What's new

Mirages

EagleEyes

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
(Airforces monthly August 2005)

One of the biggest surprises at the show was the appearance of a Pakistan air force PAF Mirage 5EF # 96.747 with Sagem Defense Securite, a French avionics company long associated with Pakistan mirages. This history dates back to the ROSE (Retrofit Of Strike Element) I-II upgrade of the early 1990s: the firm is now embarking upon a Rose III upgrade.

ROSE III will considerably enhance the mirage pilot’s situation awareness via Sagem’s integration of a new Radar Warning Receiver two Multi-Function Display a Forward Looking Infra Red system and a Head Up Display, by virtue of the new system computer being installed. Although the ROSE III configuration has still not been finalized, according to one source, “a number of aircraft’s have been upgraded”
Although none have yet gone back to the PAF: All the work is carried out by Sagem, alongside PAF engineers at the mirage rebuild factory, Pakistan Aeronautical Complex PAC Kamra facility in Pakistan.

It is believed that 14 Mirage 5Efs will go through the ROSE III upgrade. These comprise ten of the original 33 Mirage 5Efs delivered in the late 1990s under the Sogerma/Sagem contract and another FOUR from the same deal which only found their way to the PAF last year after being stored in France for a number of years. The ten had not been upgraded to ROSE II standerd before delivery and had been used by 22 Sqn at Masroor for flying training.

I mantion and posted first ROSE II upgraded cockpit pictures on this forum and i mantion first time about ROSE 3 & 5 upgraditon programe, u are waiting for ROSE-5 news, my friend Aamir atended Paris air show and i will post some new picture of PAF's Mirage-5EF.

Well we have been hearing a lot about the rose upgrades and how this upgrade transforms the aircraft into something lethel but my question is what BVR missle is it using is it using the MICA or the famous Danial darter series this is seriously confusing since we know how secretive PAF really is by nature so technically speaking what missles is the Rose mirages using???????

Dear All,

Anyone cal tell me what is basic difference between Mirage2k series and latest Mirage 4k. I have read in an article that mirage 4k is capable of launch missiles for the target as far as 256km away is it true?

anyone please guide me in this.
regards,
abhi

Originally posted by abhishek@Dec 6 2005, 02:34 PM
Dear All,

Anyone cal tell me what is basic difference between Mirage2k series and latest Mirage 4k.  I have read in an article that mirage 4k is capable of launch missiles for the target as far as 256km away is it true?

anyone please guide me in this.
regards,
abhi
[post=4480]Quoted post[/post]​

MIRAGE 4000
* The "Mirage 4000" was a scaled-up version of the Mirage 2000, initially with twin SNECMA M53-2 engines. It was originally announced in late 1975 as the "Delta Super Mirage", with a mockup displayed two years later and first flight in early 1979. It is believed the project was riding on some degree of Saudi Arabian interest.

The Mirage 4000 had an empty weight 74% greater than that of the Mirage 2000. The Mirage 4000 was comparable in size to the US F-15 Eagle or the Russian Su-27 fighters. It had canards mounted on the air intakes.

The Mirage 4000 was a Dassault private venture. It was intended to be used as an interceptor and for low-level strike, with a warload of 8 tonnes (17,600 pounds) carried on 11 stores pylons. Extensive internal fuel tankage gave it long range. Like other Mirage delta fighters, it carried twin 30 millimeter cannon.

The aircraft was partly built of composite materials. Only one was built, and flew in test and demonstrations during the early 1980s, during which it was updated to SNECMA M53-5 engines.
Dassault had no buyers for the big Mirage 4000 and it was mothballed for a few years, but pulled out of retirement in 1986 with a spiffy new desert camouflage scheme to be used as a test platform for the Rafale fighter. By 1995, however, it had taken up permanent residence as an exhibit at the Paris Air & Space Museum.

But surprisingly at the end of 2005 the Indian Air Force (IAF) allegedly showed interest in this plane as their new Air Superiority Fighter. Although India is satisfied with its arsenal of MiG-29 and Sukhoi-30, it wants an alternative to Russia-developed aircraft in case there are problems in acquiring spare hardware.

Miro

Originally posted by miroslav@Dec 6 2005, 09:49 AM
MIRAGE 4000

Dassault had no buyers for the big Mirage 4000 and it was mothballed for a few years, but pulled out of retirement in 1986 with a spiffy new desert camouflage scheme to be used as a test platform for the Rafale fighter. .
Miro
[post=4484]Quoted post[/post]​
According to Doug Richardson's "West's Modern Fighters" saudis and iraqis were interested also in the 1980s in this plane but backed out probably it was too expensive(I know ....hard to believe)

Mirage 2000 and 4000 series is known to be expensive, even more expensive when you upgrade with the latest avionics, radar, range capablitiy. Its like how UAE did, but since they had money for the F-16s it didn't matter to them. They upgraded as many things (that are important) and created a highest most dangerous platform of F-16, the Block 60.

Pakistan went for this aircraft too, at some time, but was backed up after the price that came out to be. Now days Rafale is the only aircraft which French are really hard trying for. French dont even care about Mirages as its not latest anymore, and thats why they will easily give TOT to India.

I don't think so! because if we go for rafale, India will simply go for EUFTyfoon to encounter Rafales. thats why EUF Typhoon is the best option for PAF in my opinion.

BTW: are IAF su30MKI/Mig29/mirages2000s/4000s better than F16 block50/52/MLU/60??

Back
Top Bottom