What's new

Most popular watches

Or you can ask @Syed.Ali.Haider if he is kind enough to buy from ebay/ ads and send it to you from the u.s:-)

ebay is not shipping good deals on watches to pak -- syed might buy it in the u.s and parcel the watch to you

I have posted the most popular models of these companies. I have not taken into consideration the cost [although I've tried not to go above 10k] , resale value or the total number of watches you want in your watch collection. Some people buy same type of watch from different companies, whereas others try to get one good watch from all categories.
Just so people are not confused, it is 10k $ :)
It roughly translates into 1,000,000, i guess most people will be more interested in buying a Mehran or a used Vitz :P :D Both have an internal watch so you will be able to tell the till as well.

On a serious note, thank you for the details. You do seem to be a serious collector. I am not much inot this thing, just asked you for this nice informative post. Thanks. You have explained the details well and anyone who is so serious about his watches will surely find it useful.

Also i will like to mention to the other members here that @Manticore mentioned "the minimum cost of a good watch that you can pass on to your kids is 3-4k dollars new/used. "
YES, that you can pass on to your children. It is at that level, we are talking about heritage here so the money is worth it, IF you are into such things.

For others, like me, go look for a cool looking watch that costs you 20000 30000 RS, may be even 40-50k and that is it. It is good enough for your life time and that is what we care about!! any preferences in that category as well or you into collectables only? @Manticore :)

Or you can ask @Syed.Ali.Haider if he is kind enough to buy from ebay/ ads and send it to you from the u.s:-)

FYI, I did not get an alert for this mention.

There are several categories... chronographs, swimming, gmt, formal, daily beater etc---
It all boils down to if you want several watches from only one category, one good watch from every category or
one good watch from all of the top 10 companies.

a] Do you want just 1 watch for all occasions?
Look no further than rolex explorer1 or rolex datejust ..
Tudor Heritage Ranger is a poor mans expl1.
Omega's small railmaster is out of production.You might be able to get away with omega aqua terra.
If you will buy only one watch in your lifetime, then dont get the tudor, get the rolex exp1.....
Grand seiko doesnt have that much brand recognition however they make a lot of watches in this category

b] In terms of swimming watches, blancpain fifty fathoms and rolex submariner/sea dweller are on top.
Blancpain is only known for 1 model in its watch line.. the fifty fathoms... Like AP[part of the holy trinity AP/VC/PP, which is only known for royal oak.. however we are not talking about the holy trinity in this thread.]
Tudor Black bay and omega seamaster are the options on a 'relative' budget. Under 1k dive watches, no one can beat seiko's quality

c] In terms of GMTs, rolex takes the lead with the big pan-am pepsi or batman gmt2.
Second option at half the cost is again a rolex... the explorer2... which is a cross between explorer1 and gmt2.After that you have the omega seamaster gmt and the seiko spring drive gmt

d] In terms of chronographs... omega speed master pro- moon watch manual is probably the best watch..most collectors start from this watch as this is the best in its category but its not the costliest.
Below it is the rolex daytona,zenth el-premero and iwc portuguese.. below that tag monaco.. below that tag cerara, omega speedmaster reduced automatic and omega speedmaster mark2

e] Ive posted several aviator/pilot watches-- I think navitimer is good. In a situation of equal indifference, go for the cheapest of the three

f] In the formal category omega de ville, jlc master control, jlc reverso or thin moon phase . Rolex datejust need to be mentioned here again.

g] The rolex milgaus is a good anti magnetic watch for engineers

e] My daily beater is a grand carera

f] Do you care more about horology than cost/resale value?

If you want to buy horlogical watches but cant afford new, then look at the sold list at ebay to judge its used price range-- however in pak, this is a pain. Reverso, fifty-fathoms are some examples --- the great thing is, in pak no one knows of them--i like this understated approach when i wear my jlc

COST
The minimum cost of a good watch that you can pass on to your kids is 3-4k dollars new/used. These watches rarely have sales

However luxury watches start from speedmaster pro- moon watch. You cant go wrong with it. Some of the watches of brietling, longines and tudor cost less than the speedy... however that is still substantial money [around 2k] and should be saved to get a watch like speedy in my view

If you cant do that, then wait for annual sales ads etc on tag, remond weil, fredrique constant, nomos, tissot, hamilton to get a watch at 50% off brand new at 1k mark. I think its been a year since i wore my carera and the 1887. I would call them as fashion / disposable watches as they depreciate more than 50% on day1 of your shopping

If you just want a basic decent watch, get the tag calibre7 twin time-slightly above 1k. There are 2 offical dealers in lahore...in december last year i was on the verge of buying it but ended up buying fredrque constant's moon phase

I think you are from lahore-- check the international watch company building in gulberg.They dont carry omega/rolex. You can also check mall of lahore building or shops on m.m.alam rd. Or you can ask @Syed.Ali.Haider if he is kind enough to buy from ebay and sent it to you from the u.s:-)

Fine watches such as these are like fine jewelry, with tastes, appreciation (and prices) to match. :D

It roughly translates into 1,000,000, i guess most people will be more interested in buying a Mehran or a used Vitz :P :D Both have an internal watch so you will be able to tell the till as well.

On a serious note, thank you for the details. You do seem to be a serious collector. I am not much inot this thing, just asked you for this nice informative post. Thanks. You have explained the details well and anyone who is so serious about his watches will surely find it useful.

Also i will like to mention to the other members here that @Manticore mentioned "the minimum cost of a good watch that you can pass on to your kids is 3-4k dollars new/used. "
YES, that you can pass on to your children. It is at that level, we are talking about heritage here so the money is worth it, IF you are into such things.

For others, like me, go look for a cool looking watch that costs you 20000 30000 RS, may be even 40-50k and that is it. It is good enough for your life time and that is what we care about!! any preferences in that category as well or you into collectables only? @Manticore :)

Some like to look at their fine watch to tell the time as others look on in envy, many more are happy looking at a nice Casio clone that is probably just as accurate to tell the time. To each his/her own, I suppose. :D

Some like to look at their fine watch to tell the time as others look on in envy, many more are happy looking at a nice Casio clone that is probably just as accurate to tell the time. To each his/her own, I suppose. :D
In case you have not noticed, the mobile phone also have a feature that enables it to tell time, quite accurately in fact :P

@Skull and Bones @Manticore
Most of the time I wear a fit bit, I have a couple of citizen eco drives and few diesels, but thats about it nothing expensivo. Every time I think of fine craftsmanship that costs more than a 1000 bucks, inadvertently a Handgun comes to mind instead of a watch. :)
Lol, True!!
As said above, to each his own.

But i do appreciate all this info really, good for people who are into this as a hobby you may say.

If you like any of the watches from
tag, remond weil, fredrique constant, nomos, tissot, hamilton, swiss army, victoriknox , seiko in your price range at your nearest shop-- you can take a pic/model number .. and take our advice

tag, remond weil, fredrique constant, nomos, tissot, hamilton, swiss army, victoriknox , seiko in your price range at your nearest shop-- you can take a pic/model number .. and take our advice
If and when i plan to go for it, i sure will consult you. :)
Thanks!

The most expensive watch I ever considered buying - and ended up deciding against it.

052.JPG

I for one have always believed that "Expensive do not necessarily means better/best"
Quite a researches when it comes to getting products with high value for money, i consider myself quite good at it. So these ultra expensive mobiles wont ever attract me, really.
Just to explain, while most people will like to add a few bucks to the purchase prices of the items they are showing to there friends, i always take extra pride in stating/telling how i got this for relatively low prices due to all that market research and tough bargain :lol:

Arent the docs loaded in the u.s? I bet you have a gold daytona on your wrist:-)

Those in private practices might be, I am just a teacher at a University. On my wrist is an old Bulova, nothing fancy, but precious to me as it was gifted to me by my son.

I for one have always believed that "Expensive do not necessarily means better/best"
Quite a researches when it comes to getting products with high value for money, i consider myself quite good at it. So these ultra expensive mobiles wont ever attract me, really.
Just to explain, while most people will like to add a few bucks to the purchase prices of the items they are showing to there friends, i always take extra pride in stating/telling how i got this for relatively low prices due to all that market research and tough bargain :lol:

Ah yes, the value strategy of buying consumer goods. I agree! :D

Those in private practices might be, I am just a teacher at a University. On my wrist is an old Bulova, nothing fancy, but precious to me as it was gifted to me by my son.

Ah yes, the value strategy of buying consumer goods. I agree! :D
In my line of work, not just consumer good :P

In my line of work, not just consumer good :P

I understand, but please do keep in mind that some people derive great pleasure from owning fine watches, and that pleasure adds enough value to them to justify the expense.

Back
Top Bottom