What's new

Military Aviation Modelling : JF-17

Pakistan Air Force JF-17 Thunder (Plastic model) 20%OFF

Manufacturer : Trumpeter
Scale : 1/72
Release Date : Mid Jan., 2011

http://dc238.*******.com/img/0bcauT0n/0.6387709266720056/10133238a.jpg click to expand

Comments about each of the most common scales available

1/72
This is the most popular scale and most widely engineered by kit manufacturers with some 80%-90% of the model aircraft kit market being represented in this scale. The benefits of this particular scale seem to outweigh any other scale in terms of reaching a compromise (or "package") on all the facets of military aircraft scale modelling - which are price, subject availability, detail, complexity and the ability to display collections. There is also a plethora of aftermarket and extra detail accessories available and prices range for kits from around $10, and some of these (like the 90's-tooling Revell Me-262) are gems. By the sheer weight of subject and kit availability one can almost build any aircraft (s)he wishes to depict, and collections of 1/72 scale models can number into the thousands. One can also build up a whole theme of aircraft, such as "US Navy Fighters of WW2" and be confident that the collection would be fully complete at least of major types. Other than what has been already been stated, if there is a single major advantage of this scale, it is it's relative compactness in size while still maintaining a high degree of detail that can be achieved. This is the scale that I primarily and prefer to model in, and would be the scale I would recommend to new modellers out there wanting to get their teeth into aircraft modelling. The major disadvantage for this scale I feel is the level of detail that can be shown and accuracy (the smaller the scale, the harder to reproduce accuracy).

* Scale size - 1/72 works out to be 1 inch on the model equals 6 feet in real life.
* Advantages on other scales - 1/48, 1/32 & 1/24: size, price, subject availability; 1/144: Detail, accuracy, subject availability, complexity; 1/100: subject availability, detail.
* Where it cannot beat other scales - Smaller scales (1/144, 1/100) are of course smaller and easier to display and are also generally cheaper in price, easier to build and so forth. Larger scales (1/24, 1/32, 1/48) will outdo this scale in level of detail and complexity and in some cases accuracy.

1/48
Often referred to as "Quarter-scale" because of its imperial scale size conversion, it could be said that this scale is perhaps the veritable modeller scale (most authentic), but while popular with modellers it seems it is not so much with the manufacturers! This scale was also popular when wood models were being built as it was compact enough (since the main subject planes in general were smaller in real life than they are nowadays) yet at a point where detail was not being sacrificed. This scale also allows the ability to add enhanced details onto a model that perhaps cannot be replicated as well in the smaller 1/72 scale, such as moving surfaces, various positional components, folding wings, and so forth. Aftermarket detail sets in this scale generally allow the modeller to really spruce the kit up in many areas adding extra detail to the kit, such as a full cockpit lay out and ostensibly turning it into a static replica for competitions. Modellers often debate that this is the "true modellers" scale - that is, if you don't model in 1/48 then you are not really a modeller! This is generally of course tongue in cheek, but the fact remains that if you enter a model into a competition the chances of success appear substantially higher in this scale. Many more competition sub-categories are assigned to 1/48 than any other scale. The downside of 1/48 is that it can get a bit much for a "hobby" modeller to handle because you can get so caught up in the detailing aspect of the kit that the fun of just building a model can soon dissipate and the term "advanced modellers syndrome" where you breach the bounds of being a perfectionist and will not be satisfied with anything less may affect you. Of course there is also the price aspect as this scale is generally much more expensive than the smaller 1/72 scale. 1/48 is by far the second most popular modelling scale and one that if you do really want to build a replica with all the bells and whistles and perhaps enter a competition (other than going to a larger scale) then this is the one for you! It is I believe a great scale to show off a great replica that you have spent painstaking time to build and perfect.

* Scale size - 1/48 works out to be ¼ inch on the model equals 1 foot in real life.
* Advantages on other scales - 1/72: detail, complexity and in some cases accuracy; 1/32 & 1/24: size, price, better subject availability, less complex; 1/144: far more detail, subject availability, complexity and accuracy; 1/100: subject availability, detail. 1/48 also roughly matches the "O gauge" model railway scale which means you can use figures, cars etc from railway accessories for 1/48 aircraft dioramas. 1/48 also seems to be the general preferred scale for competitions and most sub-categories for awards are catered for in this scale and naturally also meaning that this scale is perhaps the best for competitions.
* Where it cannot beat other scales - Smaller scales (1/72, 1/144, 1/100) are of course smaller and easier to display and are also cheaper in price, easier to build and so forth, and of course could be argued as being more "fun". 1/72 in particular has much more subject availability. Larger scales (1/24, 1/32) will only outdo this scale in level of detail and further complexity. 1/48 will generally hold better price and subject availability over these larger scales.

1/32
From my research and understanding this scale has really only been around for the last decade or so - and I mean this in terms of being an actual line of scale between manufacturers as one-off 1/32 subjects were probably available many years ago. It is also my understanding that Revell launched this scale through a series of classic WW2 fighter kits and because of its popularity this has pushed the envelope into other areas, with some modern fighter aircraft even being catered for. There is also a reputation amongst modellers that this scale truly represents the most accurate depiction in model form thus far, and the level of detail that can be offered on these kits is obviously astounding. Internal moving parts and the like are not uncommon in kits of these size. There is a downside, the two major drawbacks are price and the space one of these large kits will take up to display! They are therefore much more suited to museum or model shop display cabinets where the work can be fully appreciated. Since the scale is also relatively new compared to the others, subject availability is not it's strongpoint and you will find that only some major aircraft types - generally fighters - have been produced thus far in kit form although in recent years other areas are being catered for.

* Scale size - 1/32 works out to be 3/8 inch (that's three-eighths) on the model equals 1 foot in real life.
* Advantages on other scales - 1/48; 1/100; 1/144 & 1/72: complexity, moving parts and level of detail; 1/24: size, price, generally less complex. 1/32 also works out to be the same scale that many car kits are made in (which was another reason why Revell chose to launch it) which means, like 1/48 above, you can use some figures and car kit accessories in diorama displays etc. To some extent you could also argue that this is one of the truly competition scales as accuracy and level of detail is arguably at its peak.
* Where it cannot beat other scales - Smaller scales (1/72, 1/48 1/144, 1/100) are of course smaller and easier to display and are also much cheaper in price, easier to build and so forth. Subject availability is also much higher in most other scales than 1/32. Larger 1/24 scale will really only outdo this scale in level of detail and complexity.

1/100
Faller originated this scale for model aircraft back in the 50's and in many cases it was viewed as not a moment too soon as some modellers were looking for the ultimate "easy scale to convert" in metric terms. In a unit of 100 (or 10, or 1000 etc) what could be possibly more easier to work with as far as converting to real life is concerned? The main advantage in this scale is that it was about 30% smaller than 1/72, therefore more compact yet was still generally able to retain as much detail as what the 72nd scale could offer (by virtue of being divisible by a unit of 10). But the scale never really took off to the extent that it was envisaged, probably more due to the fact that 1/72 had by that time taken a stranglehold on the hobby and modellers were not keen to convert, and subject availability nowadays is not very high. However, Tamiya had some excellent 1/100 kits.

* Scale size - 1/100 works out to be 3mm on the model equals 1 foot in real life - easy to convert given roughly 30cm in real life is a foot. It makes it extremely easy to measure up since you can divide the real thing by 100 or use metric units of 10.
* Advantages on other scales - First up, its metric unit makes it much easier to estimate measurements. 1/32 & 1/24: compactness, price, subject availability, less complex; 1/72: compactness, price, less complex and generally very comparable detail wise; 1/144: Detail, complexity; 1/48: compactness, price, less complex.
* Where it cannot beat other scales - 1/144 will outdo the 1/100 scale only in compactness, price and subject availability. Of course the next two immediately larger scales (1/72 & 1/48) will outdo this scale in detail, complexity and with far more subject availability on offer. The largest scales (1/24 & 1/32) will outdo this scale in level of detail and complexity.

1/144
Half the size of a 1/72 model in terms of scale, this scale is easily the most compact of all these featured scales and can house huge collections for a fraction of the volume and space that other sizes can, and ideal for apartment or flats where limited space is a requirement. It's huge drawcard therefore is it's size and since the mid 70's subject availability in this scale has sky rocketed. Airfix probably pioneered the scale with the release of many airliners, before Revell chimed in with a large range production of WW2 fighters and attack aircraft. Following on from this Otaki produced their own kits including some twin-engined Japanese bombers that even I managed to get a small collection of. Their kits have subsequently been reboxed by the same other manufacturers mentioned above. Finally, perhaps more recently regarded as the kings of 1/144 model aircraft is Minicraft, who have produced some excellent material in this scale. So this scale became quite popular quite quickly and of course another big bonus was that the price of kits was well in the "pocket money" level, attracting youngsters to the hobby. There is a downside to this scale and this is its detail. Because the aircraft are so small it is difficult to represent smaller surface detail objects, such as antennae and pitot tubes, and these are often omitted from the kits. Accuracy can also suffer, as some unique aircraft lines, curves and shapes are extremely difficult to portray accurately in this scale. There is some danger with poor kits in this scale, you may come across some pretty poor fitting examples and inaccurate depictions - but then that can happen in all other scales too. Bottom line, this scale is ideal if space and price are a major concern and you are not too hung up about having detail or absolute accuracy for your models.

* Scale size - 1/144 works out to be 1 inch on the model equals 12 feet in real life.
* Advantages on other scales - Smaller size, less complexity and of course price are the major benefits of 1/144 scale, and compared to some of the largest scales featured here, so is subject availability. Huge collections can be housed in small display cabinets and a lot of kits can be bought for the price of say one Tamiya 1/32 offering! Sometimes it is the only way modellers are able to get hold of or be able to build and display large aircraft (eg: 1/144 scale B-52 is bigger than most 1/72 modern day fighters!)
* Where it cannot beat other scales - Inaccuracy and detail are two of its major drawbacks because of its tiny size these are obviously extremely difficult to replicate.

1/24
Airfix are said to have initiated this scale when they released their massive Mk.1 Spitfire in 1970, with nearly every bit of detail on the inside and outside of the aircraft that a modeller could possibly wish for, as they have also with most of the other kits in this scale they have released so far. Of course the major drawbacks for this scale are price (kits are often very expensive due to the size) and the sheer number of components needed to make them; subject availability (there are very few kits available in this scale and generally limited to smaller subjects, such as light aircraft and WW2 fighters); complexity (models are much more difficult to make than the smaller scales and a small blemish on a 1/72 model in this scale would be easily spotted as it is scaled up threefold, also problems in construction are bigger and short cuts cannot be taken to produce a truly impressive model); and size (these models are BIG and you will run out of room pretty quickly to display them!). But for the more experienced modeller a well completed 1/24 kit will look extremely impressive and this would make an excellent addition to the museum display cabinet!

* Scale size - 1/24 is a pretty easy conversion as it works out to be ½ inch on the model equals 1 foot in real life.
* Advantages on other scales - 1/24 really only has one major advantage over all the other scales featured which is its obviously its detail. These models are big and impressive, provide the modeller with more challenge and complexity and can be regarded as perhaps the true "museum" scale.
* Where it cannot beat other scales - In almost all other areas; price, less complexity, subject availability, compactness and so forth sees the 1/24 scale is disadvantaged.

OTHER SCALES
By no stretch of the imagination are the scales above supposed to be indicative of the only aircraft kit scales offered out there. Kits can be found in many other scales, especially those which date back to the 1960's. For example, Heller produced aircraft kits in 1:50 and 1:125 scales; Hasegawa in 1:16 and 1:200 scales; Frog in 1:67, Revell have produced helicopter kits in 1:35 and other offerings from major and one-off manufacturers in 1:76; 1:96 and 1:20 scales to name but a few. However, the above featured scales are primarily the most common scales available today and therefore discussed.

Last edited:
trumpeter website

TRUMPETER?china?????

jf17

10133238b.jpg

7-10122915254427.jpg

7-10122915255828.jpg

7-10122915260529.jpg

7-10122915261330.jpg

Don't take me wrong all the members but I never seen that much passion of adults with toys like this. jeo....

They are scale models i doubt any kid would even be able to put one of these together. I think they are quite cool. The detail is great on them.

here is a J-10 one

IMG_5714A.jpg

i made my first when i was in 6th grade -- bought the kit from the airbase on 6th september --- mig21 bis --- i remember i used permanant markers to colour it --hahaha

Hi, how do you load an image from your PC to the forum? Thanks!

I gota get both models thunder & j-10b :) i am currently working on a mirage model but it is taking me forever on the details as i have not much time but when iam done will post pic's you guys can see the PAF f-16C i have made you can see it in my profile albums :pakistan:

http://dc299.*******.com/img/36JgaL2i/0.33163583809550257/012711_055901.jpg

my first lot of models [about 10 years back] --- these ones got damaged thanks to an overzealous miad, who wanted to wipe off the last millimeter of dust from them

I Feel your pain dude I have many of my models destroyed by maids !

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom