Armed Forces have sworn to protect this land of pure. When the threat to the very existence of the country arise and the Government fails to take any fruitful decision, the Armed Forces react and take the driving seat. These actions could be conspiracy for some failed democratic forces, but it totally justifies the POV of the Armed forces.

Today, the Nawaz led Government is acting like an Ostrich. Head deep in the ground, they are running away from the existing threats that awaits Pakistan. The capital of the country Islamabad and the financial hub Karachi are already declared as the war zone for the Extremist militants, the Taliban. The recent report of the Wall Street Journal claims that One Third of Karachi is now controlled by the banned Tehreek e Taliban Pakistan (TTP). These claims came at a time when a tough and surgical operation is underway in Karachi to maintain law and order.

The recent counter attacks of the Pakistan Air Force were termed as a 'reaction' to the attacks on the Army and paramilitary forces by the Government. It made it clear that the Army has made up it's mind to eliminate these extremists with force and end this growing chaos of TTP in the country. Whereas the Government is still confused over what decision to take. The National Security Policy doctrine announced by the Government is un-equipped with instant methods and strategies to counter terrorism within borders.

If the Government fails to take a decision soon and Army takes over to save the motherland, it will be justified. The democracy champs need to understand the theorem that Democracy is nothing without the existence of Pakistan. We can have this debate of which system is better later on when Pakistan's risk of sinking is being taken care of. The Government being the biggest ambassador of democracy needs to show some democratic values and perform according to the constitution. Under the constitution, there is no room for Negotiations with Anti state elements.

Bh-LQ70IYAAK_Rn.jpg

20140304-234854-625x330.jpg

The developing New World Order and Pakistan
Posted by: Danish Kazi March 5, 2014 in Off the Record Leave a comment

Its probably my first piece on international political influence on Pakistan. I strongly feel that with the developing situation. We soon might need to choose sides again and I hope that we choose the right ones this time. We don’t want to side with a situation that it would take a generation to correct our mistakes as currently we face in Pakistan for our past mistakes.

At the center we have a government whose forte might not be the global policy but it is clearly a regional political player for obvious reasons. It may be a blessing and at the same time might back fire as well depending on how our regional allies are aligned to which global partner emerges or re-emerge.

As I write this piece . Russians have started to sound the horn that they want to regain the lost position they had till the 90’s . After many years its current President Vladamir Putin who was a darling for the West until a few years ago is trying to stretch his muscles. Now it could be that he intend to create a distraction for keeping power for a few more years or it could be well possible that he has achieved monetarily and technologically for his armed forces where he feels that he can now confront the world powers left ruling the world after the fall of USSR; after decades of equal supremacy. Either ways his actions could have an out reaching effect.

Now I have been hearing that he might be not very certain about the military threat to the Ukraine but lets not forget that the regimes that Russia has backed i.e. in Libya and Syria have been either wiped out as in the case of the former and is struggling as in the case of the former. Now seeing the change of anti Russian government right at its border and that too backed by the United States might be too much for him to handle. I am sure they would not let this one slide in their back yard without a fight physical or diplomatic.

Now how does it impact Pakistan in my view. Finally, some force equal in size and capability is again getting up to confront the United States view of the world. So US knowing that no other nation holds the capability to hit its shores but Russia would now look towards the North to confront or contain the rising Russian threat. Means simply that they would need another war machine in the region of Middle East and South Asia to out source its battles. I am sure that whilst the US looks north. They would not want a situation that a gap is created for China to form a stronghold to access the warm waters of Arabian Sea and might add to their troubles.

At the same time whilst they would confront Iran on the diplomatic front. With Russia coming out open against United States . It could mean a bigger group of Nations who have been anti US lately or infact its (US’s) victims might look to Russia for the new big brother. I feel Hamid Karzai who has recently been snubbed by Barack Obama might think as well. I am not sure how the Talibans would react to this news but I am sure they would like to sit on a couch and watch this out.

Pakistan’s role becomes more strategic in my point of view as I feel that with the developing situation United States which was planning to pull out forces from Afghanistan would now like to continue holding its forces there to create a flanking strategy in case Russia becomes too over ambitious to challenge its writ. As I am sure the closest port giving them with land access is through Pakistan. Though Iran provides the same but I feel how much the US might want; Israel would never let that proximity happen. So the dependency on Pakistan is significant.

We heard the recent news that Saudi Arabia is in talks with the Pakistan government to send a few army divisions or a division to the Kingdom to safeguard their interest as they see the unrest simmering in the Eastern Province having proximity to Iran. With Bahrain still restless but under control. At the same time Syria and even Egypt in turmoil closer to their borders means a menacing situation for the rulers . Suddenly Saudi Arabia is feeling that they are in need to have more soldiers on the ground. With distrust on the United States on the ground there as some feel that the unrest in the East is because of the US itself. Fearing that it might create another wave of Al Qaeda type fighters if they look to the US again this time and with wars so close to their border. They know for sure that they would have to look to ancillary options like Pakistan; a brotherly state for the same purpose. I am sure this could be an amicable solution for all as US would now like to focus on Russia and as well at the same time with Iraqi oil under their control would not like to be embroiled in the Saudi issue as it might impact their relationship with the government in Iraq as they (Iraqi government) are now closer to Iran. US would like to out source this to the next best war machine with able bodied men in the region. Pakistan is that ideal fit.

So at the same time whilst I feel that the US is going no where from Afghanistan any time soon to not only keep a check on Russia but also fearing that if Karzai goes the Russian way . The block of Russian-Iran-Afghanistan could mean disaster for their interests in the region. So I feel dependency on Pakistan would increase and at the same time I am sure they would like to focus on one enemy at the time. Means either they would like to clean up the Taliban issue before Russian juggernaut wakes up completely or would like to have peace with Talibans. Now I am sure whilst US may for a moment gulp down their ego and drink to that with a big grin on the face. I doubt the radicals within Taliban would be forgiving and some might continue to fight . Again which means US needs to be closer to Pakistan as an ally to make sure that whilst they focus on Russia they are not attacked from the rear in form of Talibans.

It could be a possibility that Russian might enter an alliance with Talibans to avenge the US for their defeat in the late 80’s . I am sure that Talibans would have less trouble engaging with the Russians now as they are a religious state unlike the communists mindset they earlier had in the past as they were USSR.

So its time that Pakistan plays its cards well. I strongly feel that they should not be an easy ally for United States but should take severe advantage from the arising situation if it reaches that level and bargain properly. If I would be in the government . My first list of demand would be 5000 MW worth of Nuclear Power Facilities across the country. Second on the list would be Desalination Plants at the coast to ensure adequate water supplies for the future and Third to write off its loans by at least 50% . Last but not the least give us the F-16’s which never came as promised . Well I am sure there are more like health care etc but I am sure that our rulers are smart enough to ask otherwise.

I am sure they would all find an opportunity to become richer by selling themselves off. Maybe setting a steel mill in the US or may be in Russia if I am a Sharif. And if I am a Zardari . I would go for a dinner with Cate Blanchett followed by a castle in California. But I wish had it been Gen Pervez Musharraf. He could have negotiated it better. Now don’t tell me that he gave in 2001. He ensured that he get Pakistan bank rolled and at the same time contained the war and also remained with the wealth which he accumulated by serving the Pakistan Army as seen recently that not a single case of corruption has been discovered against him though the hounds chase him.

But lets see how it goes. The situation in Ukraine and its end would determine the future or else I would seem over optimistic after a few months if some one reads this piece. I feel that Ukraine issue can bring the balance to the force. At the same time I wish it reduces pressure on our mother land and serves better for us. Pakistan Zindabad!

Last edited:
ایم کیوایم کی رابطہ کمیٹی کی رکن سینیٹرنسرین جلیل کاوزیراعظم میاں محمدنوازشریف کے نام پانچ نکاتی خط
Posted on: 05/03/2014
ایم کیوایم کی رابطہ کمیٹی کی رکن سینیٹرنسرین جلیل کاوزیراعظم میاں محمدنوازشریف کے نام پانچ نکاتی خط
خطہ میں نسرین جلیل نے وزیراعظم کی توجہ وزیرستان سے ملک کے دوسروں صوبوں میں نکل مکانی
کرنیوالے خاندانوں کی طرف دلائی اوران کی آبادکاری کے حوالے سے تجاویزپیش کیں

کراچی:۔۔۔5، مارچ2014ء
متحدہ قومی موومنٹ کی رابطہ کمیٹی کی رکن سینیٹرنسرین جلیل نے وزیراعظم پاکستان میاں محمدنوازشریف کے نام پانچ نکات پرمشتمل ایک خط لکھاہے جس میں انہوں نے وزیراعظم پاکستان میاں محمدنوازشریف کی توجہ شمالی وزیرستان سے ملک کے دوسروں صوبوں میں نقل مکانی کرنیوالے افرادکی طرف دلائی ہے اورکہاہے کہ پاک افواج کی جوابی کارروائیوں کی وجہ سے وزیرستان سے بڑی تعدادمیں لوگ اپنے گھروں سے نقل مکانی کرکے ملک کے دوسرے صوبوں میں جارہے ہیں۔انہوں نے کہاکہ نقل مکانی کرنیوالے خاندانوں کی عارضی آباد کاری کی ذمہ داری حکومت پرعائدہوتی ہے تاہم یہ لمحہ فکریہ ہے کہ حکومت کے پاس نقل مکانی کرنے والے ان افرادکیلئے کوئی واضح پالیسی یاحکمت عملی موجودنہیں۔نسرین جلیل نے وزیراعظم میاں محمدنوازشریف کوتجاویزپیش کیں کہ نقل مکانی کرنیوالے تمام افراداورخاندانوں کی دوسرے شہروں میں منتقلی سے پہلے رجسٹریشن کرائی جائے تاکہ ان کوشناخت کیاجاسکے اورایسے تمام خاندانوں کوان کے آبائی علاقوں کے قریب ہی بسایاجائے۔تمام نقل مکانی کرنے والے افراداورخاندانوں کے بچوں کوتعلیم کی سہولیات دی جائیں اورانہیں مہلک بیماریوں مثلاً پولیو،ہیپاٹائٹس سی وغیرہ سے بچاؤکے ٹیکے بروقت لگائیں جائیں اوران کاباقاعدہ ریکارڈمرتب کیاجائے۔نسرین جلیل نے وزیراعظم کے نام اپنے خط میں کہاکہ اپنے آبائی علاقوں اور گھروں کو چھوڑنا انتہائی اذیت ناک عمل ہے لہٰذااس صورتحال میں تمام نقل مکانی کرنیوالے افراداورخاندانوں کی امدادکی جائے اوراس مسئلے کی سنگینی کو مدنظر رکھتے ہوئے مناسب حکمتِ عملی اختیارکی جائے۔​

Taliban’ haughtiness and government’s cowardice | Talha Khan

by Talha Khan
Where did the Taliban come from?
The myths about the Taliban need to be clarified. They are not an extension of an external threat, they are not being funded by Russia or India. In the 1990s, the Taliban in Afghanistan were fighting the Northern Alliance, and thousands of Pashtuns went to fight as foot soldiers on behalf of the Taliban. In 2001, the Afghan Taliban fled to Pakistan. Pakistani Taliban, who previously had little clout, became hosts of the Afghan Taliban and earned much money for their assistance. From 2001 to 2004, the Pakistani Taliban grew in numbers and influence and became radicalized because of their proximity to the Afghan Taliban. They planned and mobilized to establish a Taliban ‘emirate’ or state in Fata and the expansion of that idea of statehood is what we see happening today.

Pakistani Taliban Expanding

Taliban were launched in the era of PPP’s government in early 1990s, when Benazir Bhutto was the Prime Minister and Major General Naseerullah Khan Babar was the interior minister of Pakistan. The leadership of the Taliban is now in Pakistan and they have stated their intention of overthrowing the government here. The Taliban are linking up with groups in Pakistan and the Pakistani Taliban movement is turning into a multiethnic movement. Groups cultivated to fight in Kashmir have joined up with the Pakistani Taliban, and include Punjabis with organizations such as Lashkar-e-Taiba and Harkatul Mujahideen. Now, some 40 groups in Pakistan are loosely affiliated with the Pakistan – the several years of progressive diplomacy with India exacerbated the rise of different Taliban-affiliated factions. For that reason, Pakistan faces a more dangerous situation than Afghanistan, where Tajik and Uzbek fighters were not permitted to join the Afghan Taliban movement.

Issues in Pakistani governance

Pakistan is also weaker because of raging economic crises, the ongoing insurgency in Baluchistan, and a political crisis. The PMLN government has wasted one year vying with the Peace Talks game for power rather than tackling the Taliban threat. Meanwhile, PTI, which was supposed to serve as the face of Frontier province, has collapsed (PTI officials are often seen sympathizing with TTP).

After 2007/2008, when military operations did begin in Fata, the government pursued a stop-and-go policy, which involved several peace deals that did not hold. In the meantime, the Pakistan government and army failed to protect the people of the Fata and the traditional tribal hierarchies that were pro-Pakistan. About 300 Maliks of tribes were killed and by 2009, there were half a million refugees from Fata in Pakistan. Having lost the goodwill of the population in Fata, the government will find it hard to reenter the area and rebuild traditional tribal structures.

Peace-talk and Ceasefire

While addressing to the session of National Assembly after six month, Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif announced the peace talk with Taliban despite the attacks, naming a four-member committee to facilitate the peace talk.

Almost after a month of peace talk announcement Taliban militants claimed to have killed 23 FC soldiers and released their video message by saying “Despite the ongoing talks, the government and intelligence agencies are not serious about bringing peace to Pakistan,” said Omer Khurasani. “The government and intelligence agencies martyred our 23 comrades during this dialogue process. In response, we’ve killed the 23 FC personnel. We have also released the video of the 23 FC personnel.”

After that the military strikes continues on the militants’ hideouts in North Waziristan following the Taliban’s slaughtering of the FC soldiers and the recent attacks on the Security check posts. Air force jets have been pounding suspected terrorist camps since then, which also killed several militant commanders.

The Pakistani Taliban has announced that the group will observe a one-month ceasefire as part of efforts to negotiate a peace deal with the government. After the TTP ceasefire, Chaudhry Nisar, in consultation with the Prime Minister and the Chief of Army Staff General Raheel, formally announced the suspension of surgical strikes against the group.

Eleven people including a judge were killed on 3rd March 2014 in a gun and suicide bomb attack on a court in Islamabad. The Pakistani Taliban denied any connection to the attack, which came two days after the militants announced a month-long ceasefire aimed at restarting stalled peace talks with the government.

Ceasefire announcement and political parties’ response

The country’s major political factions except MQM and ANP welcoming the announcement of ceasefire by TTP have termed it as positive and result-oriented step. Two major political parties ANP and MQM have slightly hinted doubts over the intentions of TTP.

The Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) chief Altaf Hussain demanded “a full and thorough” investigation into the attacks on Islamabad District and Sessions Court.“Although an unknown group Ahrar-ul-Hind has claimed the responsibility of the attacks, a majority of the Pakistanis believe this is a fake organisation and these attacks were carried out by Taliban. Taliban do not want to take the blame for the attacks,” Altaf Hussain said in a statement.

Muttahida Quami Movement (MQM) held a big rally in Karachi to show solidarity with the Pakistan army, rangers and police who are fighting Taliban militants.

MQM staged a large rally in Karachi to show its Solidarity with Defenders of Pakistan against Taliban

Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly Syed Khursheed Shah said that“Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) made a fool out of the federal government by announcing a fake ceasefire to enter Islamabad.”

The Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) chairman Imran Khan has said that the United States does not want peace in Pakistan, adding that the US is backing the organisations which are against Pakistan.“US does not want peace in Pakistan until they withdraw their forces from Afghanistan,” Khan said. He added “A full-scale operation would have resulted in more destruction and the death of innocent people.”

Sunni Tehreek shout slogans as they demand a military operation against Taliban, during a protest rally in Lahore

Regional strategy

We Pakistanis are very concerned about the state of our homeland. We want to send a very clear message to all state institutions that we say NO to the Talibanisation. Under no circumstances, can the sovereignty of Pakistan be attacked in this way. This applies also to the constant drone attacks that are taking place. We urge the democratically elected Government to fulfill their duty and follow the will of the people. The will of the people is for the Government to enforce the writ of the state throughout the country, in all provinces. Rule of law applies to all, not just to some.

Action must be taken against the Taliban.

Originally published on Pakistan Tribe.

صحرائے تھرمیں خشک سالی سے غذائی قلت اوروبائی امراض پھیلنے سے اموات میں ہوشرباء اضافے پررابطہ کمیٹی کااظہارتشویش
Posted on: 06/03/2014​
صحرائے تھرمیں خشک سالی سے غذائی قلت اوروبائی امراض پھیلنے سے اموات میں ہوشرباء اضافے پررابطہ کمیٹی کااظہارتشویش
صحرائے تھرمیں خشک سالی کے باعث غذائی قلت اوروبائی بیماریوں پرقابوپانے کیلئے ہنگامی بنیادوں پراقدامات کیے جائیں،رابطہ کمیٹی
تھرمیں زیرزمین پانی کی سطح گرجانے سے خشک سالی نے سنگین صورتحال اختیارکرلی ہے
حکومت کی جانب سے صحرائے تھرمیں قیمتی جانوں کے بچاؤاوروبائی بیماریوں پرقابوپانے کیلئے کسی قسم کے اقدامات دیکھنے میں نہیںآرہے
تھرمیں غذائی قلت پرقابوپانے اوروبائی امراض کاشکاربچوں کی جانیں بچانے کیلئے ہنگامی صورتحال نافذ کی جائے،رابطہ کمیٹی کاحکومت سے مطالبہ

کراچی:۔۔۔14فروری2014ء
متحدہ قومی موومنٹ کی رابطہ کمیٹی نے صحرائے تھرمیں خشک سالی کے باعث غذائی قلت پرگہری تشویش کااظہارکیاہے اورصحرائے تھرمیں وبائی امراض پھیلنے سے معصوم بچوں کی ہلاکت پردلی رنج وغم کا اظہارکرتے ہوئے حکومت وقت سے مطالبہ کیاہے کہ صحرائے تھرمیں خشک سالی کے باعث غذائی قلت اوروبائی بیماریوں پرقابوپانے کیلئے ہنگامی بنیادوں پراقدامات کیے جائیں۔ ایک بیان میں رابطہ کمیٹی نے صحرائے تھرمیں زیرزمین پانی کی سطح گرجانے سے خشک سالی نے سنگین صورتحال اختیارکرلی ہے جس کے باعث صحرائے تھرکے عوام کونہ صرف غذائی قلت کا سامناہے بلکہ وبائی امراض پھیلنے سے تھرمیں اموات میں خطرناک حدتک اضافہ ہوگیاہے اورلوگ بیراجی علاقوں کی جانب نقل مکانی پرمجبورہیں۔رابطہ کمیٹی نے کہاکہ اس سے قبل بھی صحرائے تھرمیں وبائی امراض پھیلنے کی وجہ سے سینکڑوں مور،ہرن،بھیڑیں اوراونٹ ہلاک ہوچکے ہیں اوروبائی بیماریوں نے معصوم بچوں کوبھی اپنی لپیٹ میں لے لیاہے۔رابطہ کمیٹی نے کہاکہ صحرائے تھر کی صورتحال سنگین صورت اختیارکرچکی ہے اور اموات میں اضافہ ہورہاہے جبکہ حکومت بے حسی کامظاہرہ کررہی ہے اوراس کی جانب سے صحرائے تھرمیں قیمتی جانوں کے ضیائع اوروبائی بیماریوں کی روک تھام کیلئے کسی قسم کے اقدامات دیکھنے میں نہیںآرہے جس کی جتنی بھی مذمت کی جائے کم ہے۔رابطہ کمیٹی نے جاں بحق ہونیوالے معصوم بچوں کے والدین اوردیگرسوگوار لواحقین سے دلی تعزیت وہمدردی کااظہار کیا اور حکومت سے مطالبہ کیاکہ تھرمیں غذائی قلت پرقابوپانے اوروبائی امراض کاشکاربچوں کی قیمتی جانیں بچانے کیلئے ہنگامی صورتحال نافذ کی جائے ۔

حق پرست سینیٹرز کے وفد کی اسلام آباد میں فضاء ملک شہید کے والدین سے ملاقات
Posted on: 06/03/2014​
حق پرست سینیٹرز کے وفد کی اسلام آباد میں فضاء ملک شہید کے والدین سے ملاقات
وفد میں سینیٹربابرخان غوری، سینیٹر محترمہ نسرین جلیل، سینیٹر شرالہ ملک ،سینیٹر طاہر مشہدی اورسینیٹر حسیب خان شامل تھے
وفد نے قائد ایم کیوایم الطاف حسین کی جانب سے سوگوارلواحقین کو تعزیت کا پیغام پہنچایا
جواں سال صاحبزادی کی شہادت کا صدمہ یقیناًآپ کے لئے ناقابل فراموش ہے، حق پرست سینیٹرز
فضاء ملک شہید کے والدین نے اظہار تعزیت پر جناب الطاف حسین اور حق پرست سینیٹرز کا شکریہ ادا کیا

اسلام آباد۔۔۔6، مارچ2014ء
متحدہ قومی موومنٹ کے سینٹرز کے ایک وفد نے جمعرات کی شام اسلام آبادکچہری میں دہشت گردوں کی فائرنگ سے شہید ہونے والی جواں سال قانون داں فضاء ملک کی رہائش گاہ واقع بارہ کہوہ جاکرانکے والدین اور دیگر سوگواران سے ملاقات کی اور قائد تحریک جناب الطاف حسین کی جانب سے دلی تعزیت وہمدردی کااظہار کیا۔ وفد میں سینیٹ میں ایم کیوایم کے پارلیمانی لیڈر سینیٹربابرخان غوری، سینیٹر محترمہ نسرین جلیل، سینیٹر شرالہ ملک ،سینیٹر طاہر مشہدی اورسینیٹر حسیب خان شامل تھے ۔ وفد کے ارکان نے فضاء ملک کی شہادت پر سوگوارلواحقین کوقائد تحریک جناب الطاف حسین کی جانب سے دلی تعزیت کا پیغام پہنچایا۔ وفد کے ارکان نے سوگوارلواحقین سے دلی تعزیت کااظہارکرتے ہوئے کہاکہ جواں سال ہونہار صاحبزادی کی شہادت کا صدمہ یقیناًآپ کے لئے ناقابل فراموش ہے لیکن اللہ تعالیٰ کی مرضی کے آگے انسان بے بس ہے لہٰذا آپ صبرکریں ، انشاء اللہ سفاک قاتلوں پر اللہ کا عذاب نازل ہوگا۔ وفد کے ارکان نے فضاء ملک شہیدکے والدین کو یقین دلایا کہ دکھ کی اس گھڑی میں ایم کیوایم کے تمام کارکنان اور عوام آپ کے غم میں برابر کے شریک ہیں ۔ وفد کے ارکان کچھ دیر تک سوگوارلواحقین کے ساتھ رہے اور انہوں نے فضاء ملک شہید کے ایصال ثواب کیلئے فاتحہ خوانی بھی کی۔ فضاء ملک شہید کے والدین نے اظہار تعزیت پر جناب الطاف حسین اور حق پرست سینیٹرز کا شکریہ ادا کیا ۔

Back
Top Bottom