What's new

Mother faces 5-year prison term for throwing slipper at 38-year-old son

-SINAN-

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Turkey

Şenay Güzel holding the slipper that was considered a weapon. (DHA Photo)

A 63-year old mother may face with a five-year-long prison sentence for throwing a plastic slipper at her 38-year-old son, who filed a complaint to the police even though she missed the target.

During a heated argument in her home in Honaz district of southwestern Denizli province on March 13, Şenay Güzel threw her slippers at her son, Hasan Güzel. 38-year-old Güzel went to a local police station in response and filed a complaint.

The public prosecutor launched an investigation upon the complaint and prepared a criminal charge regarding the case, in which he sought imprisonment from two to five years for attempted actual bodily harm in line with the Turkish Penal Code. The criminal charge was accepted by the 6th Criminal Court of General Jurisdiction.

Şenay Güzel stated that she did not know slippers were considered as weapons. "I threw my slipper, because my son insulted me. It didn't even hit him. If I had known that slippers count as weapons, I wouldn't have thrown them. And what if this slipper hit someone, it wouldn't even hurt. Is there any mother who does not throw slippers at her child while angry at them?" she said.

Hasan Ozan Orpak, Şenay Güzel's lawyer said that they were impatiently waiting for the ruling. "From now on, mothers should think twice before throwing slippers. We don't know if every slipper throwing mother will be tried now. But if a complaint is filed, why not? These mothers may be sentenced to prison from two to five years."

http://www.dailysabah.com/nation/20...-term-for-throwing-slipper-at-38-year-old-son

Şenay Güzel holding the slipper that was considered a weapon. (DHA Photo)

A 63-year old mother may face with a five-year-long prison sentence for throwing a plastic slipper at her 38-year-old son, who filed a complaint to the police even though she missed the target.

During a heated argument in her home in Honaz district of southwestern Denizli province on March 13, Şenay Güzel threw her slippers at her son, Hasan Güzel. 38-year-old Güzel went to a local police station in response and filed a complaint.

The public prosecutor launched an investigation upon the complaint and prepared a criminal charge regarding the case, in which he sought imprisonment from two to five years for attempted actual bodily harm in line with the Turkish Penal Code. The criminal charge was accepted by the 6th Criminal Court of General Jurisdiction.

Şenay Güzel stated that she did not know slippers were considered as weapons. "I threw my slipper, because my son insulted me. It didn't even hit him. If I had known that slippers count as weapons, I wouldn't have thrown them. And what if this slipper hit someone, it wouldn't even hurt. Is there any mother who does not throw slippers at her child while angry at them?" she said.

Hasan Ozan Orpak, Şenay Güzel's lawyer said that they were impatiently waiting for the ruling. "From now on, mothers should think twice before throwing slippers. We don't know if every slipper throwing mother will be tried now. But if a complaint is filed, why not? These mothers may be sentenced to prison from two to five years."

http://www.dailysabah.com/nation/20...-term-for-throwing-slipper-at-38-year-old-son

What nonsense. Mother has all the right to treat the way she like to her son or daughters because she loves them most. 5 Years of punishment for simply throwing slipper. My father very often insults me and humiliates me.

This is utterly nonsense. Can somebody vouch for the authenticity of source or else the thread will be striked down

"I threw my slipper, because my son insulted me. It didn't even hit him. If I had known that slippers count as weapons, I wouldn't have thrown them. And what if this slipper hit someone, it wouldn't even hurt. Is there any mother who does not throw slippers at her child while angry at them?" she said.

I am with you Aunt .............. my mother can still beat me with Sooti (stick) and I will happily take the beating.

If this story is correct as it's said ( which i don't believe it to be like) then i feel really sorry for that son who went to police station against her own mother

I can vouch for this story, the newspapers are some of the most popular in Turkey

Thanks to European legislation. Under old laws it would be impossible to press charges against your mother because she threw a slipper towards you.

Back
Top Bottom