What's new

Most technologically advanced European country

Which one?

• Total voters

Fear of Flying - Research - SOAR

Note the presence of 3 Russian aircraft at the bottom of the list, and none at the top. All the Russian planes are >=1 crash per million miles flown. Note also the numbers built - the top of the list (properly) have way more built, and way more than Russia altogether. The highest placing Russian plan is at #14. The break between 13 and 14 is double the crash rate - e.g. 13 crashes half as often as 14.

My personal favorite IL-76 video is from Australia:
Does not inspire confidence.

Tu-144 had 16 built, with 105 scheduled flights total, for maybe 1 million miles (probably a lot less), with 2 crashes (at an airshow demonstration, and during a pre-delivery test flight, none during scheduled flights)
Concorde had 20 built (14 for airline service) and 1 crash. Can't find numbers on total miles, but one source suggests a crash rate about 18 times that of the late-model 747s, making it statistically quite unsafe.

Thinking about it a bit more, this does not account for maintenance practices - you could theorize that Russian practice is just much worse, or that people that own Russian airliners are irresponsible, but it won't look good for Russia (the primary operator) anyhow. So, for purposes of this discussion, I think the numbers are reasonable data.

Last edited:
Its Germany (Probably most Undermined Military force Presently A Sleeping Giant)

The question is whether the German people can remove the shackles that have been placed on her military. The Bundeswehr is , unfortunately, an emaciated version of its progenitor, the Wehrmacht.

didn't vote cause im not sure, but I just have a feeling its Germany, either that or Russia, can be wrong though

Russia in military tech ,heavy industrial ,nuclear and rocket/space tech.

Germany in automotive,heavy industrial,engineering tech.

Fear of Flying - Research - SOAR

Note the presence of 3 Russian aircraft at the bottom of the list, and none at the top. All the Russian planes are >=1 crash per million miles flown. Note also the numbers built - the top of the list (properly) have way more built, and way more than Russia altogether. The highest placing Russian plan is at #14. The break between 13 and 14 is double the crash rate - e.g. 13 crashes half as often as 14.

My personal favorite IL-76 video is from Australia:
Does not inspire confidence.

Tu-144 had 16 built, with 105 scheduled flights total, for maybe 1 million miles (probably a lot less), with 2 crashes (at an airshow demonstration, and during a pre-delivery test flight, none during scheduled flights)
Concorde had 20 built (14 for airline service) and 1 crash. Can't find numbers on total miles, but one source suggests a crash rate about 18 times that of the late-model 747s, making it statistically quite unsafe.

Thinking about it a bit more, this does not account for maintenance practices - you could theorize that Russian practice is just much worse, or that people that own Russian airliners are irresponsible, but it won't look good for Russia (the primary operator) anyhow. So, for purposes of this discussion, I think the numbers are reasonable data.

Tu-144 was a supersonic. So it should be comparable with concorde. Not 747. with 747 compare an-124 or an-225

Germany has pipped USA as a world's numero uno exporter - This should tell you some, that the world wants German products more than any other nation = Benz/BMW maker has quality and quantity to satisfy the world.

And its just not a "one night stand" ....Its a life long vow = "I do" :)

No wonder they have world cup in their pocket after kicking Pakistani balls :)

was a supersonic. So it should be comparable with concorde. Not 747. with 747
Tu-144 was a supersonic. So it should be comparable with concorde. Not 747. with 747 compare an-124 or an-225

I have the Tu-144 right beside the Concorde. Both have very short records, with relatively few hours flown. Concorde had one crash, Tu-144 had two. Concorde had more total hours (by a substantial margin), but it's one wreck was with a full load of passengers, whereas the Tu-144 crashes were both in a non-airline capacity.

I compare the 747 because it serviced similar long-distance routes. Therefore, take-offs and landings between the two are a good substitute for miles traveled (but not passenger-miles, as the 747 capacity is far higher). So, if your trying to compare accidents per mile flown, it gives a point of comparison.

While both aircraft were innovative, neither aircraft is significant in the overall history of airlines, on a passenger-mile basis. They're safety records are comparable - very poor on a miles-traveled basis. I included them to circumvent the argument that "Russian tech is way better (see the Tu-144)". It is not way better, arguable considerably worse than Concorde (which was a British-French collaboration). And, Concorde was much worse that the 747 (which was on the main source I listed). The 747 looks worse than it deserves, as the single worst wreck had nothing to do with the tech of the planes, and everything to do with a series of human errors. (Terenife 77, very interesting crash in terms of all the things that led up to it, see Wiki for details - it spawned Crew Resource Management that is required in all airlines today, and led to standardization of terminology)

The An-124/225 and relations compare better to the C-5 than the 747, albeit there is a B747 that is similar as well. I limited comparisons to only large passenger airliners for simplicity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom