What's new

Modi talks to Aranab Goswami

I like the way he speaks mostly in a native Indian dialect, rather than English.

There is nothing wrong with English, I speak it myself, and find it useful.

But for national leaders I prefer it if they speak a native dialect, it doesn't have to be Mandarin but it should be some native dialect. Hu Jintao for instance never spoke English in public.

Exactly. In today's world, It's essential for a leader to be fluent in English. But, when addressing the nation, it has to be in the language of the masses.

8-)
10325759_774041655950256_8251294344769200116_n.jpg

I like the way he speaks mostly in a native Indian dialect, rather than English.

But for national leaders I prefer it if they speak a native dialect, it doesn't have to be Mandarin but it should be some native dialect. Hu Jintao for instance never spoke English in public.
That's easy for a Chinese leader to do, because you only have one language and two dialects. India has hundreds of languages and thousands of dialects. Just officially, we have 22 national languages. Which language can he speak in that everybody will find native? For many people in the south, hindi is more alien than english.

As it is, BJP has a problem that its core support was from the hindi heartland ("cow belt" as some call it). To expand their likeability to other regions, they have to connect with them.

Exactly. In today's world, It's essential for a leader to be fluent in English. But, when addressing the nation, it has to be in the language of the masses.
And which language is that?:azn:

That's easy for a Chinese leader to do, because you only have one language and two dialects. India has hundreds of languages and thousands of dialects. Just officially, we have 22 national languages. Which language can he speak in that everybody will find native? For many people in the south, hindi is more alien than english.

As it is, BJP has a problem that its core support was from the hindi heartland ("cow belt" as some call it). To expand their likeability to other regions, they have to connect with them.

Easier, yes.

Though China does have hundreds of different dialects, some are so different from each other that international scholars classify them as different languages. My native dialect is Cantonese, but I did have to learn Mandarin separately. If someone started speaking to me in Shanghainese I would have to do a huge amount of guesswork to figure out what they were saying.

Even if I understand English but don't understand Shanghainese, I would prefer it if national leaders spoke in the more native dialect. After all there are always subtitles.

Just my personal opinion. I didn't think Indians would agree, due to the different language situation over there.

Easier, yes.

Though China does have hundreds of different dialects, some are so different from each other that international scholars classify them as different languages. My native dialect is Cantonese, but I did have to learn Mandarin separately. If someone started speaking to me in Shanghainese I would have to do a huge amount of guesswork to figure out what they were saying.

Even if I understand English but don't understand Shanghainese, I would prefer it if national leaders spoke in the more native dialect. After all there are always subtitles.

Just my personal opinion. I didn't think Indians would agree, due to the different language situation over there.
The difference in Chinese languages is nothing compared to the difference in Indian ones. People from neighbouring states will not understand a word of the other's language, not to mention the script.

English might be the best choice to connect with the middle class (and above). Of course their own native language would be a lot dearer to them, but then there are so many of them that a leader cannot be expected to know them all.

Ex PM Narasimha Rao spoke 15 languages, but that's a rare exception.

thats the sign of a great leader.. but some people(haters) are questioning over his qualification his ability to speak in English.. its our national language FFS.. i really want Modi to win.. but there are reports of rigging poll station at various place.. the op parties will trying their life best to stop Modi.. coz they know he is not like other politicians who licks boots for appeasement..

Lets hope for the best finger crossed :)

thats the sign of a great leader.. but some people(haters) are questioning over his qualification his ability to speak in English.. its our national language FFS.. i really want Modi to win.. but there are reports of rigging poll station at various place.. the op parties will trying their life best to stop Modi.. coz they know he is not like other politicians who licks boots for appeasement..

Lets hope for the best finger crossed :)

It's ONE OF OUR national languages, among 21 others.

English speaking elitists can go duck themselves at the sight of Hindi speaking Modi. It's high time, the snooty snobbish anglophiles of India who run the corridoors of power understand that there is nothing wrong in speaking Hindi ( or other languages if they so be required to speak).

Back
Top Bottom