What's new

MQM decides to boycott NA-250 re-polls

Rizwan Alam

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
KARACHI: After the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) maintained its decision to hold re-elections in selected polling stations of NA-250 on Friday, the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) said it will boycott the re-polling.
Addressing a press conference in Karachi, MQM leader Raza Haroon said that after the ECP rejected the MQM’s request to hold re-elections in the entire NA-250 constituency instead of selected polling stations, the party was within its rights to boycott the elections.
“MQM reject’s ECP’s decision to conduct re-polls in only 43 polling stations.”
Haroon said that the party will be raising the matter in every competent forum. “After today’s meeting, when ECP rejected our request, we reject their decision.“
Earlier, MQM leader Wasay Jalil told the media at a press conference on Friday evening that the party leadership in London and Karachi was currently consulting legal and constitutional experts on the matter.
“The first session of consultations has ended and once we come to decision we will announce that.”
Jalil said that a decision is expected later on Friday.
Raza Haroon added that the matter was about the public’s right to vote and re-enforcing the faith in voting. “The ECP should have looked at the larger interest of the people.”
“This was a golden opportunity for the ECP to demonstrate to the people that while they could not conduct flawless elections everywhere, they could have conducted exemplary elections in NA-250.”
Of their consultations, Haroon said that they are currently looking at all options.
Earlier on Friday, the ECP had rejected the Muttahida Qaumi Movement’s (MQM) request to conduct re-polling in the entire constituency of NA-250 Karachi.

MQM decides to boycott NA-250 re-polls – The Express Tribune

They know they can't win in these 43 polling stations so why not boycott it or else media and everyone will be saying MMQ lost to PTI.Good decision next time they should boycott elections that will make sure the mess is not there any more.

Pathetic decision by ECP ... Why should be poll again in whole NA 250 ....... This is right decision by MQM..............
All polling stations were infacted ...........

599300_10200201431691522_62712598_n.jpg

Give PTI mandate in Karachi so they have the opportunity to perform in the city.

offcourse they did... with army , media , int media etc etc they cant rigg election so by boycotting they are hiding truth which is they will loose big time in reelection.

Being a person who lived all his life in Karachi and know localiy of NA-250 and is a enrolled voter in NA-250. This particular seat was going to be a tough cookie from the start. I refuse to accept that PTI would had done the clean sweep here and i refuse to believe that MQM would had done a clean sweep here, both these parties are forgetting hard core vote of PPP is also there.

I personally think MQM is right in what they are saying but boycott is throwing away the seat without any competition.

Last i heard MQM was leaving by around 8000 votes, 58k to around 50k ... PTI has taken MQM by surprise if you ask me

No need to beg MQM. They have had enough. Their mandate is disproportionate. No wonder they have boycotted.

If MQM is so genuine and its mandate is so overwhelming, it should contest the election. But it know when army will be both inside and outside the polling stations, its goons will not be able to do badmaashi of which they have been used to for past 3 decades.

Back
Top Bottom