What's new

Mother tongue first

@Armstrong, i didn not make a mistake in learning urdu right as people on this thread are giving mixed responses. How come only 6.8% people have urdu as first langue, i thought urdu dominated the pakistanaise society as far as sociel hiarchey similar to francaise here :).

Last edited by a moderator:
India is not the qibla for all Pakistanis... may be for a certain sect.

Pakistan.. shall not only continue in English but also introduce Arabic from first class.

Shah say Zayada Shah kay wafadaar

@Armstrong, i didn not make a mistake in learning urdu right as people on this thread are giving mixed responses. How come only 6.8% people have urdu as first langue, i thought urdu dominated the pakistanaise society as far as sociel hiarchey similar to francaise here :).

Dude is Urdu is our Lingua Franca (common tongue), our Official & National Language but otherwise, for most of us, Urdu isn't our mother tongue - We've got our own languages that we've spoken long before Urdu was ever born ! :agree:

So most Pakistanis are multilingual ! I can, for example, converse in Urdu, English & Punjabi ! My Dad on the other hand can speak Urdu, English, Punjabi, Saraiki, Pashto, French, Persian & some Hindko ! His Dad (my Grandpa) was fluent in Urdu, English, Punjabi, Saraiki, Pashto, Hindko, Gojri, Arabic, Persian, German & Wakhi & broken Sanskrit !

BTW, I understand that the Arabic of today is quite different from the "classical Arabic" of Quran and that even the current native Arabs can't understand Quran fully.

Is that true?

It's just like the Many Urdu speakers can not comprehend the Urdu Iqbaal used in his poetry.

Urdu is the first language of majority of Muhajirs. Its native to North India particularly Uttar Pradesh.

Dude is Urdu is our Lingua Franca (common tongue), our Official & National Language but otherwise, for most of us, Urdu isn't our mother tongue - We've got our own languages that we've spoken long before Urdu was ever born ! :agree:
hmm, good to know that urdu is here to stay and likewise my extended familie must be in the 6.8% that speak it as first langue. Still 6.8% damn, I can already see this being like francaise here let me guess, where people with good proficiency in urdu get better government jobs eh!..

Urdu is the first language of majority of Muhajirs. Its native to North India particularly Uttar Pradesh.

interesting enough, my gramps and extended familie migrated from a la uttar pradesh and most of them went to Uganda and from there Canada but some decided to stay in a port city called karachie. So this is probably the reason that they can speak urdu still as first langue even though stats reflect 6.8%.

hmm, good to know that urdu is here to stay and likewise my extended familie must be in the 6.8% that speak it as first langue. Still 6.8% damn, I can already see this being like francaise here let me guess, where people with good proficiency in urdu get better government jobs eh!..

No..no such requirement exists - People who score higher on the Civil Services Exam (which is in English but with a separate Languages portion) get the better jobs !

Dude Urdu is a part & parcel of who were now because for the vast majority of us there is no other language that we can communicate with each other in but baring that its not as if Urdu is some kind of a Holy Language for us - Its our common tongue & thats it !

No..no such requirement exists - People who score higher on the Civil Services Exam (which is in English but with a separate Languages portion) get the better jobs !

Dude Urdu is a part & parcel of who were now because for the vast majority of us there is no other language that we can communicate with each other in but baring that its not as if Urdu is some kind of a Holy Language for us - Its our common tongue & thats it !

Sorry taking your precious time with my amateur question parceque well you learn something new everyday eh. Armstrong until then , this is my familie gift to you lols, a whole years worth of supply!

hashmi_family.JPG

I come from the most funniest familie on this earth tsk,tsk,tsk,

interesting enough, my gramps and extended familie migrated from a la uttar pradesh and most of them went to Uganda and from there Canada but some decided to stay in a port city called karachie. So this is probably the reason that they can speak urdu still as first langue even though stats reflect 6.8%.

Urdu is one of the 22 official languages of India and many states of India has Urdu with official status. Even Sindhi language is one of the official languages of India.

Hindi and Urdu are identical as spoken language. Hindi literature prefer Sanskrit vocabulary avoiding Persian words while Urdu uses more Persian-Arabic vocabulary than the spoken language. Because of Bollywood majority of North Indians know High Urdu language to some extent.

copied a part from an article, bohat gehri baat ki gai he,

"A language is much more than a medium of communication. A language carries with it teachings, idioms and wisdom which are passed on from generation to generation. When we deprive children of a mother tongue, we rob them the wisdom that is only accessible through knowing a language at a mother tongue level and cannot be translated or explained in another language without compromising the meaning
@SHAMK9
I consider Urdu my mother tongue, jeezz, let it go already yar.

@Monkey D Luffy : I was thinking the same thing a while ago !

Why not make the medium of instruction in the majority language in a particular district (not province) & in those districts where you've got a significant linguistic minority have Urdu instead or have those districts demarcated on linguistic lines & then provide education in (say!) Pashto on one side of the line & in (say!) Saraiki on the other !

Let Urdu be the Lingua Franca & that all are supposed to be proficient in it as Urdu as a Second Language ! So that whatever research paper you write, whatever article you write for public consumption & so on & so forth for the rest - You ensure that, if it is to be published, you come up with a mandatory Urdu translation of your original work !

Or we could replace Urdu with English as our Lingua Franca ! I was even thinking of the possibility of us looking into Koranic Arabic (the Qureshi dialect) as our Lingua Fraca.

But imparting education in one's mother tongue is based on very sound logic & should be looked into....!

What do you think - @Aeronaut @Abu Zolfiqar @Talon @Dillinger @Secur @AstanoshKhan @Leader @Spring Onion @JonAsad @A.Rafay @Marshmallow

The trouble is nobody wants to do the actual dirty work...
Who will write text books in Regional language?

Back
Top Bottom