fatman17

PDF THINK TANK: CONSULTANT
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Military Laptops For Sale on Pakistan's Black Market

By Nathan Hodge

February 13, 2009

Peshawar, Pakistan, has always had a reputation as a smuggler's paradise, the perfect place to score a 3,000 rupee Kalashnikov knockoff, a rusty Lee-Enfield or a nice block of hash. And as GlobalPost correspondent Shahan Mufti discovered, it's also a place where you can buy some off-the-shelf U.S. military equipment.

Mufti recently paid a visit to the Sitara Market on the city's western edge, and was able to pick up a ruggedized U.S. military laptop for $650. The laptop, which looks like it is part of a vehicle diagnostics kit, came with clear U.S. military markings. According to the story, the laptop also stored "identities of numerous military personnel and information about weaknesses and flaws in American military vehicles being employed in the war in Afghanistan."

Peshawar is just down the road from the Khyber Pass, which has become a crucial bottleneck for supplying U.S. and NATO troops in Afghanistan. In December, militants torched over 100 trucks at a supply depot in Peshawar; earlier this month, militants blew a bridge along the route. A Pentagon spokesman told GlobalPost that the supply line from Karachi to the Khyber Pass had seen “a fairly constant amount of pilferage or losses” as trucks driven by civilian contractors are attacked or looted, although he added that computers with sensitive information are typically not trucked through Pakistan.

It's not clear whether the laptop obtained by GlobalPost has any actual classified data stored on it -- but it certainly looks like sensitive information has the potential to fall in the wrong hands. Precarious security on the Khyber Pass route is one of the reasons the U.S. and NATO are looking for alternate ways to resupply Afghanistan.

This story, incidentally, is a nice scoop for GlobalPost, the recently launched Web-based international news service. GlobalPost was founded in response to diminishing international news coverage; this story, one hopes, is a good example of the kind of reporting their network of correspondents will deliver.

against whom
i think all resistance either talib or against talibs are against Pakistani state:(

Laptops are not the only thing you can pick up from the illicit markets on the outskirts of Peshawar. BDUs, PASGAT Helmets, Hydration Systems, and body armour are just a few things you will find if you look hard enough.

The Illegal Laptop trade has been going on for a while, you take the laptop as WYSIWYG, if you go home and turn it on (bluescreen of death) well then like the old saying goes "Let the Buyer, BEWARE"... Wiley Folk, them tribals!

In December, militants torched over 100 trucks at a supply depot in Peshawar; earlier this month, militants blew a bridge along the route. A Pentagon spokesman told GlobalPost that the supply line from Karachi to the Khyber Pass had seen “a fairly constant amount of pilferage or losses” as trucks driven by civilian contractors are attacked or looted,

Did you ever wondered how they are getting all the Intel about the Supply Movement ?
It looks Like Taliban also have some IT freaks to collect the data from Captured American Laptops and then Plan Raids on The Specified Targets.

I also heard that they are selling American Weapons, Uniforms, Boots, Zippo Lighters, daggers and any kind of stuff they can get from American Dead Bodies. American Helmets are the Most Prized Trophy for them.

can someone please post a catalogue with prices??!!N can we pay online through credit cards..I will do with a helmet to ride my bike..:chilli:

When NATO and U.S. run out of Afghanistan crying and leave their equipment behind; I got first dibs on one of them fancy M-1 Abram tanks. :victory:

I want those armored Humvees. The only way to drive in Pakistan.

Not only the laptops but military boots, camelbaks, hostlers, jackets, survival knives, helmets, rucksacks peak caps and what all and what not is available if you visit Bara market Peshawar or quetta.

But you have to search alot in order to get the variety and the best thing available.
An you hive to ge there yourself-no credit cards;)

I want those armored Humvees. The only way to drive in Pakistan.

Hey Asim, you will only require a Humvee if you ant to explore swat or Wana, rest of Pakistan will not harm you even if you bring a tricycle:pop:

can someone please post a catalogue with prices??!!N can we pay online through credit cards..I will do with a helmet to ride my bike..:chilli:

Those Helmets are Special Dude because there are Bullets Trapped Inside them that Failed to Penetrate Completely and were not able to do any damage to the American Soldier This Shows How Tough their Armour Really is BUT Unfortunately for the Americans the Full Face of the soldier was Not Protected by the Helmet

I had seen Pictures of These helmets in Pakistan. Many Pathans Elders are Keeping them as War Trophies.

Back
Top Bottom