What's new

More of world's poor live in India : Guardian/UN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe if Indians stopped trolling all the time, people would stop posting this stuff.

Cause and effect.
the kind of people we have in this place no matter wat u do india will be a land of the scum,kafirs and the "bharati's"....so no use of using this arguement

the kind of people we have in this place no matter wat u do india will be a land of the scum,kafirs and the "bharati's"....so no use of using this arguement

Yup! same as Pakistan has been a "sole producer" and "hub" of terrorism.. isn't it? grow up!

So you sing your mantra, and we'll sing our songs..

This has been debated many times.

It's simple as this. 16 years back i went to India for the first time and had the biggest culture shock of my life. Poverty everywhere, really dirty, bad stench, badly developed buildings and roads . We planned our trip for 4 weeks but it was cut short to 2 weeks because i was having the worst fever and diarrhea in my life due to food poisoning from all the un-hygienic food around. I vowed never to go back there.

This year, i went for the 2nd time and voila. India has really improved since that 16 years. Huge, huge improvement. Sure poverty was still around but it was incredible progress. Roads were cleaner, better buildings around and i didn't get any sort of health problems. I actually now wouldn't mind living in a few big Indian cities (Dehli, Madras and etc).

India is developing at a rate faster than anyone (besides China) and though India can no way claim it is a rich country or first world, the progress is there. Poverty, cleanliness and a few more issues are still there and need to be addressed urgently but it's hardly the worse place in the world anymore. Some parts of it are really good, some parts of it really bad. Just like every other country :coffee:

It's simple as this. 16 years back i went to India for the first time and had the biggest culture shock of my life. Poverty everywhere, really dirty, bad stench, badly developed buildings and roads . We planned our trip for 4 weeks but it was cut short to 2 weeks because i was having the worst fever and diarrhea in my life due to food poisoning from all the un-hygienic food around. I vowed never to go back there.

This year, i went for the 2nd time and voila. India has really improved since that 16 years. Huge, huge improvement. Sure poverty was still around but it was incredible progress. Roads were cleaner, better buildings around and i didn't get any sort of health problems. I actually now wouldn't mind living in a few big Indian cities (Dehli, Madras and etc).

India is developing at a rate faster than anyone (besides China) and though India can no way claim it is a rich country or first world, the progress is there. Poverty, cleanliness and a few more issues are still there and need to be addressed urgently but it's hardly the worse place in the world anymore. Some parts of it are really good, some parts of it really bad. Just like every other country :coffee:

A little hint for you.. Only 27% of Indian population lives in urban areas.. the poverty ratio in India is mostly in rural areas.. Link..

Cleaning roads in BIG cities does not increase the living standards of other 73% now does it?

But you know it, isn't it?

5000 Rs per month!! boy...IF a person earning Rs 5000 a month is living on pavements, he must be a real drunkard. Otherwise, a lot of well earning people live in a PG with all amenities, food, electricity backup, on a twin sharing basis within Rs 5000 pm. Even a family of 5 can decently live on that amount in cities like Delhi & Mumbai.

Another Indian living in denial & unwilling to accept REALITY -

India's Planning Commission, which helps sets economic policy, told the Supreme Court that the poverty line for the nation's cities was 578 rupees ($12.75) per person a month. For rural India, it's even lower at about 450 rupees ($9.93).

The World Bank global poverty line, at $1.25 a day or about $38 per month, is three times higher than India's urban level. Local activists say a better name for India's standard would be ``the starvation line.''

NEW DELHI: Every day, through scorching summers and chilly winters, Himmat pedals his bicycle rickshaw through New Delhi's crowded streets, earning barely enough to feed his family. But to India's government he is not poor, not even close.

The 5,000 rupees ($110) he earns a month pays for a tiny room with a single light bulb and no running water for his family of four. After buying just enough food to keep his family from starving, there is nothing left for medicine, new clothes for his children or savings. Still, Himmat is way above India's poverty line.

Rent for his room, which is no larger than 10 feet by 4 feet, costs 1,500 rupees ($33). He struggles to send his two children to a poorly run government school that costs him another 1,000 rupees ($22). The remaining 2,500 ($55) must pay for food, medicines and any other necessities for his family of four.

In the summer, he sends his wife and children back to their village in eastern India and sleeps on the sidewalk to save on rent. ``I am a very poor man. I can't imagine living on any less money,'' he said.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/111063-indias-stingy-definition-poverty-irks-critics.html

A little hint for you.. Only 27% of Indian population lives in urban areas.. the poverty ratio in India is mostly in rural areas..

Cleaning roads in BIG cities does not increase the living standards of other 73% now does it?

I was in India this time for 2 months and visited a lot of the rural villages and small cities. I would never want to live in rural areas of India, but hey, it was not the worse thing ever. Most rural areas throughout Asia look the same. Or maybe i was too busy enjoying the scenic view to notice anything :P

Have you been to India?

Hmm, you are located in HK? and you saying poverty are everywhere(BPL)? are you sure you live in HK? will you please tell me where can i find (BPL) people in HK? :lol:

Hmm, you are located in HK? and you saying poverty are everywhere(BPL)? are you sure you live in HK? will you please tell me where can i find (BPL) people in HK? :lol:

I'm Malaysian, dude :lol: My grandmother on my dad's side is Chinese, hence the Hong Kong flag. I've been to Hong Kong before and all i can say is no complaints.. it's a fascinating vibrant city.. One of the best in the world :partay:

I have enough of Indians boosting and foolish and insane false sense of superiority, their silly thinking that they have become “world richest country”.

They are one of the poorest countries in the world, despite their claims. The accumulation of wealth in few hands and thus skewed per capita income figures are giving them false sense of superiority. The fact is their per capita still is not much different from Pakistan. Pakistanis even though suffering for last 3 years due to corrupt PPP, but still live better life than common Indians.

We Pakistanis always blame our corrupt leaders and this fake war on terror, Afghan upheaval of last 30 years, which has dragged us back in Economic term.

The real face of India is exposed in this 2010 article in Guardian. More Indians are poor than sub-Saharan Africa. The poverty level in the whole state of MP was same as DR Congo.

The report says, poverty in parts of India is equal of not worst than that in Africa.

I say to Indians stop boosting, your country is dirt poor.

Boosting ? Boosting what ? Did you mean boasting ?

Look , if more people live in India than any where else in the world so logically there ought to be more poor in India than elsewhere .

What is the fuss ? ..Or was it meant to be a " I have shown India to be a bad country ' type thread .

I'm a Malaysian, dude :lol: My grandmother on my dad's side is Chinese, hence the Hong Kong flag. I've been to Hong Kong before and all i can say is no complaints.. it's a fascinating vibrant city.. One of the best in the world :partay:

I second this .

HK is great.

A little hint for you.. Only 27% of Indian population lives in urban areas.. the poverty ratio in India is mostly in rural areas.. Link..

Its 10 year old data. Good morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom